It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:53

EPDM shed roof

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

EPDM shed roof

Postby Robert » 15 May 2018, 19:49

My shed roof has has been leaking for a while but it got worse recently. It was covered with a decent grade felt but it had started to split and needed replacing.

I could have just bought new felt but with past talk on here of EPDM I thought I had to give it a go. Not knowing where to get it from I ended up on ebay. You could buy just the sheet but for not much more you can buy a kit with glue included...so I did. Cost me £140 for a 4.5m x 3m sheet of 1.14mm thick epdm along with some water based adhesive and 2 tins of contact adhesive. Supposed to have a 50 year life so it will see me out.

After a few sessions with youtube it seemed I didn't need the contact stuff after all. You glue the sheet to the shed roof then timber trim the vertical edge.

I checked the sheet size first on a tarp to keep it clean

It was bang on the size ordered.

The shed with temporary tarp to keep the rain out.

When I built the shed I didn't back up the butt joints in the roof boards and over time they have warped a bit. So I added some CLS to the underside with angled screws in the ends to give me something to screw down into from above to align the edges. Worked well.

More water damage one side than the other

Old felt tore up easily but there were so many clout nails to get out it took ages.

EPDM is really heavy! Anyway based on what I'd seen on youtube I pulled the rubber back half way and glued the exposed half the roof and then slid the rubber back onto the glue.
No pictures of that as mild panic set in for a while :)

What youtube didn't tell me was the glue acts as a lubricant as well as a glue. The roof is only 15 degree slope but that was enough for the sheet to slide under my weight when i stood on the glued half. As it slides it puckers and of course the glue holds well enough to retain the pucker. The video showed it settling smooth with a few strokes from a broom. Didn't work for me.

Anyway after a bit of a fight it ended up flat enough

I taped a mini roller to an extension pole for glue application

2nd side glued. I didn't walk on it this time - much easier. Just stood on the ridge or the ladders.
Kept all the spare to one side and end

I cut some 6x1 treated in half as i couldn't get 3x1 and clamped a couple of pieces up to see how it looked.

Be ok once screwed on and the rubber trimmed off.

I need to fit some of the trim from on the roof so that can wait till tomorrow when hopefully the glue will be dry.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: EPDM shed roof

Postby Malc2098 » 15 May 2018, 20:59

You picked some good weather to do it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 15 May 2018, 21:00

You won't be sorry, Robert. It's the very best stuff you can have on a near-flat roof, and is cheap too.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 15 May 2018, 21:32

Jobs a good un

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 15 May 2018, 23:01

Yours looks good.

I enjoyed doing mine, and it was an easy job. Should it ever need replacing, at least there are no clout nails to remove

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Robert » 16 May 2018, 14:00

Finished it off with the wood trim today.

So much easier walking around on rubber that does not move. Felt grippy and safe.

I've kept the large offcuts for now. Not sure why :)

Might be enough to keep the rain off the firewood bags (for the garden chimnea) that are down the side of the shed.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 16 May 2018, 16:57

Looks good!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to Projects & WIP