It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:52

L shaped workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: L shaped workshop

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2016, 23:41

And of course, I apologise to he whose name I used, too!!! :oops:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dan0741 » 08 Dec 2016, 23:46

Woodchip - Nothing to sweat about. If i' can do it its virtually possible by a monkey! Take your time. Work out the bits you can and make lists of things you dont understand or need help with.

The approach I took,never having done this before was to read lots, learn lots and ask questions. We have had here on this forum the full spectrum from those that are very adept and don't need guidance too those at the other end like me. They key i think is to have your own mind, but ask for guidance when required. We all feel the pain and so are happy to offer thoughts and ideas when required. There is usually someone who has been through the bit you are worried about. Start with the bits you cant change, ie plot, costs and such and go from there. You will soon be putting the finishing touches to a masterpiece! Keep smiling. :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby woodchip » 09 Dec 2016, 14:35

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks again for your reply.

All information is gratefully received. I'm trying to absorb everything at the moment!!!

I'm still trawling (frustratingly) for the basic design information and until then I can see that this will take time .... even though I am itching to get the works underway, however small, in Spring. Its taken me about 18 months, on and off, to clear the area in which I intend to build and its now ready.

Having had a look at Trimble Sketchup what version have you got please since it appears that there are a number of them available.

Terry (alias Woodhcip) ... please don't worry about calling me something else .... I'm use to it!
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Dec 2016, 15:44

Hi Terry, (Got it right this time!!)

I'm on V 16. And they're telling me already V17 is ready. They seem to bring one out each year, and it's not an update, in that it does not update your existing version. It creates a new version. DaveR on this site is the SU guru!

Basic design - good start. Think about construction methods and materials and what you can get for cheap or free, (materials and work) and choose a design that incorporates the best compromise.

In my case, Level the plot and dig the trenches - I got people in.

I chose a brick and block plinth and am laying them myself.

I chose a suspended timber floor.

I chose timber frame walls. There's loads of help on this forum for this.

I chose a timber framed roof, sheathed inside and outside with OSB, and I will be covering the outside with metal sheeting that looks like clay tiles - expensive, but is easy to install.

Having got them decided, I was then able to model each element in SU. (I've still got the walls to do, because I'm waiting for 2nd hand windows to become available from a window replacement guy and I don't know the size yet).

Having got the elements modelled, I was then able to start working out a budget.

I suppose it's breaking it down into lumps, then breaking each of those down into smaller lumps and so on.

I'm fortunate in that I am recently retired and so I don't have the pressure to get stuff done on a weekend and other time off. So, if you're working, you should programme working opportunities into the project.

How does that sound as a process?

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 09 Dec 2016, 18:37

I know they exist somewhere, but I know not where, so could someone please link Terry to any of my "Build a Shed Mike's Way" sections, please. They're you're basic starting point, Terry, and then we can vary from there. Plans don't actually tell you anything much other than where walls are......Sections are what tell you how to build things.
Last edited by Mike G on 09 Dec 2016, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Dec 2016, 19:43

Mike, I'll grab a copy from somewhere ;) and reproduce it here, with your permission of course.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 09 Dec 2016, 21:12

Thanks Andy, appreciated.

Terry, that new thread is your starting point. It contains the principles. There are an infinite number of variations possible, but that's a pretty decent starting point. You should also read through my Workshop Build thread, here:

http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=198

It's quite long, I'm afraid, but it should help.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Dec 2016, 21:13

Terry,

Mike's thread helped me immensely and I've blagged loads from it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Deejay » 09 Dec 2016, 21:22

Evening all

could someone please link Terry to any of my "Build a Shed Mike's Way" sections, please.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/buil ... 39389.html

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 09 Dec 2016, 21:29

It's been brought over here now Dave, and made a sticky.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodchip » 09 Dec 2016, 23:10

Hi All,

Once again my thanks to all your replies and for your patience with my enquiries and frustrations.

I've quickly realised how ignorant I have been regarding this build. I've had a neighbour who has just completed a workshop which looks good outside but a bit concerning inside. Obviously a quick build ..... and yes Malcolm 'hasten slowly' didn't apply here!. Detail and preparation is certainly critical ...... before I start. Your process Malcolm of attacking your project sounds logical to me especially now that I have found your posts regarding your own workshop development. Its all looking very good.

Thanks Deejay for your link and once again Mike thanks for your thread. I have had a good read of part of it and its exactly what I need ... brilliant. Your post is now swaying me over to a concrete floor in order to maintain the 2.5m max height and the fact that it is easier to lay than a wooden floor. I still have the issue with the logistics in laying it but do own a cement mixer. Thinking that the floor area could be shuttered off in small sections / areas in order that I can lay the concrete at different times..........and in order not to kill myself in the process.

Since I intend to only use the workshop for lightweight equipment etc, and the other part of it being a sun lounge, bike store what would you recommend for the floor spec please Mike?

Malcolm, with regards to Trimble Sketchup I'm still having problems downloading it for free. My PC keeps directing me into random sites which are trying to download multiple links like Amazon etc. Not sure if you have a specific link that works please.

Thanks once again for all for your responses. All this information is now making sense and is giving me the ideas which I have been craving for.

Cheers
Terry

MtHE ONE THING If there is anything that I HAVE

Ma
he already he has bee nhaving problems probably due to his lack of care AHVE BEEN think that I have been pretty Magreen
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Dec 2016, 23:16

Terry,

I got from their own site.

http://www.sketchup.com/download?sketchup=make

HTH

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Deejay » 10 Dec 2016, 09:40

Mike G wrote:It's been brought over here now Dave, and made a sticky.

Thanks Mike, I'll amend the links file.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby woodchip » 20 Dec 2016, 23:32

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone once again for their replies.This is a great source if information especially from such knowledgeable people.

I haven't disappeared but continue to read as many posts regarding as many projects as I can in order to formulate my own design. Currently I have moved from an L shaped workshop to a straight design 4.8m long x 3m wide up to a max height of 4m. Location will be over 2m from three surrounding boundaries but considering confirmation from the local planning officer in order to obtain a LDC.

Seriously considering a concrete base but a bit concerned with preparation and amount of work required. May consider DIY using my own mixer and splitting base into small, workable sections that I can complete in stages (as and when I have the energy!!).

Will be posting again soon but not sure if it's best to start a new post.

Cheers for now

Terry
woodchip
Seedling

Name:

Postby Tusses » 21 Dec 2016, 16:53

I did a 6x5m concrete base in just over half a day, with a mixer and a barrow !

Down a small drive, so small tipper truck for the ballast delivery ..
that helped, as he had to make several trips ..
and I just about kept up mixing and barrowing, so I was ready for the next load

Anything concrete is best laid all in one, before it sets

hard work , but do-able.

if money is no object, then ready mixed, and a little dumper could work in a tight space, and get it done quickly
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds