It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:26

L shaped workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

L shaped workshop

Postby woodchip » 05 Dec 2016, 23:49

Hi All,

This is my first post.

Appreciate that you have all heard this one before but........ where can I find shed plans please??? I have purchased a couple of virtually useless American self build timber building books but cannot find any good Britidh books or plans ,especially for L shaped sheds.

I've cleared my garden for a new year start but am struggling with trying to establish a full specification and in particular plans.

Is there anyone who could help please?? It would be much appreciated.

Regards
Wood chip
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Re: L shaped workshop

Postby Andyp » 06 Dec 2016, 09:17

HI woodchip and welcome to the forum. Not sure where to send you for plans. What we do have here is a great deal of knowledge on how to build as you have no doubt seen from the excellent threads in the projects and WIP section.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 06 Dec 2016, 09:21

You won't find shed plans anywhere, but I've produced a few drawings of various parts of sheds over the years. As an architect, I prefer to start from scratch with each building.........so let's see your plot, and tell us what you have in mind. I'm sure we can quickly come up with something that suits.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodchip » 06 Dec 2016, 10:51

Mike G wrote:You won't find shed plans anywhere, but I've produced a few drawings of various parts of sheds over the years. As an architect, I prefer to start from scratch with each building.........so let's see your plot, and tell us what you have in mind. I'm sure we can quickly come up with something that suits.

Hi Mike,

Just getting my head around the website at the moment so please bear with me. With regards to my plans ..... well I have only just got to the stage of deciding a footprint due to having to clear an area in my garden.
I have a number of ideas but need as much technical information upfront as possible, such as floor bearer sizes, spacing etc in order that I could pull together something that looks workable. I like to have a plan on paper before I tackle anything but being my first construction I need a bit of direction.

Appreciate anything that you or anyone can provide please. Many thanks to you and Andy for replying.
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Dec 2016, 12:30

Hi Woodchip and welcome.

Give us a ballpark idea of the dimensions of the space you have to work in and as Mike says, we can go from there.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Dec 2016, 14:00

Hi Woodchip, and welcome.

I went through that process and then came across this forum. I ended up gleaning loads of knowledge from these guys and then took the step of downloading Trimble Sketchup (free) to model my 'shop. (it's a 3D modelling program, not a CAD, but I managed to convert some of the drawings to 2D for the planning permission.)

Anyway, reading these's guys posts can give you the confidence, like it has done for me, to develop your own plans. I've even got cocky and developed a BoQ on a Libre Office Spreadsheet, so at the end of the project I will be able to break down all the costs, which might be a help for future DIY 'shop builders.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 Dec 2016, 14:13

I also built my 'shop with a lot of help from the guys on here. Without the help and encouragement it would either still not be built or would have already fallen down by now.

A few basics would help get the ball rolling. Is this for woodworking or another purpose? What sort of things will you have in it, e.g. will you have any big and heavy machinery? Do you want to avoid getting planning consent and / or building regs approval? Minimum size? Site constraints?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 06 Dec 2016, 17:00

woodchip wrote:.......I have only just got to the stage of deciding a footprint due to having to clear an area in my garden.
I have a number of ideas but need as much technical information upfront as possible, such as floor bearer sizes, spacing etc in order that I could pull together something that looks workable.......

My very first suggestion would be to do your initial thinking based on a maximum span of 4.8 metres. This helps quite a lot with timber sizes. Are you dead set on a timber floor? A concrete slab with low brick plinth is actually slightly easier if you have reasonable access for deliveries, and gives a vermin-proof worry-free base. Timber floors involve a little more thought, and need to be done particularly well to work without issues, such as head height, a step at the entrance, sub-floor drainage and ventilation, and so on.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodchip » 06 Dec 2016, 19:54

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies which is rekindling my confidence in being able to build this workshop. Have been a bit frustrated with the lack of available plans etc which has made me question whether I need to reluctantly simplify my design.
Basically I want to build a workshop 4.5m long x 3.0m wide with store/sun lounge 2.0m long x 2.4m wide tagged onto the side to form the 'L' shape. I would like to fit a decking in the corner to overcome a step etc. It will have a pitched roof (roof layout will be difficult but possible?). Intend to build a wooden floor on piers due to limited access to transport heavy materials and since it's about 50m away from roadside.
Workshop to be used for light-weight woodwork but will have some fairly heavy storage cabinets etc. Anticipate max height of 2.5m positioned within 1m of boundary.

How's this all sound??
Cheers
Woodchip
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 06 Dec 2016, 20:35

Welcome woodchip. You will find all the answers you need here. I found the hardest bit finalising in my mind what I wanted, once you have a basic idea of what you want the gents here will put you straight. You sound as if you have the right idea - time spent now in the initial phases is rarely wasted. :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby woodchip » 06 Dec 2016, 22:24

Hi Dan,

Thanks for reply.

Got to get a plan in my head and down on paper before I can crack-on. Hoping that if I can establish a design over the winter in order that I can get cracking in spring.

Notice that people like to know members location which is in Ipswich.
Cheers for now.
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Tusses » 06 Dec 2016, 23:16

woodchip wrote:Hi All,
Anticipate max height of 2.5m positioned within 1m of boundary.

Woodchip

I don't know for sure, but this caught my eye ..

1m of boundary might be a problem, depending on where you are, and if you have neighbors ?

How big is your plot ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Dec 2016, 00:21

Hi Dan,

I'm 1.1m from two boundaries to avoid building regs.

Your shape, something like this?

Not my final design, but L shaped, and modelled in Sketchup. The tail of the L will cover a deck and be supported on posts.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 07 Dec 2016, 08:29

woodchip wrote:........How's this all sound?......

Easy. ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Deejay » 07 Dec 2016, 10:25

Morning Woodchip and welcome to the forum.

if you need help with building reg's, have a look in the Dropbox file under permitted development guides.

Click on the link in the top right of the screen and open the 'Permitted Development Guides' folder.

The folder below that, 'Useful Links' , holds a pdf file containing links (surprise :)) to various websites which you may find useful.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by Deejay on 08 Dec 2016, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby woodchip » 07 Dec 2016, 19:32

Hi All,

With regards to the boundary position I'm having to position the workshop as close as possible to my left hand boundary in order to fit within the available area .. hence 1 metre.

The workshop will be at least 4m from the top of the site (due to a large conifer hedge), 6m away from the r/h boundary and at least 18m away from the house.

As for the roof Malc this looks good but I'm intending to have both roof levels at the same height. Have tried to download Trimble sketchbook but currently having difficulties.

Any information would be appreciated. Now trying to detail the floor construction working upwards.

This site is additive!!!!

Cheers
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Dec 2016, 20:34

Hi Dan,

If you can get just that extra 100mm, 1.1m, from that boundary, you might not need building regs.

If you can get SU downloaded and working, you should find it relatively easy to model the whole 'shop including the roof, and if your ridges are the same height, I think you'll find that easier than mine because the angles won't be so complicated.

My roof design is rafters all along the main roof, then sheathed with OSB and the Tee Intersection is laid on top of the sheathing, just like some house extensions are done. Just to be sure, I will put in a couple of extra rafters in the main roof to support the Tee valley board.

If you can get the hang of SU, then you'll be amazed at what you can model and the problems you find, and solve, by doing that.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 07 Dec 2016, 21:25

woodchip wrote:.......As for the roof Malc this looks good but I'm intending to have both roof levels at the same height......

Careful with this. For a start, it looks odd. Secondly, it causes complications with the roofing material and details, particularly with the ridge. I would suggest having the outshot part of the building just a little narrower than the main part, which will bring the ridge down below that of the main roof. What are you proposing for your roofing material?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodchip » 08 Dec 2016, 00:16

Hi Malc,
Yes, can achieve 1.1m no problem. What I should have mentioned is that I have actually allowed for 1.150 from the boundary to the extremity of the shed and which I hoped would incorporate the width of the guttering. Will try and download Trimble again asap and let you know how I get on.

Hi Mike,
Are you saying that the garden room area (the Outshot area as you have called it) needs to be of a width of say 2.9m which would be just under the workshop width of 3.0m? This will reduce my decking area from 2.5m to 1.6m width. The decking area is intended to be a flexible outdoor working area.

How do I attach a drawing please ... maybe this will help with my explanation.

With regards to the roofing material I have not had much chance to think about this since I'm still trying to get my head around the base, flooring etc. This is why I have been trying to obtain workshop/shed drawings which will enable me to pull together a spec quicker.
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Dec 2016, 08:33

I wouldn't say it must be, or needs to be, just that I think it should be narrower if it can be. This is both for aesthetics and for practicality.

It's really important to know what you are planning to put on the roof. Tiles? Slate? Felt? Onduline? Crinkly tin? EPDM? Making the ridge work is the major problem with having ridges meet at the same height.

As for posting images......

Resize your pictures to approx 1000 pixels width, then load them into an online image host such as Imgur, Photobucket, or whatever. (Imgur can automatically resize your photos as you upload them). Then all you have to do is copy the URL of the photo from there into your post.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Dec 2016, 09:09

Woodchip.

There's a Photobucket tutorial sticky at the top of one (or maybe all) of the forum pages. Hunt that out and it explains all. Using Photobucket there is no need to resize photos so much easier.

Just shout up if you can't find it and someone will point you in the right direction.

Thanks
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 08 Dec 2016, 18:38

Or if you have a smart phone get the Tapatalk App and you can upload direct from your phones photo library.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Dec 2016, 19:17

I will move this thread to the Projects and WIP section pending Mark setting up a dedicated Workshop Build Board ;)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodchip » 08 Dec 2016, 23:12

Hi Mike,

I would like to use plastic roof tiles on the roof if possible.

Sorry all but I'm finding the recommendations , instructions and suggestions for downloading photos etc all a bit heavy at the moment. I'm pretty good on the old PC etc but I'm the old school really where I like to do the majority on paper where I can get a better feel for scale etc.

Even though I'm pretty handy this my first shed and major wood construction and I'm struggling in pulling a spec together due to my lack of experience and knowledge. I want to do this but really need some basic information, how to tackle such a project initially.

Many thanks for your support.
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2016, 23:33

Dan,

There's nothing I can say to take that anxiety right away now, but just under a year ago, I was in the same position as you.

All I can say, from my limited experience, is to take you time.

I've not got an easy access site, so I had to think what trades I would pay for and what I could do myself. E.g. even though I've only laid a few brick 40 something years ago, with the support of these guys and some Utubing, I've had a go at the brick and block laying and it's turned out OK. But I can't drive a digger nor get one in my site easily, so I paid for that.

The Building Control Officer at your local council is also a wealth of information and support, and even if you don't go down the B Regs route, they are worth their weight in talking things through with you to get you to that position. If you make an appointment to see one and go armed with drawings, even hand drawn, and rough sizes, and a list of questions written down, they will see that you are trying to do things properly and will give their best advice, which, like in my case, could even be that you don't need BRs.

I tried using open source CAD programs, but didn't get on with them, and so, after a false start, managed to get my head round modelling in Sketchup. That was a huge step and helped me calculate how much concrete for the footings, how many bricks and blocks were needed for the plinth. That helped me draw up a Bill of Quantities and start planning the budget. It will next allow me to calculate the amount of timber and sheathing I'll need for the floor, walls and roof.

There are online mortar calculators so you can work out how many bags of sand and cement you need for the brick and block laying. And so it goes on. All this taking the time over preparation and design has helped me immensely, and of course, the support and advice from these guys is amazing.

The motto of my old Traffic Police department was Festina Lente, which translates as Hasten Slowly.

It's working for me.

PS, I may have got your name wrong, and if so I apologise. But at my age, I get confused with anybody's names these days.

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Next

Return to Workshop Builds