It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:39

Pocket door recommendations

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Pocket door recommendations

Postby Halo Jones » 27 Dec 2016, 10:30

Hi All,

With Christmas out the way we are looking at next years big project. We are moving our ground floor bathroom. To comply with building regs disabled accessibility rules we are going to have to fit a pocket door. There are lots of brands out there but very little reviews. We are looking at either Eclisse or Portman at the moment but wondered if there were any recommendations out there?

I don't mind paying a bit extra for peace of mind as the last thing I want is the door getting stuck in the wall!

Should say that we want to use one of our own doors and a self closing mechanism is a must!

Thanks,

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Pocket door recommendations

Postby 9fingers » 27 Dec 2016, 13:33

Sorry HJ,
I've never seen a pocket door to look at in detail but certainly seen them have problems on DIY SOS but that is no criterion to choice lol.
You might find some pro's with experience on WUK perhaps?

Good Luck
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 27 Dec 2016, 13:45

Any good? http://www.eclisse.co.uk/Disability-And-Eclisse

Those building regs...are they mandatory in Scotland or your choice ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Dec 2016, 14:22

I've experienced a few bad ones in the past in flats my daughter rented but no real knowledge myself - sorry

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 27 Dec 2016, 16:43

Thanks all,

Building Control pulled it up in our application for our ground floor remodeling. New builds are required to have a ground floor bath/shower room to meet disability access regs. Existing ground floor bath/shower rooms that already meet the regulations have to be maintained. Our old shower room met all the regs so now we are moving it the new space also has to meet the regs. They main one we failed on was that there has to be a 1800 x 800 mm space behind the door (which does not include the area covered by the swing of the door). The only way we could meet this was with a pocket door.

We have also heard about and experienced many bad pocket doors hence our apprehension! Eclisse seem to be a decent make but I wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has one before we purchase.

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 27 Dec 2016, 17:41

Nothing against the dissabilatied ..
but I don't get why every house has to cater for every situation ?
Surely just mod' to your own requirements when you move in, and pay/price accordingly ??

"Ducks for cover" ???

Our lad was in a car smash .. side impact .. mushed his pelvis .. now it's a mechano kit ! ... he would'nt dream of inconveniencing the majority, to "maybe" help the minority ???

ok .. rant over ....
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 27 Dec 2016, 17:47

Been there, done that!

I now see the sense though. New builds should accomodate it and our bathroom used to accommodate it. So making our new bathroom not comply is a somewhat backward step. If our original bathroom had not complied then we would merely have had to match its overall level of compliance. I just wish I had fiddled my drawings of the existing plan a bit!

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Return to General Woodworking