It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:44

Very old helical (cough cough) stair - FINISHED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Very old helical (cough cough) stair - FINISHED

Postby Pinch » 11 Dec 2016, 16:51

Hello Peeps.

I'm due to start this project mid January and thought I'd start a thread now. The original enquiry lead was back in September. These guys contacted me after following my van/bus one day.

There aren't many old stairs like this around these days and I did replace one almost identical to this one about 5 years ago. The building is Georgian and the stair is most probably original. They don't comply to current Building Regulations and as I'm replacing like-for-like, the new stair won't either. It's technically a spiral stair because each tread is tapered and the whole stairs' line of travel is 180 degrees. This won't be a workshop job and then on site installation, I shall make & fit each tread/riser individually on site. Part of the underside which will be visible in the living room will include an open shelving unit for CDs, DVDs and paperback books.

I also have the ground floor stair to make as well, but this will be a while after the 1st-2nd floor stair is finished.

Here are some photos I took when I originally attended the enquiry lead.

1st-2nd floor spiral stair - viewed from the living room.

Viewed from the landing.

Moving up to the 2nd floor landing.

Prepared drawings.

Report back soon.

Cheers,

:text-bravo:
Last edited by Pinch on 18 Jan 2017, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Very old spiral stair: 1st-2nd floor.

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Dec 2016, 18:04

That'll be a nice job, Paul. Bit cramped doing all the measuring and cutting on site.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 11 Dec 2016, 19:21

Interest task- what materials are you proposing to use and why is the original wood covered in yellow grunge?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Dec 2016, 21:48

Pinch wrote:.... It's technically a spiral stair.......

[pedant mode] Technically there is no such thing as a spiral stair. They should be called a helical stair. [/pedant mode] ;)

I initially though you were over-cladding, but you're ripping out and replacing. I'll bet you don't swear one single time in the whole job... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 11 Dec 2016, 22:58

Mike G wrote:
I initially though you were over-cladding, but you're ripping out and replacing. I'll bet you don't swear one single time in the whole job... :lol:

Not more than once...every 10 seconds. :)

Kirk
who is looking forward to seeing whether this is done from the top down or bottom up...
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Tusses » 11 Dec 2016, 23:18

Mike G wrote:

[pedant mode] Technically there is no such thing as a spiral stair. They should be called a helical stair. [/pedant mode] ;)

lol .. my 1st thought was with the square rise , I'd call it a Kite Wind Staircase
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 Dec 2016, 23:26

Malc2098 wrote:That'll be a nice job, Paul. Bit cramped doing all the measuring and cutting on site.

Cheers Malc, yes indeed. The ground floor dining room will be the on site shop and I shall also work out of the living room (next to the stair) for fine tune adjusting. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Dec 2016, 23:30

Rod wrote:Interest task- what materials are you proposing to use and why is the original wood covered in yellow grunge?

Rod

Cheers Rod, yes, a laid back approach is required with this job. I'm making it out of softwood, probably whitewood pine family. The yellow stuff is old glue - looks like a contact adhesive. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Dec 2016, 23:33

Mike G wrote:

:lol: Yes, okay smarty pants. I suppose 'technically' the line of travel is in the form of helix.

Yep, ripping out and replacing. I bet I do swear a little bit and very quietly :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Dec 2016, 23:35

kirkpoore1 wrote:
Mike G wrote:

Not more than once...every 10 seconds. :)

Kirk
who is looking forward to seeing whether this is done from the top down or bottom up...

I'll set up a tape recording :lol:

I'll be working from bottom up. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Dec 2016, 23:37

Tusses wrote:
Mike G wrote:

lol .. my 1st thought was with the square rise , I'd call it a Kite Wind Staircase

My first thought was... "I've had enough of this darn blinkin woodworking lark!" :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby meccarroll » 12 Dec 2016, 00:47

A bit of advice for you Mr Pinch:..............................Just take it one step at a time :lol:

Sorry Mr Pinch.........I just couldn't help myself :eusa-pray:

Off to the naughty corner..... :arrow: :(

SPOOK Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 12 Dec 2016, 06:28

meccarroll wrote:A bit of advice for you Mr Pinch:..............................Just take it one step at a time :lol:

Mark

:lol: :lol:

Looks like an interresting job Paul.

I know a helix as part of a model train layout which takes the train round and round from one level to the next.

That staircase reminds me of some of the B&B's we looked while travelling round South UK. You have to lug your luggage up and down ......... :o
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 08:22

now, you see , Helix just reminds me of the double helix .. but I guess that's just in my DNA

:D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Dec 2016, 10:27

Tusses wrote:now, you see , Helix just reminds me of the double helix .. but I guess that's just in my DNA

Very droll! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Commander » 12 Dec 2016, 11:12

Sheesh Paul that looks like one hell of a job, I can also see why those stair don't comply with current building regs, they appear to be down right dangerous... Is there some other form of access to the upstairs area? How does one go about moving furniture up or down such a staircase? :o :shock:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby chataigner » 12 Dec 2016, 12:16

Look forward to progress pics etc, this should be very interesting.

As for moving furniture up and down such staircases, in small houses here you simply dont, everything goes in and out through the upstairs windows and removers have appropriate lifts to raise the furniture.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:01

meccarroll wrote:A bit of advice for you Mr Pinch:..............................Just take it one step at a time :lol:

Sorry Mr Pinch.........I just couldn't help myself :eusa-pray:

Off to the naughty corner..... :arrow: :(

SPOOK Mark

Cheers Mark ---- I hope you're still in the naughty corner! That's all I can say on the matter. :shock:

I'm not going to rise to the occasion on this one, I'll take a step down. :|

Or will I.....

SPOOK !

:lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby kirkpoore1 » 13 Dec 2016, 01:03

At least they turn the right direction. The upstairs guy can swing his sword, while the downstairs guy will just hit the post.:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:15

Phil wrote:

Mark

:lol: :lol:

Looks like an interresting job Paul.

I know a helix as part of a model train layout which takes the train round and round from one level to the next.

That staircase reminds me of some of the B&B's we looked while travelling round South UK. You have to lug your luggage up and down ......... :o

Cheers Phil. The train model layout as you describe is like a vertical thread I guess. I first learnt about the helix back in the school days (technical drawing - geometry) and we had to learn how to draw several complete turns of the helix by drawing a thread for example. I don't remember much of it, but Mike is correct in what he says.

Indeed, there are loads of little cottage B&Bs in England - some very quaint and lovely, although I would rather a hotel with a decent restaurant and bar. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:16

Tusses wrote:now, you see , Helix just reminds me of the double helix .. but I guess that's just in my DNA

Ha ha ha very good. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:17

Malc2098 wrote:

Very droll! :D

Nah, he just forgot to take his meds :| :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:22

Commander wrote:Sheesh Paul that looks like one hell of a job, I can also see why those stair don't comply with current building regs, they appear to be down right dangerous... Is there some other form of access to the upstairs area? How does one go about moving furniture up or down such a staircase? :o :shock:

Cheers Erich. Nope, that's it Sir! The headroom isn't too bad, so some furniture will be okay, but a TC bookcase will be a definite no no. :|

I wouldn't like to try climbing up them to go to bed after a few Bertie Bassets. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:25

chataigner wrote:Look forward to progress pics etc, this should be very interesting.

As for moving furniture up and down such staircases, in small houses here you simply dont, everything goes in and out through the upstairs windows and removers have appropriate lifts to raise the furniture.

Cheers David 8-)

Yes, you're right there! I've removed a few windows in my time :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Dec 2016, 01:26

kirkpoore1 wrote:At least they turn the right direction. The upstairs guy can swing his sword, while the downstairs guy will just hit the post.:)

Kirk

Boom-boom!

Very good Kirk - I likey! 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Next

Return to Projects & WIP