It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:17

Sketchup Make kinda discontinued..

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Sketchup Make kinda discontinued..

Postby Robert » 09 Apr 2018, 16:25

I've built myself a new PC and am adding software back on as I need it.

Just came to download the latest free version of sketchup. They seem to want you to use a version that does not install and just runs in your web browser.

Searching with google it seems make 2017 is as far as it will go for an installable version. No updates. If you want the latest you have to create a Trimble account and use the web version.

I couldn't find a link to the downloads page on the sketchup site just pro and web not make but came across it elsewhere - https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

So if you don't have sketchup and want the install version maybe time to grab it.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Sketchup Make kinda discontinued..

Postby 4ndy » 13 Apr 2018, 11:23

Thanks Robert - downloaded and saved for future use!
Online versions are great if you have a connection, but some of us do go offline sometimes! :lol:
It might not be broken, but it will be by the time I've finished with it! (hammer)
4ndy
Seedling

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 14 Apr 2018, 07:41

Thanks Robert.

Will download and try use it.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Dave R » 22 Apr 2018, 22:05

I wouldn't worry about SketchUp Make disappearing. At least not for a long while. SketchUp for Web (SketchUp Free) has a little way to go before it would be a real replacement for Make. They keep adding features to it and it's always improving. There are a couple of benefits to the browser based version that make it appealing even if you are using SketchUp Make already. Since it runs in your browser, you can run it on devices like Chromebooks or on Linux machines. If you upload your models to Trimble Connect or the 3D Warehouse, you can access them from any computer. That means that even if you don't have SketchUp installed on your notebook, I can access and show you my models in the Wifi-equipped pub while you're buying me a pint. :D Every time you open SketchUp Free you are getting the latest version. Sometimes they pushtwo or three updates a week. Can you imagine downloading and updating SketchUp Make two or three times a week?

For those who want to use SketchUp for more than hobby use, there's now SketchUp Shop which is also browser based but has much more functionality than SketchUp Free. It is a subscription thing so for about $120/year, you have SketchUp anywhere you have Wifi access.

FWIW, once you have SketchUp Free or SketchUp Shop opened, it uses very little in internet resources unless you are downloading or uploading to/from the 3D Warehouse or Trimble Connect.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools