It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:40

Table Saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Table Saw

Postby Andyp » 25 Nov 2016, 07:45

That's rotten luck Erich. Although it will take some elbow grease that can only be surface rust on those planes, surely?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Nov 2016, 08:36

That looks like very heavy rust for a short exposure...

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 26 Nov 2016, 00:01

You must have very nasty rain?
A rub with some wire wool and light oil should remove most of it.
If it's gone deep, then some Restore rust remover or equivalent.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 26 Nov 2016, 16:21

I'm sure it looks worse than it is, however I was shocked at how bad it got in such a short amount of time. Once I have a free moment I will start cleaning them up and see how it goes. Even the wooden front handle took a beating, so that will need attention as well.
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Phil » 27 Nov 2016, 07:09

Erich, that's quite bad losing a tile on the garage roof. Does lots of damage.

We had the same storm winds driving through, but no damage in our area.
In the estate next to us (Meadows) a lot of houses lost their barge boards.
There were also a lot of uprooted trees in both estates.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Commander » 28 Nov 2016, 06:00

Phil wrote:Erich, that's quite bad losing a tile on the garage roof. Does lots of damage.

We had the same storm winds driving through, but no damage in our area.
In the estate next to us (Meadows) a lot of houses lost their barge boards.
There were also a lot of uprooted trees in both estates.

On the previous go-around we had uprooted trees and broken branches, but this time was fairly sedate in comparison, the tiles must have been loosened during the previous storm...

Hopefully I will be able to spen some time in the garage and test everything soon.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Commander » 09 Dec 2016, 12:47

After some closer inspection I found that during my attempt at "aligning" the saw I actually managed to let the carrier slip out of the trunnion, which is why the saw suddenly got stuck on the frame... After another couple of hours of fiddling and struggling I have managed to get the saw back onto the trunnion and aligned and the saw now does not interfere with the frame, it also seems to cut straight, so I'm very relieved.

I also found a bit of time and decided to tackle one of the rusted planes, I used some tool in a can and 800 grit water paper to remove the rust, all in it took about an hour which isn't too bad. I'm also quite happy with the results, there are some deep stains that won't come out, but the rust is gone and the plane is usable again, now I just need to get that grind stone back out as the blade is in serious need of sharpening!

before and after.

Some closeup's.

I intend to give the vinegar trick a try with the other one, just to see how it compares.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Dec 2016, 13:15

Nice, Erich. Once my 'shop is built I've got a couple to do, so will be nicking your best tips!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Commander » 10 Dec 2016, 04:27

Thanks Malcolm, this is actually the very first one I have done, so I'm by no means an expert, but it looks to have turned out ok. I actually found some of my files are also very rusted so I hope the vinegar trick works well as I would like to use it on them. In my case it was surface rust, so it ended up taking less effort than expected, for heavy rust this method might not word so well, but the "tool in a can" stuff should at least stop any future rust.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Dec 2016, 10:59

My tools and machines have been in damp storage for so long, even my lovely Japanese chisels, a retirement present from the Police, 16 years ago, are rusted. They and the planes will be my fist task when the 'shop is built.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Commander » 12 Dec 2016, 09:30

Malc2098 wrote:My tools and machines have been in damp storage for so long, even my lovely Japanese chisels, a retirement present from the Police, 16 years ago, are rusted. They and the planes will be my fist task when the 'shop is built.

I would love to see some photos of what they looked like before and after treatment, I'm sure there will be plenty of lessons learned along the way!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Dec 2016, 10:26

Commander wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:My tools and machines have been in damp storage for so long, even my lovely Japanese chisels, a retirement present from the Police, 16 years ago, are rusted. They and the planes will be my fist task when the 'shop is built.

I would love to see some photos of what they looked like before and after treatment, I'm sure there will be plenty of lessons learned along the way!

Good idea, Erich. I'll programme that in. Thanks.

Ever seen an orange cast iron BS table?!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Commander » 12 Dec 2016, 12:10

Malc2098 wrote:
Commander wrote:

:lol: I have not, but I have a feeling I will soon!
Commander
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 12 Dec 2016, 12:14

Malc2098 wrote:
Commander wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if the RSPCT should be tipped off about our Malc and his tools :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Dec 2016, 18:20

You're a grass, Rob!!! I'll send the boys round!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Commander » 13 Dec 2016, 05:31

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Commander
Sapling

Postby Commander » 09 Jan 2017, 11:14

Eventually I'm back from a lovely holiday and this past weekend I managed to find a couple of hours to work on the work bench. I added the tops of the frame and glue and screw them down.

(My apologies for some of the photos being rather poor quality.)

I then placed the top I intended to use on to the frame and found it wasn't quite big enough to make proper use of the size of the frame, luckily I had a second top up in the rafters that I could use, the only problem was to access it I had to take all the stuff stacked on top off, and then maneuver it down, put the top I thought of using back in its place and put back all the stuff that was up there in the first place. This was a bit of an operation and I spared a thought for my ladder as I'm a hefty fellow and the 1900x900x35mm post form top also doesn't come in light. No photos unfortunately as my hands were a bit full! :lol:

Next step was to measure and cut out a corner of the top to accommodate the steel saw table, i did this with the circular saw trying not to overlap the cuts, I finished it off with a hacksaw blade as I don't have a jigsaw and I didn't want to try and flip the top over (the piece would definitely have broken out leaving a mess).

After that I made some spacers to try and line up the top as close as possible to the saw table.

The difference in height before fitting spacers.

A stack of spacers.

Spacers installed.

I then put the top on and clamped it down, I didn't have my long screws at hand to permanently fix the top, I will do that shortly and post more pics.

Thanks for looking!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Tusses » 09 Jan 2017, 12:44

getting there ! :-)

if it was me, I'd make the top slightly high .. and shim the saw to match

keep it up !
Good thread !

:text-goodpost:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 09 Jan 2017, 19:21

Thanks Tusses, I agree that would probably be the better solution, I had to make a couple of changes to the design while building one of which included spacing the saw to accommodate the droop of the motor, so in effect the saw is spaced, it is just spaced so much that I had to space the table top as well :lol: :cry:

I forgot to say that I also added the dust drawer and it has caught quite a bit of dust already, not close to fully air tight, but it is much better than not having anything.

As for completing the project I have a feeling it will keep evolving as time goes by and I think up more things that I want to do. In the near future though I want to add the rest of the drawers, make shelfs for storage, add convenient power outlets and look at adding a router table to the far end. I actually spent about 45mins working at the table on a small side project and I'm pleased with the height, things also get done much faster if you don't have to constantly move stuff around!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Phil » 14 Jan 2017, 12:20

Tusses wrote:getting there ! :-)

if it was me, I'd make the top slightly high .. and shim the saw to match

keep it up !
Good thread !

:text-goodpost:

:text-+1:

Erich, what are you using for the top? MDF or propoer timber?

Commander wrote: I actually spent about 45mins working at the table on a small side project and I'm pleased with the height, things also get done much faster if you don't have to constantly move stuff around!

Fully agree with this.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 14 Jan 2017, 12:37

You are getting there Erich. Keep it up.

Have you considered an out feed extension table of some sort to aid ripping long stock? This could be hinged at the back and supported either by a folding leg or a swing out bracket.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Commander » 16 Jan 2017, 12:59

Thanks for the compliments gents!

Phil, I'm using a post form type top, I think it should do the trick and I had one lying around.

Andy, the top does come round the back of the saw but would fall a bit short if I have to cut really long pieces of lumber, I have thought about it but will probably only implement it at a later stage. I think the hinged version would work best, preferably with a leg that is supported on the trolley itself (coming back at an angle). I do have a bit of a space problem as it is, so ripping very long items would have to happen outside.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Phil » 17 Jan 2017, 08:35

Commander wrote:
Phil, I'm using a post form type top, I think it should do the trick and I had one lying around.

Erich,

That would most likely be 32mm PB with some HPL stuck on it.

Maybe have a loose sacrificial piece of MDF to not damage the HPL?

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 19 Jan 2017, 06:18

Phil, in hind sight it would have been a good idea to do so, but I would have to make some changes to the design to accommodate an additional sheet on top of the current top, so for the time being I will leave it as it is.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Commander » 23 Jan 2017, 06:44

SO over the weekend I managed to take a couple of photo's of what the top looks like. I'm already well into my latest project (as can be seen by the saw dust and shavings all over the place! :lol: ). I have to say I'm really enjoying the the new work space.

I also managed to use the router to add a chamfer to the back edge of the top. I have on occasion had items catch the edge when ripping, so hopefully this will solve the problem completely.

the saw table is ever so slightly higher than the workbench.

Just enough clearance for the fence to move freely. (Note, I took this picture before chamfering the edge.

I also managed to clean up my 2nd plane using the vinegar method, I will post a quick wright-up a little later.
Commander
Sapling

PreviousNext

Return to Machines & Power Toolery