It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:42

Vacuum lift

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Vacuum lift

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 10:23

Saw this on a TV programme recently and thought the idea rather clever. Basically it creates a vacuum above the lift capsule and up you go !

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Vacuum lift

Postby Andyp » 03 Jan 2017, 10:50

certainly more fun than a stair lift.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 10:57

My belly would slurp against the glass!! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 11:07

Malc2098 wrote:My belly would slurp against the glass!! :D

Given the size of the occupants who went up in one, in the last episode of 'Escape to the Chateau', I don't think you need have any worries, Malc !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 11:17

RogerS wrote:

Given the size of the occupants who went up in one, in the last episode of 'Escape to the Chateau', I don't think you need have any worries, Malc !

Saw it! Love the show! He's good value for money!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 11:26

Malc2098 wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Saw it! Love the show! He's good value for money!

I agree but whenever I see him, I'm just itching to get out a pair of scissors and trim that moustache!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 11:29

That's part of his value!! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 11:57

An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 12:23

Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.

In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 12:27

RogerS wrote:
Mike G wrote:An answer in search of a problem. Hauling lifts up with a cable works beautifully well.

In a house ? This lift is perfect for a house. Minimum height needed at first floor level is 2.7m. You can't do that with cables.

And cost? No idea what the price would be for a cable lift but I'll wager it is significantly more than this elegant solution.

I would have thought a cable could go sideways, as well as up and down. just need a pulley wheel to change direction. then the motor could be anywhere ?

yes .. I think too much ! lol
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 12:28

Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote:

I would have though a cable could go sideways, as well as up and down. just need a pulley wheel to change direction. then the motor could be anywhere ?

Space for the motor and the cables? Sledgehammer approach.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 13:01

RogerS wrote:

Nah.....I used to design them into buildings all the time. A lot of disabled lifts are pushed up from below by hydraulics, rather than hauled up from above by cables. But again, simple, known technology which works beautifully, and cheaply. As for floor heights, well, I've designed and overseen disabled lifts which only went up a metre or so. I say again, a vacuum system is utterly unnecessary. It may look neat, with the lack of any visible means of support for the "car", but it's pointless.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2017, 14:04

Mike G wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Nah.....I used to design them into buildings all the time. A lot of disabled lifts are pushed up from below by hydraulics, rather than hauled up from above by cables. But again, simple, known technology which works beautifully, and cheaply. As for floor heights, well, I've designed and overseen disabled lifts which only went up a metre or so. I say again, a vacuum system is utterly unnecessary. It may look neat, with the lack of any visible means of support for the "car", but it's pointless.

Hydraulics....Surely they will need space below the ground floor...sounds like a lot of excavation into foundations and a lot of unnecessary work.

The point regarding the floor height I didn't explain very well. I meant the height between floor and ceiling at the first floor level. All that the vacuum lift needs is 2.7m. Your cables are going to have to go into the loft together with that motor.

And cost-wise ?

How much would a hydraulic lift (including installation and excavation) cost for a normal two-storey house?

Or a cable -lift (including installation). I'd be very curious to know.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 14:20

" I know nothing "

as Manwel would say ! lol

but I am a thinker !
but I'd imagine a counter weighted lift, wouldn't take much moving , however it's powered ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Jan 2017, 14:32

Tusses wrote:" I know nothing "

but I am a thinker !
but I'd imagine a counter weighted lift, wouldn't take much moving , however it's powered ?

How would you counter weight a lift that has to ascend both empty as well as fully loaded? :eusa-think:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 14:39

9fingers wrote:

but I am a thinker !

How would you counter weight a lift that has to ascend both empty as well as fully loaded? :eusa-think:

Bob

You could at least counter weight the empty lift weight. Even a little more, so you are lifting the weights when it's empty, or a person or 2 when it's occupied.

I'd go for the lift weight, plus half the intended payload as a starting point for calculations ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 03 Jan 2017, 14:39

Wasn't the point of this lift that there was minimal installation as it only took a day to install?

Also it easily fit in an existing building so taking up minimal space?

Usually it's installation costs that are the dear part of this kind of project so a pre made easily installled unit should offer good savings.

I didn't see the whole programme but saw a little about the lift as the good lady wife watching it, is he married to a designer?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2017, 17:11

Tusses wrote:
9fingers wrote:

but I am a thinker !

Bob

You could at least counter weight the empty lift weight. Even a little more, so you are lifting the weights when it's empty, or a person or 2 when it's occupied.

I'd go for the lift weight, plus half the intended payload as a starting point for calculations ?

I was now heavier than the barrel ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2017, 17:13

Roger,
Love it!!!!!!
:eusa-clap:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 03 Jan 2017, 18:21

RogerM wrote:.......I was now heavier than the barrel ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Halfway down.......... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 03 Jan 2017, 18:23

:lol:

:text-bravo:

:text-lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name: