It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:58

stand/enclosure for electric piano

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

stand/enclosure for electric piano

Postby Halo Jones » 14 Dec 2017, 14:04

For my FILs 70th in September we bought him an electric piano/organ. My wife wasn't entirely happy as it was just a standard plastic box type keyboard and didn't really fit in with the rest of his furniture. I was therefore "commissioned" to make a stand/enclosure for it. A bit nervous because this is my first crack at a proper piece of furniture. It looks like it might just about be working out so I am daring to post a WIP. Also nervous about this as despite following this and other woodworking forums since approx 2010 this is my first WIP!

Looking at lots of stands for electric pianos we decided that we would use this as our inspiration - the Roland Kiyola:

I am not doing anything quite as ambitious but it is the inspiration.

Started with some sketches before moving onto a full size drawing - using my children's lego to work out where the hinge for the top needed to be!

Then I made a cut list:

Before heading to the timber yard. I have used this timber yard before but always placed an order and just picked up. I was advised this time that I should just turn up and choose my timber. I was a bit overwhelmed to be honest but I was left to my own devices and after 90 mins I loaded the car and ended up with:

I rough cut this:

Finding all the defects that I hadn't spotted at the yard and started worrying that I didn't have enough timber:
but there was some nice quarter sawn pieces.

I then set about prepping all the timber with so much enthusiasm that I I completely filled the CamVac and killed one of the motors :cry: . Anyhoo, I was left with:

More to follow!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: stand/enclosure for electric piano

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Dec 2017, 15:03

Can't wait!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 14 Dec 2017, 16:02

Great, picking is part of the fun, if you can stay relaxed and not feel pressure from the yard staff, that's a bonus too. A big supplier north of me charges 10% for selecting, it's written on a big dirty sign, which is unnecessary and not very customer friendly imo... Feels like a dig at the little guy.... Though there are more little guys than big ones

I've killed a couple of vacs, usually over capacity, I think you're suppose to empty them when they're two thirds full you should be able to pick up a new motor from Numatic or another for around 50 quid. The manufacturer will mark up.

I digress...

Bravo, keep the pictures coming

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

stand/enclosure for electric piano - HELP! - I've got the sh

Postby Halo Jones » 29 Dec 2017, 21:24

Sorry for the lack of updates. Turning the house from a building site to something we could host Christmas in took longer than I ever thought possible.

Before I continue with the wip I was hoping for some emergency advice. The side panels / leg assembly has been glued up for 4-5 weeks and had been sanded to 240 etc ready for finishing. I went to look at them today to reference a part for the top and two of the legs have developed shakes - both on the show face :eusa-doh:

The wood from the legs came from a 100 x 100 mm oak, already dressed. Moisture content was 7-8%. This was split into 4 of 50 x 50 leg blanks before all the joinery took place the wood that was on the cut faces were reading 8-9% so I thought they would be stable enough.

How / when should I fix these? Do I let the shakes develop until I don't see any more movement? Then do I epoxy resin the shakes or use a colour matching wax?

Help more than welcome!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 29 Dec 2017, 23:14

Personally I'd use titebond 3 on the shakes. Glue the shake and leave it for a minute or so to work it's way down, then have a series of clamps and blocks of wood to squeeze it tight. I've been known to use an airline to force the glue deeper before.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 10 Jan 2018, 14:40

So, on with the show. I thought I had taken lots of pictures when building but apparently not. Sorry if things jump about a bit.

The first step was marking out all the joinery and making all the mortices, followed by tapering the legs. This meant making a tapering jig. It worked but the hold down clamps were a little undersized - when I opened the package I felt like I was in the scene of This is Spinal Tap when their stone henge arrives :lol:

The end panels were then made and assembled, and a dry fit of the long rails.

The top is sloped so the end panels were cut to the correct angle and the some internal components were added The lower piece is what the piano actually sits on and the upper piece is for the lid to sit on when open.

Checking that everything fits:

The next stage was to fit the top properly and install the piano hinges.

and a finally dry fit before finishing everything:

Finished piece (Not the best photos):

Luckily my FIL believes in the 12 days of Christmas as this was delivered on the 12th day! Only the end panels are glued at the moment as it's final resting place will be in the south of France where my FIL spends 4-5 months of every year warming his bones.

There are lots of little flaws but overall I am pleased how it turned out (actually I am really chuffed I managed to finish it!). I think LOML is also a little impressed as she has conceded I can build a few more items for the house :D
Last edited by Halo Jones on 10 Jan 2018, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2018, 15:03

Very nice job and thanks for the detailed WIP. Now..remember. This is the best moment you have to convince her that to do the next item requires a new TOOL

Or even several. Remember when negotiating. Go in high and ask for lots of them. Then agree to reduce the number down to the one you really want
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 10 Jan 2018, 15:34

Thanks Roger.

It is a bigger workshop that I really need. Or more precisely I need to get all the non-workshop stuff out of my workshop! One of our more regular spats is that the workshop is not a workshop but a storage shed. I always get a withering look when friends ask to see my workshop :lol:
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Jan 2018, 15:36

Nicely done after a tricky start with those shakes. What did you do about them in the end?

Have I got this right. It can be flat packed for sending to France? Will you be going with it to reassemble?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Halo Jones » 10 Jan 2018, 16:01

Nicely done after a tricky start with those shakes. What did you do about them in the end?

The shakes only appeared several weeks after all that joinery had been cut. Fortunately the worst one was on the back leg at the side which will be nearest the wall and least likely seen so that was glued and I will hope for the best. While the shake on the front is long it is not very deep and with the finish on it is not too noticeable. Given the rustic look of some of the other furniture in the house it will fit in fine :D I used hide glue throughout so if it comes to the worst I will be able to make a new one and replace it.

It can be flat packed for sending to France? Will you be going with it to reassemble?

My FIL is driving down this easter. It will go down flat pack and either he can glue it himself or I will do it when we invade for a month in the summer.

I am rather surprised at how stable it is without gluing but it wants to sit slightly out of square without glue. All it needs is a very little tweak with a diagonal clamp and all is perfectly aligned so should be easy to glue up.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2018, 16:17

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 10 Jan 2018, 18:40

Yes very nice and you get extra points for the Spinal Tap reference, does the keyboard go up to eleven by any chance?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Halo Jones » 10 Jan 2018, 22:26

does the keyboard go up to eleven by any chance?

That would be fun! FIL is an ex church organist so he definitely appreaciates loud!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP