It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:33

Worth the money…?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Worth the money…?

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Oct 2016, 11:43

I know what we all think about Rutlands and their service (and some of their products) but anyone know anything about this in terms of quality and whether it's worth it at that price…?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Worth the money…?

Postby Robert » 24 Oct 2016, 12:46

No idea but 70mm overall for the chuck body seems pretty small.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 24 Oct 2016, 14:04

One plus point seems that it not a Rutlands own brand (usually Dakota).

I see them on Amazon etc too. This should mean there should be reviews on turners forums etc

I tend to agree with Robert on the size certainly for an engineering lathe where the chuck is nearly always bigger then the workpiece but wood is different and I don't have any experience. Maybe a note to Dalboy and or DaveL who seem to spend time spinning wood.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Doug » 24 Oct 2016, 14:06

A friend bought one earlier in the year when they were on offer, it is a small chuck but his lathe doesn't have large capacities so ideal for him & he's pleased with it.
When you consider the cost of a normal sized chuck & 4 sets of jaws it's not a bad price at all.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Oct 2016, 14:22

Doug wrote:A friend bought one earlier in the year when they were on offer, it is a small chuck but his lathe doesn't have large capacities so ideal for him & he's pleased with it.
When you consider the cost of a normal sized chuck & 4 sets of jaws it's not a bad price at all.

Thanks Doug

I don't/haven't done any chucked work thus far and my lathe is okay but not the biggest so this might do in terms of getting me moving forwards in that space. The thing that tempted me is the number of different items for the price. I know I could buy much better individual ones but that's a lot of options for decent money, just wanted a view on whether they are decent quality or not, which it sounds like they are (well not terrible at least..).

I'll ponder for the rest of the day.

Cheers to the rest of you for your inputs too. Appreciate the size comments but I've never done any chuck work so at the moment I don't want to spend loads in case it's something I don't do going forwards.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 24 Oct 2016, 14:49

TrimTheKing wrote:
Doug wrote:A friend bought one earlier in the year when they were on offer, it is a small chuck but his lathe doesn't have large capacities so ideal for him & he's pleased with it.

Thanks Doug

I don't/haven't done any chucked work thus far and my lathe is okay but not the biggest so this might do in terms of getting me moving forwards in that space. The thing that tempted me is the number of different items for the price. I know I could buy much better individual ones but that's a lot of options for decent money, just wanted a view on whether they are decent quality or not, which it sounds like they are (well not terrible at least..).

Cheers to the rest of you for your inputs too. Appreciate the size comments but I've never done any chuck work so at the moment I don't want to spend loads in case it's something I don't do going forwards.

Cheers
Mark

Maybe a sanity check against the AXi ones? Size for price etc.
I've seen those being made and the quality is top notch. The story they like to tell is that they could not get the quality they want buying from the far East so set up a machine shop to make their own. Their set up is impressive.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Oct 2016, 14:54

9fingers wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:

Thanks Doug

Cheers
Mark

I've seen those being made and the quality is top notch. The story they like to tell is that they could not get the quality they want buying from the far East so set up a machine shop to make their own. Their set up is impressive.

Will do, thanks Bob.

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Dalboy » 24 Oct 2016, 16:56

Something like this set may be OK for smaller projects but just remember that when buying.

Not sure of the quality as I have not owned one or even seen one in the flesh. For the money and size restriction along with the set of jaws you get it does seem a good little deal
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 24 Oct 2016, 19:16

A quick look on the Axminster site shows their small chuck is 10mm bigger & £10 dearer without any jaws, you'd be looking at over double the Rutlands price for the Axminster equivalent.

Personally if I was spending that sort of money I'd opt (as I did) for the Versa chuck from Tool Post the beauty of which is you aren't tied to one manufacturer for Jaws, as the name suggests many manufacturers jaws will fit the Versa chuck.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Oct 2016, 12:10

9fingers wrote:

The only thing I would add is that all the Ax chucks are machined from stainless steel, so no issues of corrosion or any further treatment required to reduce the onset of rusticles. Fwiw, they're also exported to Canada and sold by Veritas - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Oct 2016, 14:02

Mark, can I also add that the Axi chucks will have a sell on value if you decide not to continue with the lathe.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 27 Oct 2016, 16:40

Nova G3 chuck

This is actually quite embarrassing. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I bought this Nova G3 chuck about 18 months ago just as we were packing to move. The chuck is fitted on the lathe with a piece of wood screwed on. Full stop.

It came with a woodworm screw, faceplate and one set of jaws, 50mm, with a T-handle.
Cost was ZAR1,700 which is about GBP113

Mark, that looks like a good buy.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Doug » 27 Oct 2016, 17:28

Really excellent chucks the Nova's Phil I had the big brother of the G3 the Super Nova 2 supplied with my lathe, I tend to keep my pin jaws on it these days.
As with most chucks the ball-ache is un-screwing & re-screwing the machine screws when wanting to change jaws which is why I like the Versa chuck as the jaws just scroll on & off.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 30 Oct 2016, 06:49

Doug wrote:Really excellent chucks the Nova's Phil I had the big brother of the G3 the Super Nova 2 supplied with my lathe, I tend to keep my pin jaws on it these days.
As with most chucks the ball-ache is un-screwing & re-screwing the machine screws when wanting to change jaws which is why I like the Versa chuck as the jaws just scroll on & off.

Doug, I surfed the Versachuck, from the writeup seems very good. Just cant find a YT of a demo.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 31 Oct 2016, 09:18

I know nothing about turning or equipment for it, but more generally Rutlands do not seem cheap.

The only exception I have found so far is an item called the Snap Check. This is made by iGauging, Rutlands don't identify it as made by iGauging but the pictures they use are the same as on iGauging's site and they are listed on the iGauging site as a seller for the UK. I want a Snap Check and it is a few pounds cheaper at Rutlands than at the only other UK source I know of (Woodworkers Workshop), so with the Halloween 12% off and free postage for orders of £50 I thought now was the time to buy. But after a substantial time I have been unable to gather a basket of £50 where even taking the deal into account it is not cheaper to buy elsewhere.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Doug » 31 Oct 2016, 09:31

Rutlands don't tend to be cheap Terry, I've only bought from them when they have a deal on a specific item or when they are offering a % off & free shipping. I noticed the chuck Mark linked too was cheaper on the deal than with the 12% off, you just have to shop around.

Like most home brand gear these days theirs tends to be poor quality though I've been very impressed with their casters http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... a+m_dk2054 & have them on 3 machines
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 31 Oct 2016, 09:35

Phil wrote:

Doug, I surfed the Versachuck, from the writeup seems very good. Just cant find a YT of a demo.

No I couldn't find anything on YT Phil which is a shame, if I get chance I'll see if I can video mine
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 Oct 2016, 13:09

Doug wrote:
Phil wrote:

No I couldn't find anything on YT Phil which is a shame, if I get chance I'll see if I can video mine

Thanks Doug.

Phil
Old Oak

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)