It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:22

New Car suggestions

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: New Car suggestions

Postby Tusses » 28 Dec 2016, 21:47

thinking back, I had cruise control in the 1990 ford econoline day van

captains seats too !

it was like sitting in an arm chair.
With the cruise control on .. and sitting back taking in the views, it was way too easy to forget you are actually driving ! :shock:

although comfy and easy, I'm not sure it's such a good thing ???

and for such a big old boat with a 5.2L V8 .. returned a surprising 28MPG !

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Dec 2016, 22:56

I wonder if all cars were fitted with radar it would have prevented the 20car pile up on the A40 this morning?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Dec 2016, 22:58

Rod wrote:I wonder if all cars were fitted with radar it would have prevented the 20car pile up on the A40 this morning?

Rod

If the drivers were fitted with a brain then that would stop the carnage.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Dec 2016, 23:53

That's very true you should drive suitably to the prevailing conditions.
But perhaps some early warning might have helped?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 29 Dec 2016, 05:48

Rod wrote:That's very true you should drive suitably to the prevailing conditions.
But perhaps some early warning might have helped?

Rod

I don't think so, Rod, given that there was already early warning ie dense fog and icy temperatures.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Dec 2016, 09:35

RogerS wrote:Out of curiosity, where do you guys put your right foot when using CC ? I tend to put mine flat on the floor which isn't a great idea, I know but hovering it over the brake pedal seems to be a bit of a strain. Mind you, I only have CC on when I know I can drive with sensible gaps between the car in front.

On traffic free motorways my right foot is all over the place tapping to the music and generally trying to stave off numb bum syndrome. At other times it just hovers.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 29 Dec 2016, 10:49

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:Out of curiosity, where do you guys put your right foot when using CC ? I tend to put mine flat on the floor which isn't a great idea, I know but hovering it over the brake pedal seems to be a bit of a strain. Mind you, I only have CC on when I know I can drive with sensible gaps between the car in front.

On traffic free motorways my right foot is all over the place tapping to the music and generally trying to stave off numb bum syndrome. At other times it just hovers.

Perhaps you need one of these ? :lol:

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 29 Dec 2016, 11:13

My left foot is permanently parked (on a foot rest), my right foot hovers but when things are very quiet, planted on the floor.
I try to adjust the gap by the +/- control on the steering wheel before resorting to the brake or accelerator pedals, which switches CC off. But can press Res which re- engages CC and accelerates the car to the set speed. I suppose radar does that automatically?

I tap to music with my fingers on the steering wheel. The seats are very comfortable so don't require a ring though I do have one!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 29 Dec 2016, 11:47

On the subject of general comfort, I had a really bad back problem after driving non-stop for 4 hours, sleeping in a soft (to me) bed, sitting on soft sofas and then driving non-stop for 4 hours home. Really struggled to get out of bed and upright. My physio was a bit surprised as the Discover seats are very much upright and so posture is not too bad.

So..the top tip my physio gave me was to simply stop at each or every other service station and just get out and walk round the car. No need to go into the services...that simple walk round is enough. And it works!!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 29 Dec 2016, 12:25

Rod wrote:My left foot is permanently parked (on a foot rest), my right foot hovers but when things are very quiet, planted on the floor.
I try to adjust the gap by the +/- control on the steering wheel before resorting to the brake or accelerator pedals, which switches CC off. But can press Res which re- engages CC and accelerates the car to the set speed. I suppose radar does that automatically?

Rod

I do the same with my feet.

The active cruise control will drive at the set speed unless something comes in front of you. Then it will maintain a safe distance (you have options in settings for how big the distance is but none are unsafe close). If you are at speed and someone overtakes then pulls in front the car does not slow down if the gap continues to increase - even if they are 'too close' when they pull in front. If they slow down so the gap is not increasing (ie a really annoying driver) then the car will slow and restore the gap.
Change to a lane with nothing in front and the car accelerates back to set speed.
This one resumes speed at a sensible rate. my previous car saw resume as an order to race back to speed.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 29 Dec 2016, 19:07

Robert wrote:
Rod wrote:My left foot is permanently parked (on a foot rest), my right foot hovers but when things are very quiet, planted on the floor.

Rod

I do the same with my feet.

The active cruise control will drive at the set speed unless something comes in front of you. Then it will maintain a safe distance (you have options in settings for how big the distance is but none are unsafe close). If you are at speed and someone overtakes then pulls in front the car does not slow down if the gap continues to increase - even if they are 'too close' when they pull in front. If they slow down so the gap is not increasing (ie a really annoying driver) then the car will slow and restore the gap.
Change to a lane with nothing in front and the car accelerates back to set speed.
This one resumes speed at a sensible rate. my previous car saw resume as an order to race back to speed.

What happens when it fails while you're in progress ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Commander » 29 Dec 2016, 21:20

RogerS wrote:Scotsman's Fifth..excellent for improving MPG but not fitted to CC as standard !

Out of curiosity, where do you guys put your right foot when using CC ? I tend to put mine flat on the floor which isn't a great idea, I know but hovering it over the brake pedal seems to be a bit of a strain. Mind you, I only have CC on when I know I can drive with sensible gaps between the car in front.

I put my foot flat on the floor when using CC, I also tend to only use it when I have space to do so (the constant fiddling drives me nuts, so I prefer to keep the speed setting fairly constant, with only minor adjustments if need be). I can't say that I have ever been caught off guard while using it, that being said I wouldn't cross my legs or do something crazy like that...

Having just completed a 1550km 16 hour drive today I have to say the CC is indespensible on the open road in my mind, really very usefull and save a lot of energy, my only pet peeve is that after overtaking the CC on my A4 will actively try to return to the set speed even applying the brakes fairly harshly to do so, which just feels like a bit of a waste of energy to me. I usually get around this by applying slight pressure to the accelerator so that speed still decreases, but the car picks up my input and as such does not apply the brakes (I can easily keep an eye on the instantaneous consumption figure to have acurate feedback of just how much throttle I'm applying).

That being said I do like the fact that should a posted limit decrease appear I can decreases the set speed and the car will apply the brakes accordingly, which stops me from having to brake, set the CC again and then resume cruise on the new posted limit.
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby RogerS » 29 Dec 2016, 22:32

16 hours ? ! :o Rather you than me !!

This is a interesting topic. I can see that there are attractions in what Robert says and, after all, my car is an automatic and so I am using technology. As with the cruise control. Just that, I dunno, it seems just a step too far for me as I do like driving.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2016, 11:06

Interesting that Erich's CC will apply the brakes to reduce speed. Mine certainly does not do that.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 30 Dec 2016, 11:21

Mine does that too and switches on the brake lights whilst it's braking. I only found out about the brake lights whilst watching an animation of the cars functions yesterday.
BMW produce an App for each model, where you can read the owners handbook, watch a series of animations etc. Etc.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2016, 11:41

Andyp wrote:Interesting that Erich's CC will apply the brakes to reduce speed. Mine certainly does not do that.

I'm pretty sure that mine doesn't either. Difficult to know as I rarely use it at night and there's no indication inside the car. I do know that if I am running on CC and then switch it off, the car stops pretty sharpish (and I think without any brake lights). I have been so, so tempted at times with tailgaters.

I believe I may have cracked the 'white-van-man stuck up your exhaust pipe' situation. I hate this in the S2000. Your head tells you that, being much higher up, his visibility of impending danger/people braking is good but your heart tells you that the eejit is going to ram you if you had to brake suddenly.

Jamming the brakes on is never a good idea...they just see it as either a red-rag to a bull and drive even closer or will perform a lunatic overtaking manoeuvre and immediately jam on their brakes.

Driving very fast will lose them (for a while) but then the inevitable happens and you have to slow down for another vehicle and there they are, up your backside all over again. In any case I don't like speeding round blind bends..that's plain daft.

Driving very slow also is seen as antagonistic.

So...you have to try something different and my technique which on the last two occasions has worked extremely well, is to drive as if you are totally rat-arsed. Once they cotton to the fact that you are driving a bit erratic, drifting over the white line etc then their self-preservation kicks in and they pull back. Result.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 30 Dec 2016, 12:45

Andyp wrote:Interesting that Erich's CC will apply the brakes to reduce speed. Mine certainly does not do that.

That seems to be the difference between my Octavia model and Robert's Superb in Adaptive Cruise Control mode.
When the ACC can no longer reduce the speed fast enough by throttle closure alone, mine flashes up on the dash that you might like to apply the brakes (which in turn disables the CC) whereas Robert's Superb does apply the brakes. I'm not sure if this then drops out of CC or carries on according to the proximity to the vehicle in front. The latter would be more logical.
The difference maybe due to model, equipment level or the fact that he has the DSG (semi auto) gearbox in his car which I presume has either a electrically operated clutch or a torque converter.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 30 Dec 2016, 12:59

On the Defensive Driving courses I've been on, we were advised to double the 2 second gap to allow you to brake safely and slower so the tail gater doesn't smash into your rear end.
But what happens is that vehicles in other lanes just fill the gap.
In practice I've found it better to move over when safe and let the tail-gater annoy the car in front.

Rod

Just seen the news re the latest coach crash - lots of vehicles tanking on in the thick fog without lights - what absolutely idiots - they should be prosecuted!!
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2016, 13:24

Rod wrote:On the Defensive Driving courses I've been on, we were advised to double the 2 second gap to allow you to brake safely and slower so the tail gater doesn't smash into your rear end.

I don't follow the logic of that. If you are referring to the 2 second gap in front of you (which I think you are) then all that increasing that gap will do is prevent you from being shoved into the car in front.
Rod wrote:In practice I've found it better to move over when safe and let the tail-gater annoy the car in front.

Most of the tailgating we experience in the S2000 are on A and B roads. As far as motorway driving goes I'd prefer to have the idiot a long way behind me. That way when he (or she) causes the accident, I'm well out of it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2016, 13:27

Robert was delighted to take delivery of his new car (sorry, Robert, just couldn't resist when I saw this photo :D )

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 30 Dec 2016, 14:12

The theory was it allowed you to brake more gently i.e. Not stamp on your brakes. By braking slower you are giving the tailgater more time to react.

Most of the queues on busy, unhindered roads are caused by the stop/start driving of cars who are too close to each other. This causes a ripple effect which results in vehicles coming to a complete stop. If cars drove with decent gaps, allowing more gentle braking or even just throttling off the ripple effect wouldn't happen and smooth traffic flows achieved.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 30 Dec 2016, 15:12

When I lived up near Manchester a few years back, I was a Trade Plate Driver for a large national company. During peak season, the firm was shifting 1200 cars a day all over the UK - that's 3 cars per driver every weekday - we weren't insured to use the plates during the weekend. As I was centrally based, I would normally get jobs all over the UK. One day I might be in Cornwall or Kent and the next day up in the Scottish Highlands. I used to average around 600 miles a day and occasionally more. The most I drove in one day was close to 1000 miles - it was ridiculous and probably illegal.

Anyway, what I'm coming to is motorway driving... I've tried all sorts of different driving methods from sensible to darn right silly and often at high speeds. Fortunately, I never caused any accidents, but driving these sorts of miles against the clock everyday was mentally exhausting. These days when driving the motorways for pleasure, I always keep a good speed and distance from the vehicle in front and I use all lanes accordingly. One of many types of drivers which annoy me intently are the 'middle lane drivers'. :twisted:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2016, 15:23

Rod wrote:......
Most of the queues on busy, unhindered roads are caused by the stop/start driving of cars who are too close to each other. This causes a ripple effect which results in vehicles coming to a complete stop. If cars drove with decent gaps, allowing more gentle braking or even just throttling off the ripple effect wouldn't happen and smooth traffic flows achieved.

Rod

Absolutely spot on. There have been quite a few academic studies into this/modelling etc to prove this to be the case. Unfortunately, as we all know, many drivers leave their brains behind in the garage.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2016, 15:28

Pinch wrote:.....One of many types of drivers which annoy me intently are the 'middle lane drivers'. :twisted:

Totally agree. The Govt wanted to crack down on this. Only trouble is no-one remembered to tell the Govt that you actually need to have traffic police to do this. The Imp of Perversity would have me drive one of these up behind them.

Through the rear window, lift, and remove. :evil:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 30 Dec 2016, 15:47

RogerS wrote:
Pinch wrote:.....One of many types of drivers which annoy me intently are the 'middle lane drivers'. :twisted:

Totally agree. The Govt wanted to crack down on this. Only trouble is no-one remembered to tell the Govt that you actually need to have traffic police to do this. The Imp of Perversity would have me drive one of these up behind them.

Through the rear window, lift, and remove. :evil:

:lol: :lol: That's ma boy! :lol: :lol:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat