It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:43

Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 20 Oct 2016, 22:32

Thanks very much Dan, very helpful indeed! Yes I wished I'd made the doors a bit more generous as I originally had the c.1m wide, but forgot to account for door hardware and jambs etc. You live and learn though :)

Your door is looking great though

David
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Oct 2016, 23:16

Nice. I'm going to nick most of those tricks! But didn't you nick them from MikeG?!! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Hully » 27 Oct 2016, 12:47

Hi Dan

Workshop is looking great. Can I ask where you got your Larch feather edge from?

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 27 Oct 2016, 17:36

Hully,

http://www.uksleepers.co.uk/

This is one of the names of a group of companies that are all in fact the same company (if that makes sense). I have bought larch feather edge, 40 sleepers and some oak boards from them. I think they are very reasonable and I searched round for a competitive price and they were better than anything in the midlands.

Interestingly, in an effort to save costs I opted for the variable length option, as I had never done any feather edge before and I didn't realise the difference it would make. But they sent it in a batch of all 4.2m so in all it was very good value.

They are linked (part of the same group) to a sawmill at...http://www.brigstocksawmill.co.uk/

Would definitely use again.

Happy cladding ;)
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Dan0741 » 27 Oct 2016, 17:47

Malc2098 wrote:Nice. I'm going to nick most of those tricks! But didn't you nick them from MikeG?!! :)

Malc - I have unashamedly used ideas from Mike and also others on the forum. You cant argue with common sense and bearing in mind my level of knowledge before I started I can safely say that all I have learnt has come from this forum or YouTube. Surprising really isn't it!

If anyone doesn't want their work replicated I would'nt expect them to post.

The only responsibility I feel is that if something didn't go well to say so.

Only so that those that follow don't make the same errors!

:D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Oct 2016, 18:23

You're absolutely right and I wouldn't have been able to get my project off the ground, or rather onto the screen, without all these blokes' experience, knowledge and willingness to share.

Stuff's about to get exciting at Chez Malc with the groundworkers' promise to start on Monday morning!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 27 Oct 2016, 20:37

Dan0741 wrote:.......If anyone doesn't want their work replicated I would'nt expect them to post......

Exactly. The main reason I post is so that others can copy.

And to keep my family up to date with what's happening ;).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Oct 2016, 21:05

:eusa-clap:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Hully » 28 Oct 2016, 10:17

Dan0741 wrote:Hully,

http://www.uksleepers.co.uk/

This is one of the names of a group of companies that are all in fact the same company (if that makes sense). I have bought larch feather edge, 40 sleepers and some oak boards from them. I think they are very reasonable and I searched round for a competitive price and they were better than anything in the midlands.

Interestingly, in an effort to save costs I opted for the variable length option, as I had never done any feather edge before and I didn't realise the difference it would make. But they sent it in a batch of all 4.2m so in all it was very good value.

They are linked (part of the same group) to a sawmill at...http://www.brigstocksawmill.co.uk/

Would definitely use again.

Happy cladding ;)

Great, cheers Dan.
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 07 Dec 2016, 23:22

So Gents just a quick one, Im getting round to the interior cladding. I have some old reclaimed pine T+G which I need to jet wash etc, but was wondering about the vapour barrier. The internal wall build looks like this...

...and I want to clad with the T+G. I have a couple of DPM sheets spare and wondered if I could use this effectively as a rather robust vapour barrier, or will it cause me problems? I was just planning to staple it to the wall and then apply cladding.

Any issues with this?

Dan0741
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 07 Dec 2016, 23:30

DPC plastic tends to have no UV resistance so providing none of it can get to see the sun, you should be fine.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 08 Dec 2016, 08:36

Dan0741 wrote:.......I have a couple of DPM sheets spare and wondered if I could use this effectively as a rather robust vapour barrier, or will it cause me problems? I was just planning to staple it to the wall and then apply cladding.......

None. You have to be careful of service penetrations, but in a workshop with surface mounted wiring and no plumbing this won't be a problem.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 08 Dec 2016, 18:10

Gents - Perfect thank you, will be careful to ensure coverage so UV no issue and as you say electrics will be surface mounted. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 21 Dec 2016, 22:30

So today I fitted a window - a new one for me and was surprised how straightforward it was. I have had a temporary one fitted for a while.

This is the jury rigged version...

this is the aperture...

And this is the finally fitted window.

I need to get some foam around it and silicone finish but overall for a first effort I'm quite pleased with it! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Dec 2016, 23:15

Loving the black and white zebra effect!! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Dan0741 » 29 Dec 2016, 22:22

Guys - any thoughts on the internal reclaimed t+g - Its 120mm wide and the guidance is that if its over 100mm wide it requires two fixings per board, im not sure its necessary given its internal and wont have wind load moisture etc to deal with, ive tried both methods to test stability seems unaffected? Sorry about the poor photo quality the light isn't good - the screws have cup washers to assist the grip.

Dan0741
Sapling

Postby old » 30 Dec 2016, 08:46

The internal cladding looks very dark in color and is it liable to shrink as its reclaimed .Personally i would go for something stable and paint it a light color as i need as much light in the shop as possible .Of course you could stabilize and paint both sides of the t&g if you have it to hand.
old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2016, 10:55

That does seem very dark for an internal surface. Will it be painted?

Window looks good.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dan0741 » 30 Dec 2016, 20:29

I know its dark, and wont reflect light well but I like it and plan to have decent lighting. The reclaimed boards are very damp at the mo as I power washed them, it will need to stand inside with dehumidifier/fan heater for a while before installation. Its under a tarp in the garden currently getting the worst of the water off with the wind...

I installed the ply boards that im having at the bottom of the walls today, and the vapour barrier. The dangling strings are so that I know where the studs are now they are hidden.

Ive thought about this interior cladding and boards combo and think I will quite like it, albeit I know not to everyones taste. Will have to see when the wall is complete. :?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Hully » 16 Jan 2017, 15:50

Dan0741 wrote:So today I fitted a window - a new one for me and was surprised how straightforward it was. I have had a temporary one fitted for a while.

this is the aperture...

And this is the finally fitted window.

I need to get some foam around it and silicone finish but overall for a first effort I'm quite pleased with it! :D

Great looking window Dan. The workshop is looking dangerously close to completion :eusa-dance:

I'm installing a similar window so looking at this with interest. Any lessons learnt you can impart? Is that some self-adhesive flashing I see on the base of the window framing?

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 16 Jan 2017, 23:20

Hully - Not sure what stage you are at but it took me quite a bit of faffing to get these windows sorted.

They are all done now except the grey silicone on the outside , the end caps, and the wooden presentational inserts to finish of the framing on the inside.

The advice I would give, that I didn't follow myself...is to plan the finish so that the window is neat and the surrounds are in the right place. I am going to have to Mcguyver the finish but no great drama.

I decided I wanted painted wooden boards surrounding the windows, as I liked the visual effect, but only on the three sides.(Not bottom) so I measured up apertures taking off the thickness of the boards I wanted to install.

I then took off 10mm on each of the two dimensions - vertical and then horizontal so as to leave 5mm gap each side - this is where accurate framing helps!

What you need to clarify if you are ordering the windows is if the window sill dimensions are included or not. Mine came with separate sills but the measurements were catered for.

Im not sure if its the correct method but I screwed the window sill in first, the 'horns' or whatever they are called,took some jiggery pokery but just took my time to make sure it was neat, and all the cuts were within the tolerances that will be covered by sealant.

I used stainless steel 3 inch screws and made sure all the screw holes were dabbed with silicone so that when the screw was screwed home they were sealed.

I then popped the windows on top of the sills and ensured they were seated correctly, this is quite important so as to ensure that they all drain effectively.

I made sure that each screw location had packers between window and aperture so that when screw was pulled tight it didn't twist or bend the window frame. I put in two fixings per side, and the same top and bottom, so 8 in total each window.

Important obviously to ensure level and plumb...and its easy for this to change mid set up so keep checking.

Once installed I applied expanding foam around the window, (after cursing for having previously disposed of the very fine plastic nozzles...) I have since cut this foam neat and will be later be installing a wooden surround/framing to ensure the edges are all covered etc. Quite surprised how stiff the foam makes the window, so worth doing if you have enough gap.

Installing the glass afterwards was straightforward, but be aware that there is an inside and outside face, not exactly sure of the difference, but there must be differences as mine came with stickers all over saying which side was the inside.

Before you foam and install glass make sure the windows open if you have openings, as this is much easier to sort at this stage as you might have stressed the frame, and once the glass is in and they are surrounded by foam this will be a long job to resolve...

Happy window fitting Hully! :D

PS No Flashing - they come wrapped and they are now all stripped of their plastic.
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Hully » 18 Jan 2017, 20:34

Great info Dan. Thanks very much!!
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 23 Jan 2017, 14:10

So I have been asked to clarify the way I used the cross piece for the feather edge cladding. I must admit whilst I used the tactic as demonstrated from Mikes thread, I think I adjusted it a bit.

First, I started with two of them, (the crucifix's) one each end, but in the end reverted to one, so that all measurements were exact, and there was no requirement to swap ends. I found this easier, others may not.

This is my crucifix, a few bits to note.

In a rush it's top can be confused so an arrow avoids that.

There is a screw strategically placed. This is in such a position as to place a punched mark on the feather edge board where the fixing needs to be placed.

I will confess I followed the installation guidelines from Mike to the letter - one nail per board per batten. I did go one step further and pre drilled all the holes also. When you are measuring up and painting etc, and I did paint ends, bottom and top of each board, pre drilling doesn't really add any time and I feel it also reduces the chance of splitting. Especially if you are within 100mm of the board end. I drilled a larger hole than the nail by a couple of mm, and used stainless annular ring shank nails. Ive has no splits yet or nails moved.

When the crucifix is offered up to the board it immediately enables a couple of measurements. The first is the top of the crucifix which can be marked with a pencil if you wish, but also the next board can be balanced on the top. The screw also places a mark in the board where the fixing can be placed, This fixing needs to hold the board in place but avoid going through the board behind it. This point can be marked if you wish, and it makes it easier.

You will know the fixing spacing along the board because the battens placed at no more than 600mm spacings, are visible and in your eye line when you are making these marks with your crucifix.

So this is what your crucifix looks like when offered to board...

Leaving the marks looking like this..

The bottom mark made by screw is where you put your fixing.

The mark above is the location of the bottom of the board above.

Clearly, the manufacture of the crucifix is critical, and is based on the size of the boards, what spacing (overlap) of boards you want, I think 25/30mm is recommended (?) and where you feel you want the fixings, and I would encourage a bit of a dry run with a few off cuts to refine this to ones liking.

Depending on the size of your shed some of these lengths will be quite long, and I would encourage you to knock up a quick bench with stops that keep the board level in relation to your saw so each piece can be sawn square quickly. You can also add stops if you are sawing more than one board the same length.

There are variations clearly on this, and I think the original process as per Mikes thread, has the screws being screwed into the board fixing the crucifix so as to provide a couple of 'stops' or supports for the board above. This would work equally well but i preferred my method having tried both.

Last edited by Dan0741 on 23 Jan 2017, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jan 2017, 16:39

Thanks, Dan. I'll pin that up on the framing when I get to cladding mine!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 23 Jan 2017, 16:43

The best jigs are often the often the simplest.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds