It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:36

Bob has only gone and finished those Barrister bookcases!!

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Bob has only gone and finished those Barrister bookcases!!

Postby 9fingers » 01 Jan 2018, 13:14

I don't like to rush things but even for me this has been a long project.

Back in January 15 I was starting to think about sources for the hardware here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=764&p=8510
And yesterday - just still in 2017, I completed the project. Nearly 3 years. :shock:

There are three stacks of either bookcases or other items made in the same style. These are all in our lounge which faces west and the stacks are against the north, south and east walls. North and south are stacks of 5 barrister bookcases. Each stack is 1150mm overall width.

lounge furniture 013.jpg
(247.7 KiB)

This is the south stack, two extra height units at the base and 3 standard ones on top.

lounge furniture 012.jpg
(228.02 KiB)

The north stack is shorter with 5 standard units as it has to fit under the air conditioner/ASHP and not interfere with the air flow.

lounge furniture 007.jpg
(241.92 KiB)

The East stack is where the non standard items are.

Bottom left is the TV unit, the front of which is angled out at 30 degrees.

lounge furniture 003.jpg
(302.21 KiB)

under the TV the central unit hold the PVR and audio amp behind a smaller glazed "up and over" door.

lounge furniture 004.jpg
(251.54 KiB)

To either side are matching doors to give access to power plugs and to assist with routing of cables. Unlike all other items, this unit is backless to allow ventilation for the electronics.

lounge furniture 006.jpg
(302.63 KiB)

Bottom right is the booze cupboard. A glass shelf on the bottom to protect the base and three further glass shelves supported on tonk strips.

lounge furniture 005.jpg
(258.07 KiB)

Above the cupboard is a standard height unit, but fitted with two drawers for "stuff". Ever since SWMBO decreed that the nursery bedroom should become a home office, we have had to go upstairs to fetch stamps, sellotape scissors etc. These will now be where we need and use them!

The remaining 3 units are standard height bookcases currently with Xmas cards and family mugshots on display.

All the units in this double width stack are 850mm wide externally.

And there is more!

lounge furniture 011.jpg
(276.08 KiB)

The other new item of furniture specified by SWMBO is the coffee table with two slide out occasional tables

lounge furniture 009.jpg
(237.03 KiB)

lounge furniture 008.jpg
(289.86 KiB)

Each table has a feature panel of red oak veneer on MRMDF core with a balancing veneer on the underside and topped with glass.

lounge furniture 010.jpg
(249.4 KiB)

The main table has shallow drawers at each end to house coasters etc and knobs to match the bookcases.

lounge furniture 001.jpg
(338.61 KiB)

The drawer fronts and end aprons have been cut from the same piece of wood to match the grain.
Although not very easy to see, when stored, the small tables legs are raised 5mm off the carpet by being suspended by the underside of the table top that slides on felt covered runners.

lounge furniture 002.jpg
(185.54 KiB)

The runners are tapered at the end to start the lifting process. So you simply place a small table roughly in position and push towards the main table. Side tapers centralise the table and the runner lifts the leading edge thus removing the friction caused by the leading two legs. Just over half way in, the trailing two legs also lift off the carpet and it glides in on the felt as smoothly as you like.

I'd like to thank everyone who has chipped in with ideas and comment throughout the project. Big thank-yous to Rob who cut the veneers for me on his humongous bandsaw and to my mate Stu who saved me huge amounts of time and errors by cutting the enormous quantity of veneered MDF (10 sheets IIRC) on his CNC router and to Anita his good lady who ordered all the other timber used for me.

A quick plug for Forsyth Glazing who supplied all the glass at far far lower prices than anyone else I found and drove it down from Glasgow for a very modest £20 per order.

Finally thanks for reading and hopefully not getting too bored with this project.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Bob has only gone and finished those Barrister bookcases

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Jan 2018, 13:31

Nice. Really nice.

I especially like the collection of liqueurs. :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 01 Jan 2018, 14:41

Excellent Bob. I am liking the new carpet too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 01 Jan 2018, 16:03

Great work Bob - looks terrific.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Phil » 01 Jan 2018, 16:05

Nice work Bob, looks great.

:eusa-clap:

:text-bravo:

:text-goodpost:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Jan 2018, 16:09

Excellent stuff Bob :text-bravo: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Jan 2018, 18:35

Wow you have been busy, Bob. I like a bit of honest-to-goodness oak furniture. What's the story with the white drawer interiors?

Disappointed you didn't incorporate some robotics into the TV cabinet, though. Push-of-a-button and the TV appears out of a haze of smoke........that sort of thing. I've been absolutely polaxed since Boxing Day by the most god-awful bug I've had in many a long year, and though I've felt barely strong enough to hold a pencil, I sketched out a disappearing TV a day or two back. For fun, though, I'm contemplating having an oak and brass "ship's wheel" mounted front-and-centre of the unit, which spins to pop the TV up or down. I must make sure no-one sees the drawing until its built: it's the sort of thing which gets vetoed!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Jan 2018, 21:42

Very nice Bob. Glad to see someone who takes their time and does a job properly regardless of how long it might take, like me with my workshop.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Jan 2018, 22:04

TrimTheKing wrote:...regardless of how long it might take, like me with my workshop.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The dinosaurs could have come and gone in the time it's taken you to build your 'shop :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 01 Jan 2018, 23:39

Mike G wrote:Wow you have been busy, Bob. I like a bit of honest-to-goodness oak furniture. What's the story with the white drawer interiors?

Disappointed you didn't incorporate some robotics into the TV cabinet, though. Push-of-a-button and the TV appears out of a haze of smoke........that sort of thing. I've been absolutely polaxed since Boxing Day by the most god-awful bug I've had in many a long year, and though I've felt barely strong enough to hold a pencil, I sketched out a disappearing TV a day or two back. For fun, though, I'm contemplating having an oak and brass "ship's wheel" mounted front-and-centre of the unit, which spins to pop the TV up or down. I must make sure no-one sees the drawing until its built: it's the sort of thing which gets vetoed!

Thanks Mike.
Actually it is ash with an oak stain as I particularly wanted plenty of grain interest without having to pick over the boards. The only bits of oak are the red oak table infill panels.
The white drawer interiors were to Mrs specification.

We did not want a hideaway TV and there would not have been room to house it without losing one of the bookcase units. Mrs watches a lot of TV as she dozes in her chair most afternoons and evenings. She is usually quite tired after a morning of gentle activity. We do have remote control of the volume to cover the snoring involving a motorised volume knob on the amplifier so a bit of robotics there for you.

Remote control of lighting and the heating via Quinetic modules and the curtains are automatic too.
In season the xmas decs throughout the house are also remote controlled from her chair side.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby kirkpoore1 » 01 Jan 2018, 23:55

Bob, this was worth the wait. I know you've posted most of this, but I completely missed anything on the tables. It's all really nice.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Rod » 02 Jan 2018, 00:23

Very nice work Bob

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 02 Jan 2018, 11:13

Crikey,that's a fantastic furniture package !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jan 2018, 11:39

kirkpoore1 wrote:Bob, this was worth the wait. I know you've posted most of this, but I completely missed anything on the tables. It's all really nice.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk,
You did not miss a WIP on the tables. I was lazy and did not write it up. :oops:

Way back I did post on here seeking ideas for nesting tables and embarked on a prototype lift mechanism which failed so I did not write that up either. When I did get round to starting to cut wood, I considered that I was not really doing anything worthy of writing up and so did not take photos. The prepared timber had it's joints cut and hung around in a stack for months whilst life got in the way and I hardly entered the workshop.
The work on the tops in terms of the veneering did appear here http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... 13&p=39835 and once I had built my vacuum pump unit - largely copied from Robert's work - continued here http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... 90&p=45022

The finishing was very much along the lines used on the book cases ie medium oak spirit stain and thinned PU varnish for protection without that high build look from undiluted PU that I dislike so much.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Jan 2018, 14:49

9fingers wrote:....and thinned PU varnish for protection without that high build look from undiluted PU that I dislike so much.

Bob

Agreed about the undiluted PU finishes, especially gloss, which is hideous but on the next project why don't you try some satin or even matt finish Osmo? Fantastic stuff and is as tuff as old boots; it also goes a very long way. Needs thinning though as it's a bit gloopy straight out the tin - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jan 2018, 16:03

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:....and thinned PU varnish for protection without that high build look from undiluted PU that I dislike so much.

Bob

Agreed about the undiluted PU finishes, especially gloss, which is hideous but on the next project why don't you try some satin or even matt finish Osmo? Fantastic stuff and is as tuff as old boots; it also goes a very long way. Needs thinning though as it's a bit gloopy straight out the tin - Rob

I bought 2.5l of Rustins satin PU at the beginning of the project and when diluted, made about 3.75-4L of ready to use. That quantity has done the whole project and I still have around a litre remaining. Once that is getting low, I will try some Osmo as I've seen your work using it and it looks very good indeed.

I also used about 3.25 litres of Rustins med oak wood dye, much more than I thought I'd get through. I should have got a 2.5 litre tin at the beginning instead of 4 x 1 litre as I went along. Amazng where it all goes!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby fiveeyes » 03 Jan 2018, 01:44

Looks good sir..quality takes time ;)
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 03 Jan 2018, 12:10

Very impressive Bob, not too dark either which is always my worry putting lots of furniture in a room.

Agree with Forsyth Glazing, after you mentioned them in another thread I ordered some more glass shelves and the service was excellent.

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Return to Projects & WIP