It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:57

Today's purchase...

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Today's purchase...

Postby kirkpoore1 » 07 Jan 2017, 23:34

123 board feet (10 cu ft/0.3 cu meters) of cherry:

Various grades, widths, and thicknesses, for two upcoming projects. Price was $545, which works out to $4.43 per board foot including sales tax. And I had to drive about a hundred miles round trip. A decent price for this quantity of wood.

Also, last Saturday I bought myself this late Christmas present:

I'm still not sure how I'm going to get up to the mounting point above the center of the shop. And I have to rewire a junction box to provide an outlet, and it will still be controlled by a light switch. Still, I should breathe less dust.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: Today's purchase...

Postby Tusses » 07 Jan 2017, 23:43

nice buy .. I like feet ..
12" x 12" x 1" .. or more usually 12" x1" x 12' :-)

mounting the duster should be easy, even if you just use builders galvanized straps
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 07 Jan 2017, 23:46

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 07 Jan 2017, 23:52

The thing about the air filter is that it needs to go here:

Roughly between the two middle 2x4's that span the clerestory, half way between the two ceiling fans. And that will be about 12 feet off the floor. I think it weighs about 60 lbs, so lifting it will be non-trivial.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 08 Jan 2017, 00:05

meh... 'seasy :-)

I'll take some pics tomorrow ...
Mine isn't as high , but just means you need a higher platform (table/bench)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jan 2017, 17:04

I did mine myself up a ladder. Bought the wire mounting kit for it.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Tusses » 08 Jan 2017, 17:50

My 2x6's are running front to back.

The duster is home made. but I fixed 2x2's to it (left to right) , to fit the 2x6 joist spacing.
Pre drilled the fixing holes and preloaded with screws.

Mine is only 8' up, so just stood on my TS, you would need a higher platform, or a pair of ladders etc.

up you go, use your back / shoulder to hold it up, loose fit the screws one end. Swivel round and fit the screws the other side tight, swivel back and tighten up the 1st two.

There are all sorts of "helpers" /props you can make , similar to putting up drywall on your own.

thinking about it ... I couldn't get to the top of my 2x6's, but you could go even easier and put/rest the 2x2's on top of your 2x4's .. so it holds it's own weight, then just fix it so it can't move.

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2017, 22:44

Is this the same model as this one ?

If so beware....caveat. What I am about to say relates to the 240v version. It could well be that it is OK on 110v.

The electronics are a CoS (crock of s**t). The design uses the cheapest components going and the worst design possible. There is an overrated capacitor on the board that fails. Regularly. I am on my 3rd replacement board and the capacitor is failing again.

Please don't shoot the messenger.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 09 Jan 2017, 01:58

It looks the same, though they have a couple of different models. I have the one that's got more capacity. Not that would make a difference to the electronics. And yes, it's a 120v model.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby justaskin » 09 Jan 2017, 08:24

Hi Kirk
I have suspended mine on the 4 wire rope that was supplied with mine. I found this the best way as it eliminates any resonance sounding through the wooden beams.
Envious over the cherry :mrgreen:

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Tusses » 09 Jan 2017, 11:06

RogerS wrote:Is this the same model as this one ?

if it has those loops it should be even easier to hang ! ... just "hoist" it up and then fix in place :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 09 Jan 2017, 11:07

RogerS wrote: I am on my 3rd replacement board and the capacitor is failing again.

Rog .. can't you just replace the capacitor with a decent one ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Jan 2017, 11:08

Tusses wrote:
RogerS wrote: I am on my 3rd replacement board and the capacitor is failing again.

Rog .. can't you just replace the capacitor with a decent one ?

Yup...just not got round to it. Main reason for posting was to alert Kirk to the possibility that he might need to be up and down to it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 09 Jan 2017, 11:23

There is a thread on UKW for the solution.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/jet- ... 92399.html
Component values could well be different for the 120v US version.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 09 Jan 2017, 19:23

I very very rarely switch mine on. :|
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby kirkpoore1 » 10 Jan 2017, 01:42

Thanks for posting that thread. I'll give it a shot and fix it if needed down the road. Maybe they've addressed the problem sonce then.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 11 Jan 2017, 23:13

Just recently hung a JET air filter...didn't bother with the JET fixing kit. Fix some eyes on plates to the ceiling (forget what they're called) then a pack of steel Carabeina clips and four lengths of chain. I got a friend to help, as it's about 3 m up, and it's heavy!

Didn't know about the cap problem...the one in the Leeds shop has been going great for maybe 5 years. Maybe lucky...hope I stay lucky.

Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 20 Mar 2017, 01:43

With other projects out of the way (the ones I used the cherry on), this weekend I finally got to the Jet air cleaner. Several of you said I should hang it, and while I pondered that I realized that I needed to determine the best height.

My shop has a 16' ceiling in the clerestory, and I routinely run a ceiling fan to keep the hot hair from pooling up there. I have a fan located about 5 feet from each end of the shop, and the heat pump is located at the far end (from the garage). The pump puts out hot air, which of course rises, and then the fan at the near end blows it down at the other end of the shop. Theoretically then, there should be an air flow from the far to the near end at some height. I needed to see where that was so I could put the cleaner in the flow. To do this I taped some tissue paper strips to an extendable pole and held the pole up:
High position, above the 12' level (the 2x4's spanning the clerestory are at 12' over the floor).

Low position, below 12'.

Clearly the air flow is there and it's high up. Since I didn't want to hang the cleaner too far from the ceiling, I decided to mount it on the cross members.
I added one more cross members so that the platform would be fully supported. While I was up there I changed out the ballast of one of my florescent light sets. (Of my original fixtures, 4 of the 8 have died in just over 7 years. Fine Chinese craftsmanship.)

Next I added the platform. This is just a piece of half inch ply screwed to the cross members. The rope is for the next step.

The plan was for me to push the cleaner up the ladder, while my son pulled on the rope to help lift it. This worked. But I still found it alarming. Even though the cleaner isn't that heavy, I didn't want the weight coming down on me. My son is autistic, and I really had to emphasize to him not to let go of that rope!

Once over the lip of the platform, the box started tilting down into place. I was able to control the drop successfully without a big crash. I added the foam pads that came with the cleaner, then screwed it lightly to the platform so it wouldn't move.

I didn't get any pics of the electrical. You can see the cord snaking over to an outlet. I added this, and wired the outlet back to the junction box between the two lights on the left. This required several trips up and down ladder. I tested that the circuit was off, then turned the lights back on to complete most of the work.

At one point I got a tingle off the wire I was working with. Pro tip: If you're going to be stupid with electricity, especially on the top of a ladder, do it with 120v. The wire I was working on was on the same circuit as the lights, and I forgot to turn them off to do the final hookup. (So don't give me all that stuff about how 240v heats your tea faster. :) )

I also bought a washable furnace filter and added a magnetic rig to hold it in place over the Jet filter. The Jet filter is held in with nice clips, but there's no way I'm getting up there to clean it all the time. My new filter can be hooked with my window opening pole from the floor level.

So that was my busy weekend. No woodworking, but I got a lot done in the shop, plus putting up some hooks to hold more clamps and sanding belts.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Return to General Woodworking