It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:28

Dem Stones

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Dem Stones

Postby Phil » 26 Dec 2016, 14:47

Dem Stones, dem stones, dem kinny stones

I am a very good manufacturer of kidney stones starting way back in the 70’s.

Generally the ‘birth’ pains start during the night when you are well relaxed and you then crawl around on the floor from pain, puking at the same time, till the Doc’s rooms open or visit the local emergency.

Of the 5 stones one had to be cut out in ’85 the rest extracted or bombarded with whatever.
“Sir, please relax under the anaesthetic while we force this 2 inch diameter pipe up dickey”

The last stone launched itself one lunchtime at work, I drove to the clinic where the Doc’s rooms are, still not sure how I got there. Admitted straight away and pumped full of pain killers.
Another 2 inch diameter pipe procedure and then a stent fitted between the bladder and kidney which has to be removed 10 days later. I am sure these Doc’s do a special course in sadism.

The symptoms start off with back pain where the kidney is situated, then goes down into the groin and nuts.
My right kidney seems to be the main manufacturing quarry.

Now onto November 2016.

Some back pain, slight groin pain and a sore right nut.

Made an appointment with the urologist.

He did the usual sonar thingy on the kidneys, bladder and prostrate and pronounced all ok. Then we got to the physical side ……………………
“Ok, stop playing with the nuts, its tender” :oops:
“You are going to stick that finger where?” :o

Finally finished, he says all looks ok. I asked if he has ever had a kidney stone – “No”, so that leaves me as a bit of an expert.

Go home, drink lots of fluids (beer) and convince myself it is all in the mind! (and the back, groin and nut)

Comes 23rd December.

Waking up, I get this funny itching feeling in dickey as well as the bladder. I remember it well! It is a stone trying to exit the ureters into the bladder.

The feeling is you want to pee all the time, but the bladder is empty.

24th December – same feeling

25th December –same feeling. Drink more beer and have some wine.

During the afternoon, feeling very mellow, I proceed to the bathroom to dispose of all these fluids.
Looking down aiming for the middle of the bowl …………… all of a sudden something dark pops out with the stream! :o
Fetched a stick from the workshop and fished the object out the bowl.

It is the kidney stone!!!! Proud father of a stone 4mm x 3mm x 2mm (vernier) :D

The stone is quite smooth hence the lack of excruciating pain normally associated with kidney stones.
This is what it looks like (apologies for poor quality)

Cheers
Phil
Last edited by Phil on 22 Apr 2018, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Dem Stones

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Dec 2016, 14:53

:text-bravo: :text-happynewyear:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Dem Stones

Postby Rod » 26 Dec 2016, 16:25

Happy giving birthday (of the stone)
When I was in hospital, a couple of years ago, the chap opposite was suffering from them - kept us all awake all night with his moans and groans despite pain killers - it must have hurt!

Rod
Last edited by Rod on 26 Dec 2016, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 26 Dec 2016, 16:31

sell it on ebay ! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Dec 2016, 17:04

How big ? :o

F*** me.....bloody hell, mate. Made my eyes water just looking at it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Dec 2016, 22:10

Ouch!! Well done for passing that bad boy!!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Commander » 28 Dec 2016, 06:55

Holy crap Phil :o :shock: and congratulations! :lol: that must have been something...
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Phil » 01 Jan 2017, 06:25

Rod wrote:Happy giving birthday (of the stone)
When I was in hospital, a couple of years ago, the chap opposite was suffering from them - kept us all awake all night with his moans and groans despite pain killers - it must have hurt!

Rod

This stone is very smooth hence the lack of excruciating pain as it worked its way out of the kidney.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 01 Jan 2017, 06:26

Tusses wrote:sell it on ebay ! :lol:

:lol: :lol: Would you like to start the bid? :lol:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 01 Jan 2017, 06:33

RogerS wrote:How big ? :o

F*** me.....bloody hell, mate. Made my eyes water just looking at it.

If its a jagged edge stone, it makes more than your eyes water .............

TrimTheKing wrote:Ouch!! Well done for passing that bad boy!!

Cheers
Mark

Commander wrote:Holy crap Phil :o :shock: and congratulations! :lol: that must have been something...

I realy felt proud of the kidney and water works in getting rid of the stone without the pain and another hospital session.
The last stone cost R32k as it was not a normal operating day.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 22 Apr 2018, 13:46

Ok, so we have now moved on a bit, 15 months and 2 weeks.

Monday morning 9th at about 09:15 I was in a budget meeting when the pain hit. Right side kidney and all the way into the groin. Then get the very warm feeling in the mouth and know I will start puking soon.
Hotfooted it back home and made friends with the toilet.
This then carried on into the afternoon and too scared to eat or drink anything. I desperately needed some pain killers.

Then I remembered the tablets that I got after my shoulder op in February.
Small white tablet and it is placed under the tongue to dissolve. (contains morphine) that sorted out the pain and I slept like a log.

The big question now is do I sit it out and see if it comes out on its own or go and see the Urologist.
I decided to sit it out. (very brave knowing what pain killers are in the cupboard! :D )

To catch the stone I have to pee in a small collapsible plastic cup with a sieve in the bottom. This cup goes with me when we go out. :oops:

Move on a week. There is still this niggle-feeling in the back, and I can’t leave it too long as it could damage the kidney.

Off to see the Urologist last Thursday.
Sent me for a CT scan and x-ray, fortunately all on the same site as the hospital and consulting rooms.

2 long hours later …………………………..

Can’t see any stone in the ureter (so where the F.... is that stone?), but the scan shows a 7.9mm x 5.7mm stone in the left kidney and a 6.2mm stone in the right kidney. These are not small and would be difficult to pass through the ureter to the bladder.

So, off to hospital in the morning to have the left one ‘sound blasted’ to break it up. This is a new one for me as the others have all been removed through the bladder.

Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Apr 2018, 15:37

Ouch! Bloody 'ell, Phil!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 22 Apr 2018, 21:44

Empathy in Spades Phil. No 1 Child has 'em and it ain't no fun seeing a late-twenties-something bent like a hairpin, bawling blue murder, with doctors unable to suss out where the sods were. No 2 Child thought she was malingering, until his wee turned bright red after a morning run with the dog and now he's an authority on C.T's/M.R.I.'s/ultrasounds/reading runes...his too were a right bugger to find and blitz. We reckon it's partially hereditary? Your family got stones problems anywhere but you?

Sam, possessor of strange genes.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Phil » 26 Apr 2018, 07:21

Sam, it looks like I am the stone mason in the family. :lol:
My sympathy to No 1 child. It is not fun crawling on the floor and crying from pain.

The ultrasound blasting went well, just a small bruise on the back. Picking up some dark grains in the urine, so it seems to be shattered.
Have to go back in a month for an x-ray to confirm its gone.

Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 26 Apr 2018, 12:24

Wishing you the best Phil. Both my kids seem to have recovered from their gritty little problems. Sim is back digging his garden and Ness is decorating like an octopus with brushes, so I think we too got away with it in the end.

There is a saying here: "You don't appreciate health until you lose it" truer words never said.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Apr 2018, 15:09

Ouch! Glad you’re okay now mate.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 27 Apr 2018, 07:59

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Wishing you the best Phil.

There is a saying here: "You don't appreciate health until you lose it" truer words never said.

Sam

Thanks Sam.
That saying should be posted all over.
We see people every day with walkers and a couple of them in wheelchairs.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 27 Apr 2018, 08:03

TrimTheKing wrote:Ouch! Glad you’re okay now mate.

Thanks Mark.
I was fine until Wednesday evening, then all the pain started. :cry: :cry:

A couple of painkillers and the day looks great. :D

Phil
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat