It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:05

Storing water-based paint

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2016, 20:34

Andyp wrote:I wonder what customs (both sides) would think if they spied it in the back of the car. Tempted to try.

Is Creosote outlawed in France too Andy? It is fashionable here to blame any nanny state rules/ban on the EU but I honestly know where the UK band stems from as it can still be used by professionals but not by joe/jane public.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 15 Jun 2016, 20:42

Andyp wrote:I wonder what customs (both sides) would think if they spied it in the back of the car. Tempted to try.

Just tell them it's French coffee :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 15 Jun 2016, 21:54

As a teenager I made fence panels to earn pocket money. We had a tank 8 ft square and 18 inches deep that was half full of the real stuff, at the end of Saturday we would dunk the new panels into it for a few minutes. We had a draining rack on which they were stood to drip dry. If the colour was a bit light then old engine oil was added to the tank. I don't remember anyone ever complaining their fence had rotted.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 15 Jun 2016, 23:06

It might be good as a protective but it's been banned for a long time with most tar products as they are carncegenious - the nasties leach into ground water, then into rivers killing fish, wildlife etc.
Whenever tar products were disturbed in highway schemes the tar macadam for example had to be removed and taken to special tips.
Tarmac is no longer used and has been replaced with Bitumen or asphalt products.
I'm surprised they still allow professionals to use it?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Jun 2016, 08:31

9fingers wrote:

Is Creosote outlawed in France too Andy? It is fashionable here to blame any nanny state rules/ban on the EU but I honestly know where the UK band stems from as it can still be used by professionals but not by joe/jane public.

Bob

I would image so Bob, certainly only the "natural" substitutes are readily available. If it was available to professionals then authentication would be less lax with Comapny reg Numbers etc being required.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 16 Jun 2016, 13:05

Rod wrote:It might be good as a protective but it's been banned for a long time with most tar products as they are carncegenious - the nasties leach into ground water, then into rivers killing fish, wildlife etc.
Whenever tar products were disturbed in highway schemes the tar macadam for example had to be removed and taken to special tips.
Tarmac is no longer used and has been replaced with Bitumen or asphalt products.
I'm surprised they still allow professionals to use it?

Rod

Interesting Rod .. I assumed it was just the danger to the user, as it was still available.
Also, didn't know about Tarmac ! ..

I can see another couple of hours lost googling(learning!) :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 16 Jun 2016, 14:54

I always remember using it when I was a kid and remember the irritation if you got splashed and your clothes stank. The stuff local is called creocote and is pants
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 16 Jun 2016, 17:14

In 2008, the Environmental Protection Agency completed a reassessment of creosote and other wood preservatives. The EPA concluded that although creosote is a potential health risk, especially for workers in wood-treatment plants, its value as a preservative outweighs the risks, and the agency allowed its continued use as a pesticide, provided that all safety and handling guidelines were followed in its manufacture and use. The EPA did, however, specify that creosote only be used in commercial applications and not in residential contexts.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Jun 2016, 17:22

I guess that the EPA concluded that a farmers and professional would be far more responsible in the way they sloshed it about. Certainly not by experience as far as farmers are concerned.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Previous

Return to Tips & Tutorials