It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:17

Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Postby DaveL » 11 Sep 2016, 09:27

The wood burner does not want to gleam, look for some high temperature matt black paint, it's often used for car/bike exhaust pipes. Just a quick wire brushing before you apply the paint should do the job.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 11 Sep 2016, 10:26

ScotlandtheDave wrote:.....I'll be keen to see how you tackle the doors......

Half-lap joints are the answer. Sash cramps may not be.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 11 Sep 2016, 10:49

Mike - the door i made initially...a first attempt and when i time to play with and was rushing to get watertight....worked fine except that when the wood dried, (it was wet pressure treated) it shrank. Hence a now ineffective door with 2mm gaps between each board. I was going to do the same again but with dry T+G, well sealed with paint and sash cramps, am I planning to fail? :oops:

This was the plan I used originally...

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building.com ... _door.html

The original iteration...

cheers,

Dan :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby 9fingers » 11 Sep 2016, 11:07

Cramping your boards up tight with sash cramps is going to end in tears when the wood swells in the winter.

Define the door width by the horizontal rails and mount the outer boards on those infilling with T&G with say 2mm gap between boards.
Use only one fixing per board per rail (or brace) in the centre to allow each board to move at will.

Mount hinges and latches on the rails not on the boards

Try and use boards that are as near quarter sawn as you can get to reduce the risk of cupping.

my 2p
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 11 Sep 2016, 11:14

You've got direct evidence of the amount of shrinkage you can expect, Dan. If that is less than the depth of the tongues, then you'll probably be OK. However, tongues are generally fairly shallow (guessing at 6mm or so), whereas if you do half-laps, you can make them as deep as you like and thereby cover any amount of potential shrinkage. The gaps between the boards on my doors open up by at least 5mm in places in the middle of summer compared with the winter, so I'm grateful for the 12mm laps that I've got. Besides, call me cheap.........but sawn square-edged boards are much cheaper than T&G.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Sep 2016, 11:15

9fingers wrote:Cramping your boards up tight with sash cramps is going to end in tears when the wood swells in the winter.......

Indeed. The alternative being to build your doors in the middle of winter.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 11 Sep 2016, 16:32

if you really feel the need to paint the stove, do it now, while it's still warm. as when you light it for the 1st couple of times, you will need all the doors and windows open !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Sep 2016, 22:15

Mike G wrote: I can't understand how people work on something that looks like their dining table, all mirror-flat and perfectly finished!

Would like one though, like the Samurai has, even if just to admire....! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Sep 2016, 22:21

Rod wrote:I use an ex school bench bought 30 odd years ago for £20.

A team at work are relocating and they've got a beautiful old school bench just like you mention, I've managed to get first dibbs on it when they finally go! (Trying to hurry them up) :?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Sep 2016, 22:25

DaveL wrote:The wood burner does not want to gleam, look for some high temperature matt black paint, it's often used for car/bike exhaust pipes. Just a quick wire brushing before you apply the paint should do the job.

Perfect - sounds straightforward. I think I might have got carried away with a Wallace type restoration, a wire brush is probably more my thing... :oops:
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Sep 2016, 22:32

Gents re the door, and forgive ignorance - by half lap do you mean the boards laid slightly over each other like feather edge install but vertical?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2016, 07:53

No, Dan, I mean having a rebate running along each edge to create an overlap. The boards lay flat.

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 13 Sep 2016, 10:28

What kind of size rebate would you allow?
Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 13 Sep 2016, 10:50

Ah Ha! All becomes clear, I was looking at your photos and trying to work out why they look like just parallel boards, and you were talking about a half lap. :oops: Im on it this this weekend with a 12mm rebate....thank you Mike. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 13 Sep 2016, 22:11

Tusses wrote:if you really feel the need to paint the stove, do it now, while it's still warm. as when you light it for the 1st couple of times, you will need all the doors and windows open !

Its a practical thing, I have a humidity sensor within, and its almost permanently above 70% humidity and so i want to try to limit the rust issue on the stove. I have a dehumidifier, which I do use, but until I deal with the gaps in the doors/windows and restrict airflow, I wont ever get a dryer shed. :twisted:
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Tusses » 14 Sep 2016, 15:29

Dan0741 wrote:
Tusses wrote:if you really feel the need to paint the stove, do it now, while it's still warm. as when you light it for the 1st couple of times, you will need all the doors and windows open !

Its a practical thing, I have a humidity sensor within, and its almost permanently above 70% humidity and so i want to try to limit the rust issue on the stove. I have a dehumidifier, which I do use, but until I deal with the gaps in the doors/windows and restrict airflow, I wont ever get a dryer shed. :twisted:

Just say'in' from experience .. new paint stinks when you light the stove , so do it whilst it's warm :-)

My Shop humidity is 31 at the mo' , on the digital hygro, ..
Oh, and the doors are open and fans on, as it's blooooooomin hot !!!

are your floors damp proofed ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 14 Sep 2016, 20:50

Yup and insulated under that with 100mm of celotex. I just need to deal with the apertures and then I will get a more accurate assessment of where im at on moisture. im not sure its actually ever properly dried out yet, even the concrete slab has only just been in a year. So hoping it will settle down.... :?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Jimmy Mack » 21 Sep 2016, 22:24

Workshop looks great Dan

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 22 Sep 2016, 08:07

Dan0741 wrote:

Don't seal them up too well Dan, carbon monoxide is a silent killer remember to allow adequate ventilation for your stove.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 22 Sep 2016, 18:06

Dan0741 wrote:Ah Ha! All becomes clear, I was looking at your photos and trying to work out why they look like just parallel boards, and you were talking about a half lap. :oops: Im on it this this weekend with a 12mm rebate....thank you Mike. :D

Hope it goes well Dan. I need to do a bit of door making shortly so anything you can post on the process would be much appreciated.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Dan0741 » 22 Sep 2016, 20:01

Doug wrote:
Dan0741 wrote:

Don't seal them up too well Dan, carbon monoxide is a silent killer remember to allow adequate ventilation for your stove.

I agree entirely, we have a stove in the lounge, and a carbon monoxide alarm next to it, and one next to the boiler the other end of the house.

I wouldn't have a stove without one.

Having said all that, I don't think my finished envelope will ever be good enough to have a concern like that! :oops:
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 22 Sep 2016, 20:04

Wizard9999 wrote:
Dan0741 wrote:Ah Ha! All becomes clear, I was looking at your photos and trying to work out why they look like just parallel boards, and you were talking about a half lap. :oops: Im on it this this weekend with a 12mm rebate....thank you Mike. :D

Hope it goes well Dan. I need to do a bit of door making shortly so anything you can post on the process would be much appreciated.

Terry.

Will do Terry. The good thing about photos is that we can make all the errors in advance :? and publish finished perfection(ish)! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Wizard9999 » 26 Sep 2016, 19:34

Any sign of those doors yet Dan? I may be making some at the weekend and need a tutorial sharpish :lol:

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Dan0741 » 26 Sep 2016, 22:03

So Terry, here we are...

And its a straight copy of Mikes...more or less.

I managed to get my hands on some floorboards virtually free, so I used them, accepting for a number of reasons I may have to remake them...they are about 25mm thick.They have a T+G which I have used, but should this cause me any problems, I will whip of the sides and make a half lap. The groove is about 6mm deep.

The horizontal bits and the angled bits are already trimmed so the T+G is removed, as are the sides of the door for the same reason.

I have managed to bend the 3 hinges, (I think in the right place) but want to get them painted fully with a couple of coats etc before I remove the existing door and fit the new one.

This is the one for the front, and I will see how this goes before making the double doors at the side.

One thing I would say is that I deliberately made this door large. Its about 2100mm tall and 900mm wide. This is just to ensure its practical, and that I can get larger items in and out. Im glad I did this still but it makes for a very large door, and fitting it will be harder work.

This design seems to work ok though so time will tell how the moisture expansion affects them. I enjoyed making it so lets see if its effective! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Sep 2016, 22:07

Nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds