It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:37

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch-on-a-porch 2)

Postby Pinch » 04 Sep 2017, 19:40

Superb work Mike. I wouldn't even worry about those holes slightly off kilt - if anyone notices and asks, tell them it's your signature. ;)

A question chap... Are you tiling the canopy porch, if so, do you have enough room for a ridge tile to tuck in under the ridge beam of the main porch? Are you dressing lead as well - maybe soakers? I can't remember how it's done with oak framed... is it soakers and 'something else' if using plain tiles?

You could always make a really nice fancy oak Tudor barge board or a nice under cloak profile (can't remember what they're called) for both porches if the holes bother you. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 20:12

Thanks Paul, appreciated.

There won't be any barge-boards. I'm keeping this simple. If I decide to cover it up it will be with a little carved something or other. I popped the roof on the canopy today, and there is loads of room for the ridge tiles, but your question about waterproofing the junction with with walls is perceptive. Yes, there'll be
lead soakers, but I am also going to do a render fillet, in the old-fashioned way. I might even set some cut tiles in it. However, the soakers won't work on the canopy roof where the roof crosses the oak tie beam/ door head. I'll either have to cut a slit into that for a cover flashing, or rely on the render fillet, and maybe a dollop of silicon.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mjdewet » 05 Sep 2017, 15:10

Wow, wow, wow, is all I can say!

Mike, please do keep us some good weather, as we'll be leaving for your fair coast for a visit to our children and grand-kids near St Albans, and also Bristol.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
mjdewet
Seedling

Name: Thys de Wet

Postby Mike G » 05 Sep 2017, 17:22

It's not special, Thys. It's not too bad, but this isn't high summer, you know.

St Albans is 90 minutes away, I reckon. If you've got any spare time........
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Porch-on-a-porch 3)

Postby Mike G » 05 Sep 2017, 19:45

I made 2 more pairs of rafters. The free standing ones have a bridle joint at the top, but the ones planted on the face of the porch have a halving joint (lap joint):

Once everything was pegged, I could proceed to battens. I did the slate undercloak at the same time. I am not felting this roof. You'll be able to look up and see the underside of the tiles:

The whole point of building the porch now was so that I could get the render carrier board on and the render done before winter arrives. Once I sorted the membrane out, I did the boards up the roof junction with the wall, some window surrounds, and then some battens above:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 07 Sep 2017, 19:09

Beautiful. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby StevieB » 07 Sep 2017, 22:17

Will you be doing the rendering yourself Mike? Plastering is the one job I definitely have no skill in and will happily pay for someone else to do - anything else I am happy to give it a go!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Sep 2017, 07:15

I'll probably do the rendering of the panels between the posts of the porch. You can hardly go wrong on such small areas. I won't be doing the front of the house. I am getting more confident with plastering, and even tackled (pretty successfully) the ceiling of the study, so I'll be doing most (if not all) of the rest of the plastering inside. The front of the house, though, isn't an area for an amateur!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby riclepp » 08 Sep 2017, 09:43

Absolutely outstanding work Mike. I bet a lot of your neighbours are very jealous, as well as they might be. :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Postby Mike G » 08 Sep 2017, 09:53

Thanks Richard. Well, we don't really have neighbours......

BTW, we live about 3 miles apart. How is it we've never met?
Last edited by Mike G on 08 Sep 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Sep 2017, 10:10

Having hijacked your thread earlier, I was forgetting my manners.

Super work, Mike, and so pleasing on the eye.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 10 Sep 2017, 11:18

Excellent work Mike :eusa-clap:

Love that Oak.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (window surrounds etc)

Postby Mike G » 12 Sep 2017, 20:49

The whole point of building the porch was so that I could prepare the house for rendering. To that end, I ran 3 rows of tiles (and associated lead soakers) each side of the roof alongside the house, and then mortared in the first of the ridge tiles. As I will be sitting scaffold boards on the roof for the rendering (called plastering everywhere but the UK, I think) I didn't want to tile the whole roof:

You'll note in those photos that I also put a vertical batten at each stud location, and fixed 4x1s either side of the windows, 3x1s above, and generally 2x1s below. I am now ready to tackle the window surrounds.

Because I am using render carrier boards, which are 15mm thick, rather than laths or "wire" (EML = expanded metal lath), which are much thinner, I need a little more thickness in the architraves around the windows than I was planning. To this end, I set up my planer in such a way as to be able to run long rebates in ex 75x19 PAR, then glued it to the architrave:

That gained me about 9mm in thickness, which should be about spot on. After fitting all the cills, I tackled the windows under the eaves first. Before, then after:

These three windows are done differently from all the others on the house, because they are tight up under the eaves. I ran the architrave around 3 sides. All the other windows will have a pentice board, which is a traditional local feature, simply a sloping board above the window head which keeps the top of the window dry. Here is an example:

I have always made these such that they can be removed and replaced even once the building is rendered. The fixings are on show underneath, so you would simply undo the screws and slide the board out. This is because the pentice board is highly vulnerable, and will be the first part of the exterior of the house to rot. So in 20 or 30 years time, or whenever, the can be replaced easily.

Here is the same window with its architraves in position:

And this is how the render carrier board will butt up to the sides of the window architrave:

The theory is that the render will be about 12mm thick. I reckon there is about 18 or 20mm of exposed architrave, which gives us a nice edge to finish against.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Sep 2017, 21:00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 13 Sep 2017, 07:42

Do I remember correctly? Will those pentice boards will be covered in lead as well?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2017, 07:47

I've changed my mind on that Andy. Lead over pentice boards is a later repair, normally. I am just going to put some DPC over the junction and dressed up behind the render carrier board, which won't show through the render. It will take any moisture that gets through the render back to the outside at the window heads.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 13 Sep 2017, 09:53

I wasn't reading wondering how you'd be able to repair or replace, then you explained! I have a partially rendered wall which for whatever reason was rendered over at some point. Awful job sealing in a cupoboad door frame which has of course rotted and will not be a simple job.

Will the architraves give a long life span when painted all round? Looks like standard pine, why not oak?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Sep 2017, 10:15

Mike when that render carrier is fitted and rendered will it be man enough to lean a ladder on for access? I've often wondered about this when external insulation is used on buildings.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2017, 10:44

Yes, it's tough stuff is lime render. Not quite as strong as concrete, but not far off.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2017, 10:46

MattS wrote:.....Will the architraves give a long life span when painted all round? Looks like standard pine, why not oak?

They're less vulnerable than the pentice boards, but again, they won't last forever. The micro-porous paint is marvellous stuff, though, so I expect they'll last quite a while, and then when they need replacing, they can just be prised off.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (render carrier boarding 1

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2017, 18:47

The Savolit Plus render carrier boards were delivered ahead of schedule this morning, so I got on and fitted a few. There were some bits and pieces to finish off first, and another coat of paint to do on the pentice boards and architraves. For access to the southern gable, here is my mobile scaffold:

I have to park it so close to the house that I shuffle across and climb out of the passenger seat. For any further work, I'll put another board or two up on the roofrack. Anyway, as a reminder, here is a "before" photo:

Then progress today:

This close up shows the load-spreading washers (stainless steel screws for lime, which eats anything else). It also shows that the insulation bulges the breather paper in some places so much that it touches the back of the Savolit boards:

The fix isn't difficult. Just push some battens in behind the boards:

Bingo, we have a proper gap, and airflow. The technical info from the manufacturer says that with the right number of fixings per board, and with full edge gluing (which I'll be doing .......I've left the appropriate gaps), that the ends of the boards don't need to meet on a batten. I ignored that, and made sure that all joins were fully supported. I was pleasantly surprised by how firm this substrate is. It easily took the weight of a ladder leaning against it, and that is prior to gluing.

The plasterer can't come next week, but so long as the weather stays something like he should be able to come the week after, and finally, after so long, the house will start to look a little finished.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 14 Sep 2017, 19:28

Are you going to use the same system on the newer part of the house.....you haven't shown many pictures of the new part recently but I seem to remember it has a man-made board as the outer layer already.

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2017, 19:32

Yes, Ian, I will. The plasterer suggested I get one part completely ready in case he gets the chance to come earlier, so I'll focus on the front (old) part of the house until it's done, then do what I can around the back, albeit all my scaffolding will be tied up at the front. For various reasons, there is a lot more render on the old part of the house than the new, but we'll get to that once I start reporting on that work next week sometime.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 14 Sep 2017, 21:22

You've made some fantastic progress Mike since I last commented. The porch look great and it good to see the house getting weather tight before we head into winter. The roof is going to be coming off my house as we head into winter!
I have a question regarding the architraves around the windows. Is that a local architectural feature as I don't recall ever seeing them externally anywhere before?

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2017, 21:34

Yep, it's common in local vernacular here. Sometimes plainer profiles are used. It's driven by the render. It is difficult to get a weathertight gap between render and window in a timber framed building, due to movement, so no doubt someone got fed up with filling such a gap every year and just plonked a board over it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP