It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:14

Looks like I have some catching up to do !

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Postby Tusses » 03 Jun 2018, 18:40

Hi everyone. It's been a while.
hopefully I will start catching up with what's been going on.

Me .. After beeing ill last year, I hit the point where I had to get any work or go bust. So B&Q it was :? !
it's pretty naff there, but it has done me well physically and mentally , so feeling much better , it's all on the up :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Looks like I have some catching up to do !

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jun 2018, 18:41

Great news!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerM » 03 Jun 2018, 19:47

Welcome back! Hope it all works out for you.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Rod » 03 Jun 2018, 23:27

Yes welcome back

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 04 Jun 2018, 06:58

RogerM wrote:Welcome back! Hope it all works out for you.

:text-+1:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jun 2018, 14:21

Welcome back mate, glad you’re on the mend.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2018, 15:09

No need to catch up on Mark's workshop build, nothing's changed while you have been away. :)

Good to see you back.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jun 2018, 19:04

Andyp wrote:No need to catch up on Mark's workshop build, nothing's changed while you have been away. :)

Good to see you back.

Just because nothing has been posted... ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jun 2018, 19:12

Good to see you back Rich and that B&Q has provided a rescue path.
When I took early retirement to look after Mrs9fingers, there was always the concern about finances working out and my fall back plan was to stack shelves at B&Q but thankfully I've not had to try it out.

best wishes

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Jun 2018, 21:52

welcome back

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 05 Jun 2018, 10:46

Thanks everyone . yes Bob .. B&Q is an easier one to get in to if you don't have yoof on your side.
I'm in the kitchen/bathroom sales dept, so on top of what is basically minimum wage , there is a couple of hundred £ a month in commission which helps. ~ Getting to the point where I'm ready to move on. (I.E can't take it any longer ! lol ). I would consider it again later , but as a main source of income it's , well .. not what I enjoy doing long term.

My biggest problem is , I don't know what to do with the rest of my life ! :lol:

edit .. the yoof comment wasn't aimed at you ! lol .. I was concerned at 49 I'd be stuck getting anything. B&Q will hire whatever age you are.
Last edited by Tusses on 06 Jun 2018, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 05 Jun 2018, 15:29

Glad you are feeling better.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 06 Jun 2018, 10:27

Tusses, don't know your circumstances, and wouldn't dare to presume, but I'm in a similar boat to Bob; LOML has the Big C., so we are moving from Northern Ireland to Northumbria to be near our children. We worried too about finances, but discovered - to our intense surprise - our place here was worth more than we'd ever dared to hope, making the £5k movers quote, lawyers fees, the capital gains tax etc, etc, MUCH more easily borne. Relocating or downsizing seems a HUGE step, but if you can (financially or circumstantially) consider either, we'd say to you it hasn't been as traumatic as we'd feared and has actually been beneficial in some respects. Good Luck Mon Ami; I was in trepidation giving up a stable job after 36 years, four years pre-pension, and in the cetain knowledge that Meggie would get very little in benefits and could not consider a job at all; things worked out in the end. Hope thay do for you too. keep posting.

Sam, in the transit zone.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jun 2018, 10:36

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Tusses, don't know your circumstances, and wouldn't dare to presume, but I'm in a similar boat to Bob; LOML has the Big C., so we are moving from Northern Ireland to Northumbria to be near our children. We worried too about finances, but discovered - to our intense surprise - our place here was worth more than we'd ever dared to hope, making the £5k movers quote, lawyers fees, the capital gains tax etc, etc, MUCH more easily borne. Relocating or downsizing seems a HUGE step, but if you can (financially or circumstantially) consider either, we'd say to you it hasn't been as traumatic as we'd feared and has actually been beneficial in some respects. Good Luck Mon Ami; I was in trepidation giving up a stable job after 36 years, four years pre-pension, and in the cetain knowledge that Meggie would get very little in benefits and could not consider a job at all; things worked out in the end. Hope thay do for you too. keep posting.

Go for it Sam! We found our outgoings dropped significantly when I retired aged 55 No suits to buy any more just cheap overalls for the workshop. Its been over 9 years now and quality of life has improved, reduced stress etc. Best move I've made to date!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 06 Jun 2018, 11:20

Thanks Sam , and my thoughts are with you and LOYL
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Jun 2018, 12:32

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Tusses, don't know your circumstances, and wouldn't dare to presume, but I'm in a similar boat to Bob; LOML has the Big C., so we are moving from Northern Ireland to Northumbria to be near our children. We worried too about finances, but discovered - to our intense surprise - our place here was worth more than we'd ever dared to hope, making the £5k movers quote, lawyers fees, the capital gains tax etc, etc, MUCH more easily borne. Relocating or downsizing seems a HUGE step, but if you can (financially or circumstantially) consider either, we'd say to you it hasn't been as traumatic as we'd feared and has actually been beneficial in some respects. Good Luck Mon Ami; I was in trepidation giving up a stable job after 36 years, four years pre-pension, and in the cetain knowledge that Meggie would get very little in benefits and could not consider a job at all; things worked out in the end. Hope thay do for you too. keep posting.

Welcome back, Tusses, good to see you again.

Sammie.....stop in for a cuppa as you beetle down the A69 ! Whereabouts in Northumberland are you moving to ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jun 2018, 13:54

9fingers wrote:Go for it Sam! We found our outgoings dropped significantly when I retired aged 55 No suits to buy any more just cheap overalls for the workshop. Its been over 9 years now and quality of life has improved, reduced stress etc. Best move I've made to date!

Bob

Same here, but I finished at 59. Retirement is the best job I've ever had.

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:... LOML has the Big C., so we are moving from Northern Ireland to Northumbria

Sam, hope everything works out OK. I sincerely hope that you and Rog enjoy the weather 'oop Narth'...but after NI, it won't be much different :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 07 Jun 2018, 09:42

Thank you all. Meggie is in what we hope is 'stasis' at the moment, and the medics hope to maintain that to extend her time.

We are moving to Alnwick, 30 miles north of Newcastle -IF EVERYTHING GOES TO PLAN. Sim will be ten mins walk away and Ness a hour north by train; Tim's in Bristol, just a few hours more. The whole point is to remove the extended time-wasting and expense of air travel, to three destinations, and to future-proof things as we age.

Thank you for the invite Roger; I might hold you to that! ;) Rob, long time no see. We actually compared Met Office charts to check, Alnwick climate is indeed similar to our presently sun-baked piece of green. Mind you, this current stretch of sunshine...I haven't been this colour since I was in the Andes in the summer,10 years ago and above 2000m for most of a month...

Bob, Thank you for the encouragement - as always! I've already been 'retired' (in the sense of not having to get up for work) since last September, but we had a turbulent time when Meggie's resistance to the chemo's toxicity was overcome, shortly afterwards. Between that and some other family fuss, I've been 'on the clock' for three adults since retiring. We hope to slow things down a lot, and in that respect, are trying hard to get a smaller, newer place that avoids the ongoing maintainence our 1903 house and big garden demands. I AM having fun, training in night school to use a metal-working lathe and mill, and - with my left hand - trying to find a mover that doesn't require a mortgage(!) for moving an aged AGS, bandsaw, lathe, P/T etc.etc. Debating hiring a six-tonner with a tail lift and doing myself. :| I used to do a similar job for the C.C.F in the summer as a contingent Q.M., so it's a viable option if I'm desperate.

Cheers, All; this is a nice forum to be in.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2018, 09:54

Hi Sam

Alnwick...good choice. Now why didn't we do more research :eusa-think: Don't think you get midges there either. Another little unforeseen bonus.

When we moved (including the workshop) we used GB Liners. Not the cheapest but definitely the best. We'd use them again at the drop of a hat. Top tip...put all your 'ready-to-hand' tools in a box and take them with you in your car.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerM » 07 Jun 2018, 10:06

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:Go for it Sam! We found our outgoings dropped significantly when I retired aged 55 No suits to buy any more just cheap overalls for the workshop. Its been over 9 years now and quality of life has improved, reduced stress etc. Best move I've made to date!

Bob

Same here, but I finished at 59. Retirement is the best job I've ever had.

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:... LOML has the Big C., so we are moving from Northern Ireland to Northumbria

Sam, hope everything works out OK. I sincerely hope that you and Rog enjoy the weather 'oop Narth'...but after NI, it won't be much different :lol: - Rob

:text-+1: I actually retired at 55. It was March 2008 and I was working in financial services. I could see the Big Crunch looming, decided that it was going to be horrible and I wanted to be nowhere near a financial institution when it came. I've never so much as glanced over my shoulder. It's been the best 10 years of my life (so far!). It's amazing how far you can make money go so long as you've paid off the mortgage and the kids have finished university and are no longer on the payroll. No commuting, no new suits, no National Insurance, no pension contributions. It makes a big difference. And the removal of work related stress has worked wonders for our general health and quality of life. I didn't realise what it had been doing to me until it was removed!

SamQ - Alnwick is lovely and I hope you're very happy there and it all works out for you and your family. Northumberland beaches are fabulous and empty the year round. It's a glorious county - and I'm a Devonian!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Rod » 07 Jun 2018, 10:44

We were up in that area a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Both my wife and myself retired at 60 and were then “persuaded” to work part time - a couple of days a week which worked out fine.
In fact with my pensions and salary I was earning more than I was full time
Finally called it a day at 65 but did some Consultancy work from home for a few years.
Just before I retired I was sent on a “Retirement Course” one speaker showed a graph of expected life spans - the younger you retired the longer you lived!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2018, 11:08

Rod wrote:Just before I retired I was sent on a “Retirement Course” one speaker showed a graph of expected life spans - the younger you retired the longer you lived!
Rod

Thanks Rod. I stopped work a month after my 45th birthday! that was 11 years ago now. Can't bring myself to use the word retirement though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 07 Jun 2018, 16:17

I seem to be getting a number of double posts - from other people too??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jun 2018, 16:39

Rod wrote:I seem to be getting a number of double posts - from other people too??

Rod

I’m not. Restart Tapatalk (properly shut it down then wait 60s before reopening).
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 07 Jun 2018, 18:33

Tusses, sorry, I seem to have hijacked your thread...could everybody please remember our very own B&Q survivor said:

"I don't know what to do with the rest of my life !"..suggestions please!!

Sam
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat