It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:08

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Screed)

Postby Commander » 06 Dec 2016, 04:58

Mike G wrote:
Commander wrote:
Mike G wrote:It comes in by the wheelbarrow full Phil, and no, there was almost nothing in the way.

I think Phil was referring to the UFH piping, I suspect you had to put down boards for the wheelbarrow to run on, or are we missing something Mike?

Oh, I see. No, the stuff is tough as old boots. You just run straight over the top of it with the barrow.

That's amazing! I would not have guessed that, thanks for clearing up Mike!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Phil » 06 Dec 2016, 07:13

Mike G wrote:
Commander wrote:
Mike G wrote:It comes in by the wheelbarrow full Phil, and no, there was almost nothing in the way.

I think Phil was referring to the UFH piping, I suspect you had to put down boards for the wheelbarrow to run on, or are we missing something Mike?

Oh, I see. No, the stuff is tough as old boots. You just run straight over the top of it with the barrow.

Thanks
(I need to add more words to the question, I need to add more words to the question ........) :oops:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 10 Dec 2016, 11:09

Mike, did the screed go directly down onto the pipe? Is there no concern about expansion/contraction of the pipe during use and/or chemical reaction wit the screed ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 10 Dec 2016, 11:24

AFAIK it is plastic coated so quite inert to cement attack which in any case needs moisture.

30 plus years ago when I did not understand the copper/cement issue, I set a copper gas pipe in the concrete kitchen floor. :shock:
I'm very aware now and check for gas smells regularly but so far no signs of a problem!
A recent visit from a competent gas fitter did not comment about a gas pipe rising out of the floor when he connected up a new boiler.
We also have water pipes buried in the same floor but they are in foam insulation and should be fine :eusa-think:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 10 Dec 2016, 13:04

9fingers wrote:AFAIK it is plastic coated so quite inert to cement attack which in any case needs moisture.

30 plus years ago when I did not understand the copper/cement issue, I set a copper gas pipe in the concrete kitchen floor. :shock:
I'm very aware now and check for gas smells regularly but so far no signs of a problem!
A recent visit from a competent gas fitter did not comment about a gas pipe rising out of the floor when he connected up a new boiler.
We also have water pipes buried in the same floor but they are in foam insulation and should be fine :eusa-think:

Bob

Yep, it's plastic-aluminium-plastic.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (chimney, dining)

Postby Mike G » 15 Dec 2016, 20:50

I finished all the screed, inside and out. I also built a little brick wall at the end of the dining room:

Here is the porch base, screeded, and with plinth bricks done:

With chricstmas rapidly approaching, and 11 going to be sitting around the dining table in the dining room (see first picture), I thought I might play around a little on the roof. Here is the chimney as it has been for a year or more:

I spent many a long hour cutting bricks, and gluing them together again:

Time to start building the chimney:

The basic slips are 25mm thick, with the two corbelled courses being 50mm thick. They are stuck together at the corners and stuck to the timber box with 2 part epoxy, and then pointed in the normal way. Except pointing like this is terribly long winded and tedious, with the pointing and the flaunching of the pots taking all day. The reason I am doing this work, rather than sorting the interior out ready for christmas, is that the little bit of exposed roof is leaking a little, right over the junction between the new and old part of the house. No point finishing the inside if it were to get wet every time it rained! Before I can finish the roof the chimney needs doing....hence the derail.

I'll take a better photo than this tomorrow, after I've done the tiles and lead work. I probably won't be doing the ridge until after christmas:

I've also made some progress inside. Here is some of the work in the dining room to the old back wall of the house. It is no small task lining all these openings with battens (having done the wiring first). As an aside, I have wired this room not just for its current use as a dining room, but for its potential future use as a downstairs bedroom once decrepitude dictates:

Finally, here is what a couple of tons of oak looks like:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 15 Dec 2016, 21:14

hmmm ... Wooden chimney ! .. interesting idea ! :lol:

at least the weather has been mild for the time of year ..
Keep up the good work Mike :)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 16 Dec 2016, 09:39

Did you seal the pots?

Nice brick work. :eusa-clap:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Halo Jones » 16 Dec 2016, 12:52

Good progress as always. I wish our renovations were going as quickly....

I was wondering about your porch as it is something I have to tackle probably this time next year. Did you get planning permission for the porch along with the whole house but it just happens to fall out with what BC are concerned with? I only ask because in Scotland you can only go up to 3 sqm and max height of 3m for porches before planning get involved. We are also going to be close to our boundary and not sure if BC will only be concerned with fire rating of materials or will also want fully assessed foundations etc.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Dec 2016, 17:33

Phil wrote:Did you seal the pots?.....

Yep, I glued some slate onto the top:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Dec 2016, 17:38

Halo Jones wrote:I was wondering about your porch as it is something I have to tackle probably this time next year. Did you get planning permission for the porch along with the whole house but it just happens to fall out with what BC are concerned with? I only ask because in Scotland you can only go up to 3 sqm and max height of 3m for porches before planning get involved. We are also going to be close to our boundary and not sure if BC will only be concerned with fire rating of materials or will also want fully assessed foundations etc.

It's important to keep Planning and Building Control separate. I got Planning Permission for the porch along with everything else to do with the house. Whether of not Building Control get interested doesn't depend on the Planners, or your permissions, but on the size, and whether or not it is thermally separated from the rest of the house. That is, if there were wasn't an insulated inner door (between porch and hall), then the porch would be considered to be part of the building's thermal envelope, and would fall under the remit of the Regs. Similarly if it were larger (I'm not sure what the limit is off the top of my head). So mine got Planning, but doesn't need to meet Building Regs. The Building Inspector didn't even glance at the foundations, for instance.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Dec 2016, 18:34

Mike G wrote:

Eh? This may well be a :text-blondmoment: on my part but how does the smoke get out?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 16 Dec 2016, 18:35

Andyp wrote:
Mike G wrote:

Eh? This may well be a :text-blondmoment: on my part but how does the smoke get out?

It's a fake chimney. Well real in the sense it exists, but not for its intended purpose. Hence the OSB lining

:)
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Dec 2016, 19:24

That I can understand.
So there must be another chimney somewhere to take the smoke from the very real fireplace I can remember seeing being built some months back?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Dec 2016, 20:26

Andy,
Without going back through the thread to check, I think the fireplace is in the new part of the house (rear) and the faux pot(s) are on the front, original part of the house.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 16 Dec 2016, 21:15

The new fireplace (in the new part of the house) only goes up as far as the ceiling on the ground floor. Above that there will eventually be just a flue out through the roof. Bob is right that this chimney takes the place of the real one I demolished. Indeed, it is quite a close copy of it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Dec 2016, 11:50

I see. Perfect sense. I did try going back through the thread but at 89 pages it is getting hard to find stuff. :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Halo Jones » 19 Dec 2016, 11:44

It's important to keep Planning and Building Control separate. I got Planning Permission for the porch along with everything else to do with the house. Whether of not Building Control get interested doesn't depend on the Planners, or your permissions, but on the size, and whether or not it is thermally separated from the rest of the house. That is, if there were wasn't an insulated inner door (between porch and hall), then the porch would be considered to be part of the building's thermal envelope, and would fall under the remit of the Regs. Similarly if it were larger (I'm not sure what the limit is off the top of my head). So mine got Planning, but doesn't need to meet Building Regs. The Building Inspector didn't even glance at the foundations, for instance.

Thanks for clearing that up - especially the "thermally separated" part. The Big Boss might not like that part as she was wanting to get rid of the front door!

btw. I can sympathise with Christmas and dining rooms. There will be 12 of us for Christmas dinner and our dining room currently looks like:

Which is better than it looked last week! :lol:
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Dec 2016, 20:43

At least yours has got 4 walls! Mine's one short of the requisite number at the moment.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 19 Dec 2016, 23:52

Its not short of a wall. It is just "open plan"!

Our room is now functional after a big tidy up (if not pretty). As long as we don't have a cold snap I'm not too worried as only half the radiators are functional at the moment. Then bodies and festive spirit will hopefully do their job :obscene-drinkingcheers: :text-merryxmas:
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby MattS » 20 Dec 2016, 09:02

Slight aside but when they built about 25 houses behind us over the last year the chimneys were faux, very similar this although I seem to remember Kingspan inside. Anyway they were made of site and craned onto the buildings. Was very funny seeing them come in on a lorry. Well the children and I thought it was funny!

Still thoroughly enjoying reading this - what's the new pile of oak destined to be?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby the bear » 20 Dec 2016, 11:12

Mike
How did you apply sideways pressure to the brick slips while the epoxy cured on the chimney?
Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Dec 2016, 23:57

MattS wrote:Slight aside but when they built about 25 houses behind us over the last year the chimneys were faux, very similar this although I seem to remember Kingspan inside. Anyway they were made of site and craned onto the buildings. Was very funny seeing them come in on a lorry. Well the children and I thought it was funny!

Still thoroughly enjoying reading this - what's the new pile of oak destined to be?

Those were almost certainly fibreglass faux-chimneys you saw arriving on a lorry.

The oak is for door posts and stair-opening structure internally, and for the porch externally.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Dec 2016, 23:59

the bear wrote:Mike
How did you apply sideways pressure to the brick slips while the epoxy cured on the chimney?
Mark

Every so often I screwed a thin strip of ply across the face of the bricks, screwing through the perps between the bricks. Not all of them needed it, as some seemed to get a really good hold immediately. The half-brick corbels all needed support.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 21 Dec 2016, 15:43

Mike G wrote:
MattS wrote:Slight aside but when they built about 25 houses behind us over the last year the chimneys were faux, very similar this although I seem to remember Kingspan inside. Anyway they were made of site and craned onto the buildings. Was very funny seeing them come in on a lorry. Well the children and I thought it was funny!

Those were almost certainly fibreglass faux-chimneys you saw arriving on a lorry.

The oak is for door posts and stair-opening structure internally, and for the porch externally.

ok, I made the comment about wooden chimbleys ... but It's the 1st time I've heard of faux ones !

You live, you learn !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP