It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:50

Beach house "Braai"

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Beach house "Braai"

Postby Andyp » 10 Dec 2016, 08:51

Barbecue at Christmas just don't sound right :D Enjoy your holidays and the Braai. Looks a good job.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 10 Dec 2016, 14:28

Yes when I hear from my sister in Brisbane cooking lobster etc on a BBQ for Christmas Lunch - it doesn't sound right
Have a nice holiday - miserable damp dreary day here.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 10 Dec 2016, 21:43

Thanks for the well wishes and compliments gents, we had another 33-35 degree day today so very hot indeed (I also prefer cool and overcast to sweltering :lol: ).
I used to be all about "just getting there" always opting for the shortest quickest route (often squeezing the journey into 1 day), but my attitude has changed for the most part, if your gonna drive down you may as well take the opportunity to look at some of the stunning scenery our beautiful country has to offer.
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Commander » 09 Jan 2017, 12:50

Just to finish up this tread here are some pics of the finished product!

Due to the screws I had available I was forced to screw down the top from above, not quite what I wanted to do, but it works...

Some hooks for hanging braai tongs etc.

An action shot!

We found the braai works well, it does seem to however ventilate a little too well causing the wood to burn out too quickly, so we will most likely make a plate to cover the bottom a little, this will also reduce the amount of burning embers and ash falling onto the grass below. For the rest we are happy with the end result and used it a number of times over the 12 days I was down at the coast, we even made a "potjie" for Christmas lunch!

Thanks for looking! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Commander
Sapling

Postby Tusses » 09 Jan 2017, 13:11

top result !! :D

but please soldier them screws ! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Jan 2017, 19:02

Great to see it in action. Well done.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Commander » 10 Jan 2017, 05:30

Thanks for the comments gents!

Tusses, you will have to explain that statement as I'm not picking up what your putting down! :lol: :oops: :lol:
Commander
Sapling

Postby Rod » 10 Jan 2017, 11:16

Looks very good - could you hang a tray underneath to catch ash, fat etc?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 10 Jan 2017, 11:19

Commander wrote:Tusses, you will have to explain that statement as I'm not picking up what your putting down! :lol: :oops: :lol:

I learned woodwork as a very young lad, from my grandad.
One of the thing that stuck with me, was to "soldier" the screws ..
as in, line them up nice and neat.

I always try to get a finished screw perfectly vertical or horizontal .. and always all of them the same way.

it's a bit OCD, but it looks good when done .. and doesn't take much effort.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Beach house

Postby Commander » 10 Jan 2017, 12:45

Rod wrote:Looks very good - could you hang a tray underneath to catch ash, fat etc?

Rod

Thanks for the suggestion Rod, we are planning to make a metal plate to do just that, not too sure how we will make it yet, but that was our main concern with the design. It would pretty much ruin the grass where ever we braaied, so we tried to keep it in the same spot where possible.
Commander
Sapling

Postby Commander » 10 Jan 2017, 12:50

Tusses wrote:
Commander wrote:Tusses, you will have to explain that statement as I'm not picking up what your putting down! :lol: :oops: :lol:

I learned woodwork as a very young lad, from my grandad.
One of the thing that stuck with me, was to "soldier" the screws ..
as in, line them up nice and neat.

I always try to get a finished screw perfectly vertical or horizontal .. and always all of them the same way.

it's a bit OCD, but it looks good when done .. and doesn't take much effort.

Ah ok, that makes sense! I normally try and apply a bit of OCD to make sure the finishing touches are executed well. The reason the screw closest to the handle is 1 row closer is that the top overlaps past the angle iron that attaches to the body, so I didn't want to tighten it down as there is a air gap that would end up twisting the top (and possibly breaking it over time). I did try lining the screws up, but admittedly I didn't measure, I just used the good old eyeball technique :lol: (I probably could have/should have moved the screws closest to the braai back by one strip... :eusa-think: I hope I'm understanding you properly this time!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Tusses » 10 Jan 2017, 13:03

Commander wrote:
Due to the screws I had available I was forced to screw down the top from above, not quite what I wanted to do, but it works...

this was the one that caught my eye .. only needs a tiny twist to make it line up .

I told you It was OCD ! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 10 Jan 2017, 18:29

Ah right, now I get it! And yes that would be much better! :D
Commander
Sapling

Postby Phil » 14 Jan 2017, 08:27

That really looks good Erich!

Mabe an adjustable damper plate at the bottom (think Weber kettle) and a clip on ash pan behind the wheels?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Commander » 14 Jan 2017, 20:52

Thanks Phil, and thanks to everyone with their suggestions and positive criticisms, it is much appreciated! Once we know how and what we want to add/change I will do some further updates here. (My dad is an engineer so simpler is better in his mind, so it may end up being something very simple!)

Thanks for looking! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Commander
Sapling

Postby Phil » 15 Jan 2017, 11:00

Commander wrote:(My dad is an engineer so simpler is better in his mind, so it may end up being something very simple!)

Just keep an eye on the engineer .............................

:lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 15 Jan 2017, 13:00

"An Engineer can build for a penny what any fool can build for a pound!"

“Any idiot can build a bridge that stands, but it takes an Engineer to build a bridge that barely stands.”

"An engineer is someone who washes his hands before going to the toilet.”

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 16 Jan 2017, 10:36

Rod wrote:"An Engineer can build for a penny what any fool can build for a pound!"

“Any idiot can build a bridge that stands, but it takes an Engineer to build a bridge that barely stands.”

"An engineer is someone who washes his hands before going to the toilet.”

Rod

:D :D :D

Two engineering students were walking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, threw it to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."

The second engineer nodded approvingly and said, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fitted you anyway."

For any sensitive engineers, substitute "engineer" with "Accountant", "Attorney" etc.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 16 Jan 2017, 13:22

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is really good at making things that "barely stand" like Rod said, I like making things that can outlive me. We have very different approaches to making things. That being said I do enjoy working with him and he does tend to come up with some very novel solutions to problems. :eusa-clap:
Commander
Sapling

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP