It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:07

The Oak Blob - FINISHED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: The Oak Blob.

Postby Pinch » 07 Jan 2017, 16:56

Phil wrote:This model just might be the better option?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-WW2- ... 2790642676

8-)

Hey... you're now talking my language! And so cheap on my life already! :lol: :lol:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Oh darn... it was just the belt. :|
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 07 Jan 2017, 17:00

I guess I'm a typical blokey.

I've had to look 4-5 times to check exactly what they're selling. :eusa-doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 07 Jan 2017, 17:05

Pinch wrote:I guess I'm a typical blokey.

I've had to look 4-5 times to check exactly what they're selling. :eusa-doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Something like you can miss the wood for the trees? :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Commander » 10 Jan 2017, 18:41

:lol: This looks like an interesting one in the making Paul, however I do have to say what is it with you and derailed threads!?! :eusa-dance: :lol:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Pinch » 11 Jan 2017, 19:00

Commander wrote::lol: This looks like an interesting one in the making Paul, however I do have to say what is it with you and derailed threads!?! :eusa-dance: :lol:

Cheers Erich. Yes, I'm keen to make a start. Derailed Sir?! I didn't realise I have any derailed threads. I know I can push the boat out a bit at times, but I've never pushed a train off its rails! :shock: :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 15 Jan 2017, 12:12

Update:

Well, I planned a cool day for yesterday to work on The Oak Blob, but this didn't go to plan. :x

With Mrs P up in Newcastle for the weekend (picking her up from the airport later), I thought I would take the houndies with me to the shop with a big Cornish pasty to heat up and have for our lunch, meanwhile, make a start on my blob. Plus, a great place to give the houndies a walk within the farm grounds - all lovely jubbly and cushty!

I was however slightly restricted on time as I had to collect a repeat prescription in town and be back home by 3pm for a Tesco food delivery. Anyways, I was running a little bit behind schedule (my own fault) and thought I will be in-and-out of Boots very quickly - no probs! Then off to the shop, walk the houndies, light the fire and get the oven up to temp ready for our pasty - dandy! Meanwhile, start carving my small blobby project - sorted! 8-)

I parked on double yellows outside Boots with houndies in the back of the bus. You can get away with it in a commercial vehicle providing it isn't too long. I walked into Boots - big queue. :|

After about 10 minutes, the chap called me over...

Chap: "Can I help you Sir?"
Me: "Yes, I've come to pick up a repeat prescription." (He looked at me in anticipation...)
Me: "Oh sorry, you want my name?"
Chap: "That would be a good start." (Poor chap looked stressed)
Me: "Hmmm.. a hint of sarcasm." (He didn't flinch so I then gave him my surname)
The chap went off for a while and came back...
Chap: "Where and when did you order this prescription?"
Me: "Last Wednesday morning at the surgery."
Chap went off again and came back...
Chap: "What's you're surname again?"
So I told him again...
Chap disappeared for what seemed like 10 minutes.
Chap: "I found it but we don't have enough stock, come back in 45 minutes."
Me: " :x "

I couldn't hang around for 45 minutes, so I decided to go to the shop and cut the visit short to get back to Boots in time to get home for the Tesco food delivery - it wasn't looking good for some blobby work.

By the time we arrived at the shop, the time was 11:30am. I started the fire in the burner and then walked the houndies around the farm and Colin was misbehaving - little devil. We got back to the shop and the oven was warming up so in went the pasty. 12:30 - pasty was served and it was rather yummy! Houndies got their bits too and they enjoyed. I didn't give them any of my chocolate biscuit though.

Time was moving on and so I thought, we just as well head back to town, pick up my drugs and then head home with a stop on route for another walk with the houndies at one of our regular spots, and then back home in time for Tesco.

We arrived outside Boots again and I walked in and it was much quieter. A lady this time called me over...

Lady: "Can I help you?"
Me: "Yes, I've come to pick up a repeat prescription."
Lady: "Name." (This woman was already showing attitude) :|
Me: I gave her my name.
Lady: "You do realise we can't dispense prescriptions between 1 & 2pm?!" (The time was around 1:30pm) :x
Me: "I've already been here once today and I was sent away. I am not going away and coming back again today and I must have these drugs today......!" (The lady walked off as I was still talking... :evil: )
She came back: "How do you spell your name?"
Me: "P.....I.....N.....C....." (I was getting annoyed by this stage and was now showing attitude) :twisted:
Lady: ""When did you order this?"
Me: "Look, I've already been through this palaver with your colleague earlier today... I ordered them last Wednesday at the surgery and your bloke told me they will be ready in 45 minutes almost three hours ago. I expected to walk in this morning and simply pick them up, pay for them and be on my way to start work on my blobby project. You've had since Wednesday to prepare this order!!"
Lady: "Your what project?"
Me: "My blobby project."
Lady: "What's a blobby project?"
Me: "It's a chunk of oak I'm making into a blob to house my vaping implements."
Lady: She gave me a long gazy stare... "What medication are you taking again?"
Me: "Budesonide... for my dodgy ar...."
Lady: She interrupted me... "Yes, I know what they're for thank you."
She went off and came back quite quickly...
Lady: "Here you are, but there are only 87 capsules. The other 13 will be ready on Monday - thank you!"
She gave me a glimpse of a grin and walked off rather quickly.

I then payed for them and was out the door a bit sharpish.

On our way home, we stopped at Bullbarrow for another walk and eventually arrived home at 2:50pm - just in time for Tesco food delivery.

Within a couple of minutes of walking in, the phone rings...

Mrs P: "Hi darling, I'm just checking you're home for Tesco."
Me: "Hello sweetheart, yep, we've just got back."
Mrs P: "Did you have a nice time in the workshop?"
Me: "Absolutely spiffing... Tesco has just pulled up outside, chat later - love you."
Mrs P: "Okay, love you."

Awwwwww..... She's a gooden my missus. 8-)

So, no work on the blob as planned, but no worries, Rome wasn't built in a day.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 15 Jan 2017, 12:44

Sounds like a very typical day !

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jan 2017, 13:19

Haha. I had a similar day not long ago, blooming frustrating isn't it!

At least you're seeing the humorous side.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pinch » 15 Jan 2017, 14:59

Rod wrote:Sounds like a very typical day !

Rod

Indeed - I like days like that really. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 15 Jan 2017, 15:02

TrimTheKing wrote:Haha. I had a similar day not long ago, blooming frustrating isn't it!

At least you're seeing the humorous side.

Cheers
Mark

Yes, I wish I had a picture of the lady's face when I stitched 'my blobby project' into the conversation. It was nice to see she showed a tinge of a smile at the end. ;)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jan 2017, 23:15

Galton and Simpson couldn't have written that better! :lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jan 2017, 23:19

And not to hijack, I've not smoked a cigarette for 2 weeks now, and have not vaped a great deal either!! Fingers crossed!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 18 Jan 2017, 20:33

Malc2098 wrote:Galton and Simpson couldn't have written that better! :lol:

Cheers Malc 8-) I had to Google these chaps to find out who they are/were. Oh, thanks dear fellow - lovely compliment. I should write down more stories. I always normally see the funny side to most things and I should write these down - they makes I laugh they do. I'm always laughing to myself. :lol:
Last edited by Pinch on 18 Jan 2017, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 18 Jan 2017, 20:34

Malc2098 wrote:And not to hijack, I've not smoked a cigarette for 2 weeks now, and have not vaped a great deal either!! Fingers crossed!

Hey, my word! Well done matey!

I should be making a start on the blob tomorrow. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Jan 2017, 21:35

Pinch wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:And not to hijack, I've not smoked a cigarette for 2 weeks now, and have not vaped a great deal either!! Fingers crossed!

Hey, my word! Well done matey!

I should be making a start on the blob tomorrow. 8-)

Thanks! Looking forward to piccies of the Blob!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Commander » 19 Jan 2017, 07:53

Priceless update Paul! :lol: :lol:
Commander
Sapling

Postby Pinch » 21 Jan 2017, 16:13

Cheers Erich. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 21 Jan 2017, 16:22

Some inspiration ...

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 21 Jan 2017, 16:31

Ah ha... the blob. Nice one Rich. 8-)

I made a start on it yesterday afternoon. I haven't a clue how it's going to end up. I'm just chiselling (or hacking is probably more accurate) away here n there. It is sort of already looking blobbyfied.

I'm very excited. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 Jan 2017, 16:33

But fear not... I'm on the blob. :lol:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 23 Jan 2017, 05:37

How about some progress picies Paul? I'm dying to see how this "hacking" is progressing! :)
Commander
Sapling

Postby Pinch » 28 Jan 2017, 10:46

Cheers Erich - progress is poor chap. :|

I think something is trying to tell me something here. :x

I managed to spend an hour on the blob yesterday late afternoon... Long short of it... I have been Mrs P's chauffeur all week after she wrote off her car last Monday morning on the icy roads. Gladly, nobody was hurt nor was another car involved - just a large brick wall. The irony is, that weekend, we just made a provisional deal with a dealer to part-ex Mrs P's Megane for a yellow Mini Cooper. The Megane is now on the farm awaiting a clean up to get ready for a 'spares or repair' listing on ebay. We still made a deal with the Mini and collected it yesterday - Mrs P is absolutely over the moon - bless. 8-)

Today, I'm taking Mrs P to the airport (in the Mini - Maureen!) and tomorrow, I am concentrating the whole day to my online tax returns, so no blobby work this weekend either. :x

I have taken some piccies, so all is yet to be revealed. At present, it's looking a bit.... ummmm.... *! :lol:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 29 Jan 2017, 13:40

As a daily wearer... I'll be very keen to see a 'smoking' flat cap ... even though I don't smoke, unless I'm on fire of course (thankfully not often!)

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 03 Feb 2017, 19:32

Jimmy Mack wrote:As a daily wearer... I'll be very keen to see a 'smoking' flat cap ... even though I don't smoke, unless I'm on fire of course (thankfully not often!)

Jim

Hahha, me too Jim. I'm a hat collector with 2 feds, 2 panamas, 4 flats and several baseball jobbies. Like you, I wear a flat cap pretty much everyday. 8-)

That's a shame matey, I was very very tempted about carving a flat cap and then I made a start on the blob a while ago which is now finished - just about to post up.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Feb 2017, 20:22

Greetings Peeps! 8-)

The Oak Blob is now finished.

It has ended up reasonably blobby and I’m very pleased with the end result. I suppose there’s no real definition of a ‘blob’ other than it’s an irregular rounded or flat shaped substance or object. I think my blob has a touch of class about it - it’s sophisticated with optical illusions, fluidity and a practical purpose.

My brief was a ‘blob’ to house my vaping implements (or devices) and a cup of tea or pint of beer when I’m sat in my armchair watching the TV. Although I had a rough idea of the shape in my head, I had no idea of the finer detail until I started to carve away and then made it up as I went along.

The only electric machinery I used was the chop saw, the table saw and palm sander. I used the chop saw to rough cut its basic 2D circular shape, the table saw to rough cut a ledge (large rebate) for my cup of tea or pint glass and the palm sander for rough sanding where I could, using 80g down to 120g – from there, I finished by hand.

Here is the collection of hand tools I used to complete this work but not necessarily in this order, including; various chisels and gouges for carving and fine paring, smoothing plane, block plane and spoke shaves. I also used the scraper on some of the work.

Here’s the blob in its rough cut stage after the chop saw. One had to remain pretty focused with this task. :|

After running the work through the table saw, I didn’t take any more photos until the work was complete. But I did take a photo of the waste I produced while shaping, carving and finishing...

And finally, here is The Oak Blob all finished including a few imperfections. Some pictures are naked and some dressed with its attire of what it was designed to do.

The sweeping featured concave detail hasn’t been sanded – this has been left with all the remnants of gouge work on show. I have left all the natural variants including minor shakes and knots to their own accord. The finish is Ronseal Ultra Tough satin varnish – 3 coats; #1&2 thinned and #3 unthinned, with gentle 400g denibbing between coats and a very light brush over the top coat using a used 400g paper. The result is a smooth silky rich finish which will withstand heat and the occasional tiny spillage of beer.

From various angles...

I'm still not sure about the green baize in the pipe holder, but green is my favourite colour. 8-)

And also far down into the Aspire pen battery chamber.

Moving on...

I'll take the final photo later when I open my bar and the above pint glass is fully charged with Carling Black Label - lovely jubbly.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Mrs P believes I'm bonkers to get excited over such an object. She also believes my OCD is getting worse. :shock:

Whatever.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP