It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:21

Vaping Implements' Holder

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Vaping Implements' Holder

Postby Pinch » 01 Jan 2017, 21:27

Hi All 8-)

I've decided to make myself a neat holder for my collection of vaping implements.

There is a new addition to the family which I gratefully received on Christmas morning - very cool indeed.

Below are a few pictures showing off my vaping implements - from left-to-right: normal vape mod box, normal vape pen, sub ohm cloud chaser mod box and my new addition, the sub ohm cloud chaser pipe.

The normal vapers are my everyday jobbies and they have different tanks with a slightly different mixture of vaping juices in them. The sub ohm cloud chasers are more of a chill-out-arm-chair-with-beer-in-the-other-hand jobby, but I do use these during the day as well - only without the beer! :|

Here, I've swapped the sub ohm tanks with the pipe and the mod box - I likey.

Here are the sub ohm'rs fired up as indicated by the lights.

The pipe also tells the time.

Idea of scale. Yes, he's a chunky little devil. 8-)

Anyways, I'm going to make a holder to house all of them simultaneously so they comfortably sit on a small table like elephant thingy beside my arm chair (end of sofa) in the living room. I have a few ideas and I'm going to start this nice little project sometime during the week, but any 'quirky' ideas will be gratefully received. I do like quirky. 8-)

Cheers.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Vaping Implements' Holder

Postby RogerS » 02 Jan 2017, 06:04

:lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 02 Jan 2017, 06:56

RogerS wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Pinch » 02 Jan 2017, 10:13

Hmmmmm.... yes..... indeed.

:lol: :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 02 Jan 2017, 10:34

RogerS wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rog! Luckily I'm using an I-Pad & the tea I've just spat out wipes clean off it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 02 Jan 2017, 10:37

I'd invest in a dental plan Paul, looking at the size of that pipe you'll have front teeth like Freddie Mercury in no time at all :mrgreen: :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Jan 2017, 11:36

Don't listen to them, Paul. They're all wicked boys, and I should tell their mums of them if I were you!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 02 Jan 2017, 16:07

Doug wrote:I'd invest in a dental plan Paul, looking at the size of that pipe you'll have front teeth like Freddie Mercury in no time at all :mrgreen: :lol:

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the teeth thing...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah seriously, it's no worries on the old choppers.
One can also fasten a specially designed pipe mouth piece making it into a bit of a churchwarden pipe. 8-)

Just the job.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Jan 2017, 16:22

Malc2098 wrote:Don't listen to them, Paul. They're all wicked boys, and I should tell their mums of them if I were you!!

:lol: Indeed, and if I were to go down the hat route, it would be like my great-great-grandfather's pipe hat in my avatar picture - Mr Jossel Wolf Gosyokovich Pinchefsky 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Jan 2017, 16:47

Pinch wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Don't listen to them, Paul. They're all wicked boys, and I should tell their mums of them if I were you!!

:lol: Indeed, and if I were to go down the hat route, it would be like my great-great-grandfather's pipe hat in my avatar picture - Mr Jossel Wolf Gosyokovich Pinchefsky 8-)

He's not local, then?! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Jan 2017, 16:48

Actually, I'm just converting from tobacco to vaping myself, and I really like that churchwarden pipe!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Tusses » 02 Jan 2017, 17:17

I've never smoked .. but always wondered about vaping ...
Is is taxed like tabaco ?

is it a "safe high" .. as in, would kids start legaly vaping instead using other stuff ?

I presume it has some positive mental effect, or else , why do it ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Jan 2017, 19:26

Malc2098 wrote:Actually, I'm just converting from tobacco to vaping myself, and I really like that churchwarden pipe!

It's much healthier and cheaper for you. I've been vaping for just over a year now and I wish I started years ago. I was an actual pipe smoker for several years and had a collection of 17 wonderful pipes - I do miss the pipe. But, it was becoming too heavy on my chest, so I started smoking the rollies and then gave those up back in September 2015.

If you decide to give it a go, it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've done that period and maybe found the right kit/vaping juice that suits you, you won't look back. For me, it was never just about being addicted to nicotine, it was the whole package - the pipe, the kit, holding something in your hand, the smell, the taste... all of it. Give it a bash chap - you'll love it. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Jan 2017, 19:54

Tusses wrote:I've never smoked .. but always wondered about vaping ...
Is is taxed like tabaco ?

is it a "safe high" .. as in, would kids start legaly vaping instead using other stuff ?

I presume it has some positive mental effect, or else , why do it ?

Not yet, but word on the street is the government certainly will be sometime in the future. :|

I can't comment for the younger generation, but lots of youngsters (16+) are vaping - it's very cool and trendy for them, and much healthier for the user and passive.

Depends on your own personal mental effects... as an example; the normal vape juice has nicotine levels from 0-36mg whereas the sub ohm vape is 0-6mg. I started normal vape on 24mg and I'm now around 6-12mg and 3mg sub ohm. With normal vape, you can get that nicotine hit where sub ohm is more about flavour and of course... cloud chasing - huge plumes of vape - you may have seen them. It can get very complicated with the kits and knowing how to use them correctly with the correct temperature settings for the type of atomiser in the tank, etc. The juice flavours and ratios can take a little time to get right too. But once conquered, oh man, it's pretty darn good.

The NHS published a paper in 2015 which said vaping is 97% less harmful than tobacco. I know time will prove whatever, but I know my own body and it is unquestionably much better for me than tobacco.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 02 Jan 2017, 20:18

Pinch wrote:........much healthier for the user and passive......

That's not yet known. In fact, here is the World Health organisation on the subject:

In August 2016, a World Health Organization (WHO) report recommended that e-cigarettes be banned in indoor areas or where smoking is prohibited

Most US states are banning it now in indoor public places as evidence emerges of its harms. I have had to abandon a local pub which allows it as my eyes stream and I cough uncontrollably when surrounded by the vapour. Pity, as we always enjoyed the Sunday night quizzes there.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vaping_bans_in_the_United_States
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Jan 2017, 20:51

Mike G wrote:
Pinch wrote:........much healthier for the user and passive......

That's not yet known. In fact, here is the World Health organisation on the subject:

In August 2016, a World Health Organization (WHO) report recommended that e-cigarettes be banned in indoor areas or where smoking is prohibited

Most US states are banning it now in indoor public places as evidence emerges of its harms. I have had to abandon a local pub which allows it as my eyes stream and I cough uncontrollably when surrounded by the vapour. Pity, as we always enjoyed the Sunday night quizzes there.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vaping_bans_in_the_United_States

Whatever Mike. Personally, I know vaping is much better for my body than tobacco.

I watched an English documentary a few months back where several people were put under an 8 week (might have been 3 months) programme which included a wide variety of testing to see how vaping effects a person's health and the results were staggeringly good. I don't remember the actual figure, but it was scientifically proven that vaping is less than 0.5% harmful to the human body.

I do however think the authorities need to focus on the black marketeers who make vape juice from much cheaper ingredients which could potentially be harmful - apparently.

But yes, the vaping world is still in its early days of knowing the long term truth.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby StevieB » 02 Jan 2017, 22:21

Pinch wrote:
I don't remember the actual figure, but it was scientifically proven that vaping is less than 0.5% harmful to the human body.

As a scientist, I would take objection to that statement! How can 'harm' be defined as a %? Define 'harm'. I could accept that it does less 'harm' than standard cigarette smoking, although that would likely depend on the number of cigarettes smoked and the duration. Vaping is not beneficial to your health however, you are still taking in nicotine as an addictive substance, plus whatever else is included in the 'juice'. It may indeed make you feel better than smoking roll-ups, but that is not a reason to vape if you have never smoked!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 03 Jan 2017, 01:19

Steve, I am merely quoting the documentary I watched with interest a while back. I'll try and find the documentary and post a link.

I'm not a scientist and so my definition of 'harm' is in layman terms which can be defined in many ways both physically or mentally... Certain substances are more harmful than others, perhaps effecting different areas of the body, and as a comparison (one against the other), they're placed in percentage brackets aren't they - as a comparison? One being a higher percentage of harm to the body than the other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nicotine isn't the harmful substance here, it's all the other addictive chemicals with cigarette smoking which is the problem? The documentary also focused on nicotine intake and the tests proved the levels of nicotine taken with daily use of vaping isn't harmful and has no effect on a person's working performance - be it mental or physical.

To vape or not to vape is obviously a personal choice. I used to smoke a pipe (tobacco) and I loved it all day long - it was a major part of my life. But, it wasn't good for my health so I chose to give it up. It doesn't take a scientist to be fully aware that there are possible dangers with vaping (depending on the juice), but I do know it's nowhere near harmful as tobacco cigarette smoking.

I think the vaping game is getting a hard ride by the media. If most smokers turned to vaping, it would be a huge step forward for Public Health, saving lives of millions of smokers worldwide.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 06:04

A quick Google suggests that you are partly right, Pinch, in that there are a lot more unhealthy substances in tobacco. But I take with a pinch of salt any programme that says nicotine is harmless as this meta-study suggests otherwise.

As with all things, there are a lot of powerful lobbying groups and concealed vested interests out there.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 03 Jan 2017, 09:28

I think there's a yin-yang with a lot of these substances. Yes, there's no question that nicotine is a poison, but in low levels of intake it wasn't proved to be the harmful substance in the above mentioned tests - that's what I was referring to above, based on a few documentaries I've watched. In fact, I also remember in one of the documentaries that a regulated intake of nicotine enhanced the performance of people with Alzheimer disease and is used as a treatment plan in some cases. And if memory serves, this was broadcast on the BBC, possibly Horizon some months back.

Apart from the obvious, there is copious amounts of bad stuff out there, even in our daily foods bought from supermarkets apparently. I guess this can go round in circles, but as I understand it, the killer with cigarette smoking isn't the content of nicotine. It was also proven that nicotine in vape juice isn't addictive as it is in cigarettes, but that's because vape juice doesn't have all those other bad addictive chemicals as cigarettes do.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 09:42

Chaps,

I think some of you may be missing the point here. Paul has said he was a pipe smoker and converted to vaping. I have just said I'm in the process of converting from tobacco to vapour! I have smoked for 45 years. I would have thought that, especially on this forum, a little support would have been preferable to just giving Paul a hard time over his interpretation of the data that he has seen.

I have resisted the temptation to join in the threads about drivers who choose their own speeds according the conditions they consider ok. IMHO it is they who deserve a hard time rather than those who have given up smoking, but if anyone wants me to join in in those threads, I can give graphic and emotional details of dealing with crashes caused by that very choice and the subsequent effect on everyone touched by that choice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby StevieB » 03 Jan 2017, 10:44

Not giving anyone a hard time over giving up smoking Malc, merley pointing out that the statistic quoted was nonsensical and should not be used as a basis for anything as it was written. A percentage in the way it was described needs to be compared to something (as Pinch later points out in a subsequent post) not used as an absolute.

If vaping can be used as a stepping stone to giving up smoking then great, go for it. It is not a health benefit however, or neutral, and we should be careful not to promote it as such. Pinch used the term 'the results were staggeringly good' - this implies a benefit to vaping. What I suspect he meant was that 'the results were staggeringly good when compared to smoking', which is not the same thing.

We all have our pet peeves - as a scientist one of mine happens to be use of the terms 'scientifically tested' or 'scientifically proven' when used to apply a veneer or respectability to a study, finding or reported fact. I apologise if this was read as discouraging anyone from giving up smoking.

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 11:49

Thanks Steve. Almost word-for-word what I was about to write. I commend anyone for fighting and overcoming addictions.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 12:19

Mike G wrote:Thanks Steve. Almost word-for-word what I was about to write. I commend anyone for fighting and overcoming addictions.

haha ... wish me luck then .. my new years res is to be t-total as soon as is safe :?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 12:26

Tusses wrote:
Mike G wrote:Thanks Steve. Almost word-for-word what I was about to write. I commend anyone for fighting and overcoming addictions.

haha ... wish me luck then .. my new years res is to be t-total as soon as is safe :?

Ha..ha....my resolution to cut back (as seriously stressed with this house move) lasted 12 hours.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat