It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:25

Paslode IM350 Nail Gun

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Paslode IM350 Nail Gun

Postby spearos » 08 May 2017, 10:54

Just a really simple query really... I have just got myself one of the above and am now looking at getting myself some nails.

Genuine Paslode nails are around double the price of alternatives, is this money well spent? I've heard good things about 'Quikload' and 'Firmahold' however I have also read to stick to Paslode.

Anyone willing to give me the benefit of their experience? :?:
"the true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"
spearos
New Shoots

Name: Mark

Re: Paslode IM350 Nail Gun

Postby Jimmy Mack » 08 May 2017, 11:12

Not sure if it'll help, but I used a Hitachi NRG90 nailer over the last summer which uses the same 34 degree nails as the Paslode ...used a couple of different brands...the Fischer nails and gas were great. I suspect most leading brands will be fine.

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Merlin » 08 May 2017, 17:13

I do try to avoid using non Paslode nails as every time I have a problem with mine it seems to be down to the nails.
If I use genuine Paslode it will fire nearly every time and it is more reliable, winter is sometimes a bit of a pain but if you keep the gas warm its better.
Just try to pull the nails from a strip of genuine and non genuine and see the difference.

Merlin
Merlin
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Paul200 » 08 May 2017, 17:41

I used to own a small tool shop and after listening to the umpteenth complaint about the price of Paslode nails we did a lot of practical research (giving gas and nails free to tradesmen in exchange for feedback) and, long story short, found that Firmahold were the most reliable of the cheaper brands. I used them myself 2 years ago when I built a summerhouse and couldn't fault them. Having said that I totally agree with Merlin that there are degrees of quality involved - Paslode nails are not expensive just for the sake of it.

One thing you may want to check is how your warranty stands. If it's a new machine I'm pretty sure that Paslode won't honour their warranty if you use other brand nails and gas. Although how they can tell what you've used in it I don't know (unless you leave the alternatives in the gun, of course!).

Cheers

Paul
Paul200
Seedling

Name: Paul

Postby Harv-53 » 08 May 2017, 19:32

Merlin wrote:I do try to avoid using non Paslode nails as every time I have a problem with mine it seems to be down to the nails.
If I use genuine Paslode it will fire nearly every time and it is more reliable, winter is sometimes a bit of a pain but if you keep the gas warm its better.
Just try to pull the nails from a strip of genuine and non genuine and see the difference.

Merlin

I'm with Merlin
I only use genuine paslode nails, I've tried a few different brands and all problems come back to the nails and gas. Price is not to much of a issue for me as the customer always pays for the fixings,

Spearos
If your ever near to Leighton buzzard or Milton Keynes at any time let me know as I was given several boxs of paslode nails by a retiring colleague, they need new gas as it's all out of date, but your welcome to a box of 100mm if it helps
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby spearos » 09 May 2017, 08:24

Jimmy Mack wrote: I suspect most leading brands will be fine.

Good point there Jim - I had never heard of Firmahold or quikload before so perhaps if I decide to go non genuine, a known brand is the way to go. I've since seen Rawlplug nails, known brand and I like the fact they come in smaller box sizes (1100).

Merlin wrote:I do try to avoid using non Paslode nails as every time I have a problem with mine it seems to be down to the nails.

Merlin

Exactly the kind of story I've read countless times, and which makes me wary. The gun I've bought is second hand and the plan is to use it to build my workshop and then sell it on. I wont be using an awful lot of nails, with this is mind perhaps I should just go genuine.

Paul200 wrote:I used to own a small tool shop and after listening to the umpteenth complaint about the price of Paslode nails we did a lot of practical research (giving gas and nails free to tradesmen in exchange for feedback) and, long story short, found that Firmahold were the most reliable of the cheaper brands. I used them myself 2 years ago when I built a summerhouse and couldn't fault them. Having said that I totally agree with Merlin that there are degrees of quality involved - Paslode nails are not expensive just for the sake of it.

One thing you may want to check is how your warranty stands. If it's a new machine I'm pretty sure that Paslode won't honour their warranty if you use other brand nails and gas. Although how they can tell what you've used in it I don't know (unless you leave the alternatives in the gun, of course!).

Cheers

Paul

Exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear - thank you Paul! So that seals the deal, if I go non genuine, Firmahold is the way to go. Incidentally Firmahold have good reviews on Amazon.
spearos
New Shoots

Postby spearos » 09 May 2017, 08:27

Harv-53 wrote:
Spearos
If your ever near to Leighton buzzard or Milton Keynes at any time let me know as I was given several boxs of paslode nails by a retiring colleague, they need new gas as it's all out of date, but your welcome to a box of 100mm if it helps

Incredibly generous offer there Harv, appreciated. I cannot foresee being in that area any time soon but I will keep you in mind. One thing though you mention 100mm nails, however I understand the Paslode 350 has a capacity of up to 90mm so not quite sure they're be ok?
spearos
New Shoots

Postby Harv-53 » 09 May 2017, 16:54

My mistake Spearos, they are 90mm. My brain lets me down frequently,
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby MJ80 » 09 May 2017, 19:16

I've used the Rawlplug nails quite a lot and they haven't given me any trouble. If the gun is second hand give it a service, it doesn't take long to clean it and put it back together, I also keep one of the batteries on charge when I am going because they can take a while to charge and invariably the one in the gunalways runs out before the other is ready
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery