It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:13

Extraction question

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Extraction question

Postby Bucks woodshop » 15 May 2018, 23:11

Hi

Setting up my garage workshop and i have a large wheel about extractor its a great piece of kits but up til now ive been wheeling it from machine to machine

I want to give it a permanent home and set up a fixed piping system

Any advice people can give would be great ive seen both plastic and steel solutions at different sizes and i know the theories but what has been the real world experiences of you guys on this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
do or do not do there is no try - Yoda , the dagobah system
Bucks woodshop
New Shoots

Name: ian

Re: Extraction question

Postby Phil » 16 May 2018, 07:32

I am sure Rob 'Woodbloke' will be along.
He has a piped workshop.
There are some other members as well.

Do a search on the forum.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 16 May 2018, 08:28

I have 100mm plastic soil pipe running down two sides of the workshop with 2 blast gates and two lengths of flexi hose. The extractor (Camvac twin motor) sits above the workshop with the waste being dropped into a barrel below a cyclone. Works well for me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike Jordan » 16 May 2018, 08:29

I urge you to do the job properly using the purpose made metal ducting together with blast gates and mounting fittings. Don't be tempted to fool about with plastic drainpipes and similar supposedly cheaper methods. You can cobble these together and make a working system but it has no fire resistance and generates static electricity. The time saving with the metal pipes is well worth the few extra pounds of cost, everything will fit together easily. Keep the flexible pipes connecting the machines as short as possible to keep down the friction losses. Mine has a 150mm range pipe and 100mm down pipes each with a blast gate, these are the minimum sizes for efficiency in my opinion. Connect the down pipes into the side of the range pipe to prevent chippings from more distant machine falling down and blocking down pipes from machines nearer the extractor. The very best place for the extractor is outside the workshop, the finest and most dangerous dust will get through the filter bag and into you!
There is a fair chance that you will now be snowed under by instructions on how to make plywood blast gates etc.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby tracerman » 16 May 2018, 10:19

Ian -I cant comment on Mike Jordan's view about metal over plastic as I am plastic . However I would suggest that if you move the extractor to a separate shed outside , be aware that in the winter you will be sucking your heat out . I have a separate shed outside which is in a state of near-collapse so I shall be moving mine back inside this week , and replacing the cloth bag with a drum filter ( as discussed several times on this forum ) . At least this way I shall be retaining my heat .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Return to Machines & Power Toolery