It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:06

New Car suggestions

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

New Car suggestions

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 15:35

I'm looking for suggestions for a totally practical new/nearly new car around the 2l mark

Having had a few niggly problems made 10x more awkward due to a transverse engine located half inside the car due to trendy snub nosed raked back windscreen designs.
Example: This year the engine had to come out £600 just to fit £25 of new glowplugs :twisted:

Ideally something with a sensible long bonnet, an inline engine fully accessible from under the bonnet and as a result, easy to work on. Oh yes from a mainstream maker to get spares and consumables with ease

Any suggestions chaps

tia

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: New Car suggestions

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Nov 2016, 16:55

I have a VW Passat 2010. Love it. Reliable, 1.9 Highline, long bonnet, big boot, generally lovely car.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 17:09

TrimTheKing wrote:I have a VW Passat 2010. Love it. Reliable, 1.9 Highline, long bonnet, big boot, generally lovely car.

Cheers
Mark

Which way round is the engine Mark? or maybe you have not opened that lol
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Nov 2016, 17:09

9fingers wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:I have a VW Passat 2010. Love it. Reliable, 1.9 Highline, long bonnet, big boot, generally lovely car.

Cheers
Mark

Which way round is the engine Mark? or maybe you have not opened that lol

Which way round…? :eusa-think:

Will a photo help?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 17:16

I suppose so but if you are opening the bonnet to take a photo you should see which way round the engine is?

Thanks for your help

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby tracerman » 07 Nov 2016, 17:18

Wot Bob is trying to say is he prefers engines to be North South , not East West .
Simple
Steve
PS I'm still mourning the demise of rear wheel drive , so my perfect car is North-South , 3.5 litre , engine with a cat-walk round it , cheap spares , and a Haynes Manual available . Opposite Lock ? loved it .
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Stargazer » 07 Nov 2016, 17:19

Beware older Passats, (pre 2005) they have an inline engine but drive the front wheels, problem is that you have to dismantle the entire front of the car to work on the cam belt, water/steering pump and tensioner.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Nov 2016, 17:19

9fingers wrote:I suppose so but if you are opening the bonnet to take a photo you should see which way round the engine is?

Thanks for your help

Bob

That assumes one knows the front from the back...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 17:31

Thanks Mark,

That is a transverse engine. Easy clue is the alternator in the front, so the crankshaft runs from side to side.

In googling pictures for the Passat I came across Audi A4 which seems to be inline. I'll have to drop into the dealership and upset them by asking about ease of DIY servicing :text-lol:

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stephen.wood125 » 07 Nov 2016, 18:23

:text-lol: Bob!

Yes, though I have seen a lot of the VAG cars with Longitudinal engines that need the whole front off for belts etc. I know the A5 definitely does.

Not sure about Volvo but I was impressed by the mechanism they use to take headlights out for bulb swaps in general their build looked pretty good and although the new screen/sides are more raked the estate still has reasonable amount of room.

Can't remember if its transverse mounting though.

I've a BMW mid life crisis mobile (428i convertible)it's a 2l twin screw turbo with 254 donkey power and it's great fun but would fail on several of your practicality metrics! (I still have a load of building materials I have to take to the tip!)
EDIT: I think the Volvo is transverse mounted. Sorry
:text-lol:

Stephen
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby RogerS » 07 Nov 2016, 18:27

Bob started to wonder if DIY was all it was cracked up to be :lol:

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Nov 2016, 18:37

Seriously though, Bob, what exactly do you want to DIY? I'm guessing that when you say 'new' you mean 'new to you'? The thing is that after 2004/5 most cars started going doolally with unnecessary electric/electronic gubbins.

Take the Discovery, for example. On the diesel engines there is an exhaust (IIRC) gate that will open after a certain period of time/under certain conditions. On my elderly Disco 2, it is a mechanical device and when push comes to shove, it strains a bit against the crud that has built-up and with a sigh of relief opens. On the Disco 3 they replaced it with a wimpish electric gizmo that strains and gives up and tells you that you need to book it into the garage.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 18:46

Currently I have the software to talk to my car not only to read codes etc but to monitor loads of parameters as I drive etc.
I like - no Demand! - to understand my car, diagnose faults and take a view as to who does the repairs.

The last straw was when my take mechanic and I had to take the engine out simply to change glow plugs. To me this is body designers having too much say over the practicality of doing running repairs to the vehicle.

As time goes on, I might choose to have my man do more of the horrid jobs but I just cannot contemplate not being able to look at the car and understand it and diagnose it.

If I hand over my car to someone and cannot discuss the issues or understand what they have done and why and if the bill is good value.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby DaveL » 07 Nov 2016, 18:50

I have one of the last Volvo V50's. It's like the Passat, big boot, longish bonnet, but transverse engine. I love the way the head lights can be slid out sideways to change the lamps, no tools required. The Drive version has a 1600 (1546) stop start diesel that means no road fund charge, just had the reminder I need to tell them it's going to be on the road for another year.
Its the fifth Volvo I have driven, the others were all company cars, I bought this one when I retired. The dealer prices for doing anything are very high but lots of independent business charge more affordable prices.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 07 Nov 2016, 19:54

9fingers wrote:.....
If I hand over my car to someone and cannot discuss the issues or understand what they have done and why and if the bill is good value.

Bob

But why bother ? It's a serious question. If you buy car X and the manufacturer has built-it such that you need to do X in order to Y, understanding it won't save you any ££££.

All cars have 'difficulties' for want of a better word. Even going back to something fairly basic like a Morris Minor. If you wanted to change the clutch, I think (IIRC) you had to take the engine out.

Far better IMO is to choose a car that regularly features in the top spot for reliability.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 07 Nov 2016, 20:01

The BMW 5 Series Estate or Audi A4 Estate would be a very cool choice. I know the Beemer is rear wheel drive, but not sure about the Audi - there's always the Quattro :eusa-drool: . They're both practical and stunning motors.

My father has just written off his Beemer, or we think it's a write-off - awaiting confirmation. He's now in two minds of going for another Beemer or maybe a Merc, but I feel the Beemer is favourite.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 07 Nov 2016, 20:10

How about a cute little convertible.

You certainly won't get much hassle with this little beauty. :lol:

In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 20:23

DaveL wrote:I have one of the last Volvo V50's. It's like the Passat, big boot, longish bonnet, but transverse engine. I love the way the head lights can be slid out sideways to change the lamps, no tools required. The Drive version has a 1600 (1546) stop start diesel that means no road fund charge, just had the reminder I need to tell them it's going to be on the road for another year.
Its the fifth Volvo I have driven, the others were all company cars, I bought this one when I retired. The dealer prices for doing anything are very high but lots of independent business charge more affordable prices.

Dave, The Volvo has some merit in as much as I think it has the ford engine that I'm familiar with and maybe my software will talk to it.
How much room is there down the back of the engine without removing the scuttle? I'm not totally fixated on an inline engine if I can readily get all round the engine for access.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby DaveL » 07 Nov 2016, 20:56

Its dark now Bob, I take a picture or two in the morning, if its not chucking it down. :D
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 21:12

DaveL wrote:Its dark now Bob, I take a picture or two in the morning, if its not chucking it down. :D

Much obliged Dave. No panic. This will be a gradual process. Lol
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Nov 2016, 21:42

Jaguar X Type Estate 2.2D - 1 careful owner, FSH, 148,000m, serviced every year. 45 to 55 MPG. Been brilliant.

Many parts interchangeable with Mondeo and Mazda 6.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Nov 2016, 22:00

Malc2098 wrote:Jaguar X Type Estate 2.2D - 1 careful owner, FSH, 148,000m, serviced every year. 45 to 55 MPG. Been brilliant.

I lied about the 'brilliant'!! In running terms it has been brilliant. It's the silly little stuff like the tailgate glass switch, the h/l lowering switch, the dash lights dimmer switch and the old favourite, leaking from the scuttle into the n/s passenger footwell, but I've done that one!

And The consumption is just that - we live 1 mile from the A361 North Devon Link Road and S/D No 1 lives in Aberdeen, 1 mile from the A90, 450 something miles away. Mway and fast dual carriageway all the way. At 70mph, 55 is the return consumption. Mixed driving brings it down to 45.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 07 Nov 2016, 23:40

Malc2098 wrote:Jaguar X Type Estate 2.2D - 1 careful owner, FSH, 148,000m, serviced every year. 45 to 55 MPG. Been brilliant.

The D is as in 'diesel' ? The last ''con" from the Labour Govt.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Nov 2016, 23:49

Pinch wrote:How about a cute little convertible.

You certainly won't get much hassle with this little beauty. :lol:

Since Brexit, you can't get the same calibre ammunition :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Nov 2016, 00:05

Bah, humbug! What you need, Bob, is something that commands respect and gets the job done. Sure, it's got a 3L diesel instead of just a 2L, but it should get about 35 mpg (assuming imperial gallons):

I'm pretty sure you can still park it in front of your house. :)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat