It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:55

Alcove Shelving

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Alcove Shelving

Postby Pinch » 27 Nov 2016, 10:47

Rich, I didn't think it was too bad, but I can be a bit OTT sometimes. Nothing to regret dear fellow, but if you would rather a clean up, no probs, I can do that. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby meccarroll » 27 Nov 2016, 13:18

Tusses wrote:I can't believe I typed all that last night !
I wasn't feeling my best .. had just woke up after sleeping for most of the afternoon.
I'm not best proud TBH ! :oops:
I'm happy to do a clean up if you like ?
You'll have to too, as you've quoted, and I can't tidy your posts !

No need, Rich. Daytime TV, Jeremy Kyle, no comparison :D
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Tusses » 27 Nov 2016, 15:33

lol .. ok, I'll leave it.

it's the gluten thing .. it really messes with my head !.
I can't remember day to day things for weeks .. have to write everything down that I or others say, and keep checking on the list .. and crossing it off if it's finished with !
I'll read a comment I thought was yesterday, and realise it was a week , or two ago ! :shock:
Then I'm in trouble with that customer order or whatever ! :oops:

Touch wood .. feeling good today, and getting on with earning a living. :D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 28 Nov 2016, 20:50

It's amazing how the gut can influence our brains/minds and the whole process of it all. I was definitely withdrawing last week from reducing the steroid dose down to one tab a day. I'm still not quite all there, but I hope this will change when I start the permanent meds in just under two weeks. Glad you had a good one yesterday chap. I had one of those darn annoying slow ones today and it took me almost two hours just to leave the house. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 28 Nov 2016, 22:06

yeah .. if you told anyone else, they would think you were crazy !

well .. in actual fact .... :lol: :oops:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 29 Nov 2016, 19:03

Tusses wrote:yeah .. if you told anyone else, they would think you were crazy !

well .. in actual fact .... :lol: :oops:

Was "you are" somewhere in there :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Nov 2016, 19:27

I finished this little job today.

On my way to the shop yesterday, I stopped at the local builder's merchant for some hinges, catches etc for the doors. When I arrived at the shop, there was a message from the client to say they've changed their minds and they no longer wanted doors. :lol: I made them last Friday afternoon ready for today's fit. Anyway, moving on.....

Here is the sitting room wall on the day I started to install the open fronted shelf units. You can see the client started sorting out the electrical sockets in prep of moving two of them into the backs of the units.

Here's the left hand unit firmly fixed in situ - screw fixed and tightly wedged.

And both fully installed. I've also fitted a small downstand to below the deep shelves to give them more of a substantial appearance. I did advise this at the beginning, but client said no, then later agreed.

Right hand.

And here's the whole wall.... I ripped down some old ogee skirting to fit along the fronts and butting into the fire surround plinths. The scribe-trims around the units are 12x50 PAR (8x44 finished size) over the heads and 6mm MDF down the sides. The vertical trims are flush with the inner faces of the cheeks which are glued & pinned. I cut the fire surround over the existing hearth and fitted a new mantle over the existing mantle. The hearth has also had some 6mm MDF glued onto the front/side faces of the raw concrete.

The whole wall, furniture and fire surround will be painted white. Once the client has done this, I'll post up the finished photos.

A very straight forward job and in my opinion, much better than fitting shelves to the alcoves.

Cheers.
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Norty Raskel » 29 Nov 2016, 19:46

Looking good Paul, without knowing what the customers intend to put in the bottom part I still can't help think it would look better with doors on.

A couple of question based on this project and the previous wall unit.

1) I see you don't use a separate plinth to sit the units on, so how do you go about levelling the units?
2) What's your scribing method for the face frame/trim, do you scribe the trim to the wall first and then trim flush with the unit? My last alcove unit I fit the face frame to the upper shelving then tried to scribe it in situ, it worked eventually but more by luck than judgement and I wouldn't want to try and repeat the technique.
3)More related to the previous wall units, what paint do you prefer to use for handpainting MDF units?

Thanks for the thread much appreciated.

Jon

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby Pinch » 29 Nov 2016, 20:16

Cheers Jon.

1. You can either trim the underside to suit for level & plumb or use homemade shims or those plastic packers are very good.
2. If your face edge is already finished, then you must scribe allowing for the face edge. Explained; if your trim needs to be a 60mm finished width at the top, mark this onto your work piece at the top from face edge in, then temporary secure the trim close to the wall you're scribing to and obviously at plumb (many ways in doing this). Set your compass from the wall to your pencil mark. Once happy, run the compass down the wall so you're marking up the trim at the same time, ensuring the compass is perpendicular to the wall at all times - or as close as poss. That's about it. Slightly different when scribing around coving, skirtings etc, but fundamentally the same principle.
3. I normally apply two water based undercoats and then a good silk emulsion for the top coat.

:text-bravo:

PS: Sorry Jon, I almost forgot - the clients are using the plinth shelves for baskets - some with logs but I don't remember what they are putting in the other baskets.

If it was mine, I would have doors fitted.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Nov 2016, 21:16

:text-goodpost:

Nice work, Paul.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby meccarroll » 30 Nov 2016, 09:15

It is a lot neater then cleats on the walls, nice and tidy Mr Pinch. Shame about the doors (that would slightly niggle me) but then once you have made and fit that's normally all you see of them unless you are asked to do more work.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 30 Nov 2016, 09:33

Malc2098 wrote::text-goodpost:

Nice work, Paul.

Cheers Malc 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Nov 2016, 09:34

meccarroll wrote:It is a lot neater then cleats on the walls, nice and tidy Mr Pinch. Shame about the doors (that would slightly niggle me) but then once you have made and fit that's normally all you see of them unless you are asked to do more work.

Mark

Cheers Mark 8-) Yep, I agree with you and I have been invited back for some other light work. I'm looking forward to seeing this wall fully painted and dressed with their stuff. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 30 Nov 2016, 12:43

I would also prefer doors, but if the customer is gonna put baskets in there as well as fire wood I can understand why they left the doors off...

And excellent work as always Paul, I would probably have gone for cleats, but now that I have seen these I think the look much neater than cleats, so would probably change my outlook!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Nov 2016, 13:09

Looks good Pinch

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 30 Nov 2016, 15:48

Nice

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Nov 2016, 16:14

Open shelves = dust. Doors wherever possible for me. Cracking job as always Paul and much better than just plain shelves.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 02 Dec 2016, 17:20

Commander wrote:I would also prefer doors, but if the customer is gonna put baskets in there as well as fire wood I can understand why they left the doors off...

And excellent work as always Paul, I would probably have gone for cleats, but now that I have seen these I think the look much neater than cleats, so would probably change my outlook!

Cheers Erich, that's cool 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Dec 2016, 17:22

TrimTheKing wrote:Looks good Pinch

Cheers
Mark

Cheers Mark 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Dec 2016, 17:23

Rod wrote:Nice

Rod

Cheers Rod 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Dec 2016, 17:23

Andyp wrote:Open shelves = dust. Doors wherever possible for me. Cracking job as always Paul and much better than just plain shelves.

Cheers Andy, yes, indeed. Glad I'm not their cleaner. :D 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 05 Jan 2017, 17:50

Hello Peeps,

I've just finished a small job for these chaps and they've since painted the alcove units I recently made and fitted, so I took a cheeky pic.

I think the whole wall looks rather dandy.

Cheers.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jan 2017, 18:08

Dandy!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia