It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:24

Routing advice required

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Routing advice required

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Jan 2018, 05:11

Good morning/middle of the night,

I am looking for some advice on routing with a Trend T11EK. My daughter wanted me to make 'bridges' for her, so I have laminated 6 strips of 3.6mm ply together around a steel former. The resulting shape is 900mm long by 300mm wide and about 22mm thick. The radius is about 200mm. I want to try and roundover the edges. I don't have a router table but could potentially get access to one.

Can anyone suggest how I could do this? My router was an impulse purchase - at £100 new!

Thanks,
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Routing advice required

Postby DaveL » 08 Jan 2018, 09:35

Any chance you could post a picture of the laminated ply? I am have difficulty picturing the job.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 08 Jan 2018, 09:37

MR, I would do it on the router table, easier and safer.
(Build one, a good longterm investment)

You could also do freehand.

Use a roundover bit with a bearing.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Jan 2018, 10:23

Thanks for the replies so far. Attached should be a couple of photos.
Attachments
20180108_092219.jpg
(399.48 KiB)
20180108_091914.jpg
(382.13 KiB)
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 08 Jan 2018, 11:47

Intriguing- what are they for?
How much rounding off do you want to achieve? If it’s just easing the edges then sand/glass paper should do.
If you need to use the router, a table is much safer making sure you cut in the correct direction.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 08 Jan 2018, 11:57

You mention the router was an impulse purchase but you don't say if you have cutters for it.
You will need a round over cutter which has the radius you want. It will have a a bearing on the tip that will run along the wood to control the sideways cut. You set the depth of cut with the plunge stop on the router. Apologies if stating the obvious but from the question I'm taking it you are new to this.

You could buy a cheap set of cutters in a box or a quality single cutter for around the same money. The set will have things you will never use but can be ok to learn with. Any cutter can break if you cut too heavy with it so be more cautious with cheap ones.

The cutter will follow the edge so you want the edge straight and smooth before you start.

The router in a table would be easier to control - the router stays still and you move the wood but your job looks do-able without one.

Good luck.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2018, 14:24

You could make a very basic but simple router 'table' by getting a piece of ply or MDF about 2-3 x the size of your router base. Drill one hole in it that is large enough for your cutter to go through. Then two more smaller holes that correspond to the two holes on the router base...the ones used for screwing in bearing guides. Fix the router, turn the whole lot upside down and fix the ply/MDF to you bench or something solid. Adjust the plunge depth until the router cutter is sticking out enough.

Lot easier than freehand.

Bit like this

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Jan 2018, 20:10

Again, thank you all for the replies; a router was one of the tools I thought I would buy when I had a specific need, as they seemed to be a bit pricey, however, when I saw the Trend one at that price I didn't hesitate. As I am not carting it about to jobs it can stay in my workshop on a table (when I get/build one).

Rod - they are a Waldorf/Steiner education inspired 'toy'. The next project is a Pickler Triangle. The emphasis is on basic, wooden toys and leave the rest up to the kids, rather than plastic fantastic that does everything/makes every noise; so the kids don't have to use their imagination. That's the thought anyway!

I am looking for likes of a bullnose if i can but if not, a pencil roundover would be fine.

Robert - I am happy using most power tools safely however, the router is a new one on me. I don't want to end up like a relative of mine - missing two fingers :eusa-dance: ! I might splash out and go for one decent cutter I think. I had a look at sets and there are a lot that would never see the light of day.

RogerS - I will try giving something like this a go, but only if I can do a proper job of it as I don't want to get it wrong.

Does anyone have links to, or plans for a sturdy home made router table?

Thank you again,
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jan 2018, 21:20

A popular router table is the one built by Norm Abram in the new yankee workshop programme.
There will be a copy of the programme on youtube and somewhere I should have a copy of the plans.

PM me your email address and I'll see if I can find them.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil » 09 Jan 2018, 07:28

This was built based on a number of plans and then modified to what was available in the workshop.

http://abc4tt.servetown.com/RouterTable.html

9fingers wrote:A popular router table is the one built by Norm Abram in the new yankee workshop programme.
There will be a copy of the programme on youtube and somewhere I should have a copy of the plans.
PM me your email address and I'll see if I can find them.
Bob

Bob I found my copy of "The New Yankee" plans Deluxe Router Station by Norm, so don't dig too deeply. MR can get them from me as well.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby mabazza ritchie » 09 Jan 2018, 10:53

Bob - thank you for the offer of the plans, to save you time hunting for them I have PM'd Phil with my email and will hopefully get them from him.

I need to sort out a decent table saw and feed table so i can then start making home made jigs/router table etc to make all these things much easier. I am currently using one of the discount brand table saws which i think is made from tinfoil or a tinfoil cardboard mix.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 09 Jan 2018, 10:58

mabazza ritchie wrote:Bob - thank you for the offer of the plans, to save you time hunting for them I have PM'd Phil with my email and will hopefully get them from him.

I need to sort out a decent table saw and feed table so i can then start making home made jigs/router table etc to make all these things much easier. I am currently using one of the discount brand table saws which i think is made from tinfoil or a tinfoil cardboard mix.

OK no worries. I used to use a stand alone router table but it took up precious space. I now have moved my fixed router into the outfeed table on the table saw and found it a big advantage.

HTH
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 09 Jan 2018, 12:03

Yup...routers can be mounted usefully just about anywhere.

This secondhand Festool MFT (multifunction table) was my first workbench. Then modified to take a router. Angle iron underneath kept the top straight and not bow under the weight of the Triton.

One thing to bear in mind with router tables is how easy is it to change the cutter. Can you wind everything up high enough to clear the table top or do you have to change the cutter underneath.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 10 Jan 2018, 19:59

RogerS - that is something I had never considered; how the router bit changes. I made the assumption that they would all be able to change from the top. Thanks for that!
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Routing advice required

Postby Rod » 11 Jan 2018, 00:42

I’ve got a RouterRaizer on mine, a lot cheaper than a router lift.
On my WoodRat I use an Extreme Extension.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2018, 08:32

Rod wrote:I’ve got a RouterRaizer on mine, a lot cheaper than a router lift.

Rod

A car scissor jack also works very well and is cheap.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 11 Jan 2018, 14:48

So to all those who posted, thanks for the help! I think I need to practice using the router a bit more! ;) but the job is done now. I'm looking forward to attempting to build my router table!
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 11 Jan 2018, 15:15

RogerS wrote:
Rod wrote:I’ve got a RouterRaizer on mine, a lot cheaper than a router lift.

Rod

A car scissor jack also works very well and is cheap.

I have read about it, but scrooge would not buy one.
Scrooge also said that the very nice, with adjustable, top plates are not on the purchase horizon.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby PetePenman » 03 Mar 2020, 08:20

9fingers wrote:A popular router table is the one built by Norm Abram in the new yankee workshop programme.
Bob

As an alternative, but similar plan, I can recommend also the plan from http://www.crestonwood.com/plans.php which is free.
I have built two router tables based on these plans and they worked out very well and I'm completely satisfied with them.
PetePenman
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Mar 2020, 10:19

You don't need plans for a router table. It's a board with a hole in it, a router fixed to the underside, and a fence. The fence can be pivoted at one end. Goodness knows why this really simple arrangement is so over-thought.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PetePenman » 03 Mar 2020, 15:47

Mike G wrote:You don't need plans for a router table. It's a board with a hole in it, a router fixed to the underside, and a fence. The fence can be pivoted at one end. Goodness knows why this really simple arrangement is so over-thought.

We wouldn't advance much if we applied such basic logic to everything.

That 'bodge up' arrangement would certainly not suit what I use a router table for.
PetePenman
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Mar 2020, 17:24

PetePenman wrote:
Mike G wrote:You don't need plans for a router table. It's a board with a hole in it, a router fixed to the underside, and a fence. The fence can be pivoted at one end. Goodness knows why this really simple arrangement is so over-thought.

That 'bodge up' arrangement would certainly not suit what I use a router table for.

That's fighting talk; tin hats n'flak jackets! :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Mar 2020, 17:31

PetePenman wrote:

Bodge-up. Hmmm.

Here's one of mine:

I'd be really interested to hear what your router table can do that mine can't, and where you think there is any difference in the accuracy in X, Y or Z axes.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 03 Mar 2020, 19:07

That looks very serviceable Mike. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 04 Mar 2020, 11:41

This was built based on a number of plans and then modified to what was available in the workshop.

http://abc4tt.servetown.com/RouterTable.html

Phil, I hate to report it, but this link (when opened) came with a free Trojan. My anti-virus quarantined it, so no harm done, but looks like some human predator has taken advantage of your helpful comment.

Sam

EDIT:
As an alternative, but similar plan, I can recommend also the plan from http://www.crestonwood.com/plans.php which is free.
I have built two router tables based on these plans and they worked out very well and I'm completely satisfied with them.

Bullwarks!! So did this one! Mark, have your servers been nobbled?? :o S.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Next

Return to Tips & Tutorials