It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:00

Android or iPhone ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Android or iPhone ?

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jun 2018, 17:14

Agreed Andy, but unless you know how to do it then it is a mystery...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Coley » 04 Jun 2018, 17:17

Andyp wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:
Coley wrote:Does apple allow you to download music you've purchased in mp3 format now? That was another reason I never considered apple.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You’ve always been able to do that, you just need to know how...

ther's is no magic involved. Most of the songs on my iMac are MP3s from my own CDs. I have just transferred a load to the wife's iPhone 6 ( hope she wont mind) . They play no problem.
I meant the other way around Buy from ITunes then download the files as mp3's so I can do as I please with the file.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jun 2018, 17:19

No you can’t do that. They add Apple proprietary DRM into them so that’s not possible to my knowledge. I could be wrong, though that rarely happens... ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Coley » 04 Jun 2018, 17:51

TrimTheKing wrote:No you can’t do that. They add Apple proprietary DRM into them so that’s not possible to my knowledge. I could be wrong, though that rarely happens... ;)
Ah I thought they must have changed things and suddenly allowed it I buy albums from Google play and download straight onto my phone. When I'm not as busy I can download the same album to my pc in mp3 format. I've been known to share the mp3 files on USB stick to friends and family, occasionally they do the same

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 04 Jun 2018, 20:17

TrimTheKing wrote:No you can’t do that. They add Apple proprietary DRM into them so that’s not possible to my knowledge. I could be wrong, though that rarely happens... ;)

I’ve been exporting songs in MP3 format from iTunes onto a memory stick to play in the car for some years.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Jun 2018, 15:34

Yes you can export to play from USB, but to my knowledge, and a quick Google supports this, songs purchased from the iTunes store cannot be exported and shared with other people.

You can authorise up to 5 Apple devices to share your music from your iTunes library, but unless I'm very much mistaken you cannot take purchased (iTunes store) music, export it from the library to USB and give that to other people, because it has built in security to tie it to your iTunes/Apple ID.

Happy to be proved wrong, but this was how Apple initially stopped people from buying a single copy of a piece of music then just giving it away to everyone...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 05 Jun 2018, 16:21

TrimTheKing wrote:Yes you can export to play from USB, but to my knowledge, and a quick Google supports this, songs purchased from the iTunes store cannot be exported and shared with other people.

Not from within the native iTunes program, I agree. But the audio is eminently accessible in the iTunes media library and you can either burn the native .m4a format to CD or convert to MP3 first and then do it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 05 Jun 2018, 16:45

Before I had a car with USB I used to export from iTunes as MP3 and burn to a CD to play in the car. Yes, I’m not supposed to share it with anyone but nothing stopped me playing it in my wife’s car or mine. Same with the USB stick. I seem to recall, but may be wrong that you could only export a certain number of times but I’ve not had any issues.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 05 Jun 2018, 17:31

My concern was I could buy a lot of music from I tunes then have to buy an iPhone for the rest of my life to be able to listen to it. I probably buy around 1album a month. If for whatever reason they doubled the price of their handsets overnight, I'd have no choice but to continue buying their products.
Before smartphones really took off I bought an ipod and use to upload my cds and mp3's to it. I always disliked the process instead of not just being able to drag and drop the file.

If it's possible to download iTunes music as mp3's I'll have to reconsider their handsets.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 05 Jun 2018, 20:01

As I’ve said you can access the music files from within the iTunes music library, download to a USB stick and use elsewhere.
The files are playing in my car from the memory stick not my iPhone (which contains them also).

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Jun 2018, 20:51

I don't buy any music any more, I just use Spotify...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jun 2018, 21:48

RogerS wrote:
I'd be interested to know just how many people are using the same PC after ten years and whether its' performance, running the latest version of Microsoft that it can, is as good as it was when it was first bought running whatever version was current then.

Roger,
My everyday PC is a dell d420 laptop/ small format notebook 12" display and A4 size with magnesium alloy case that came out in June 2006 and as far as I'm concerned is as good as the day I first had it but I'm convinced that the main contribution to this is that I have NOT changed the version of OS but it might have had a service pack or two applied. It is powered 24/7 and might get rebooted once every few months perhaps more often when I'm travelling on holiday.
I have several of these machines now bought second hand for various tasks. I've had the odd failed hinge, and a failed LCD so one has become a donor of parts for the others. Batteries of course have lost the will to charge but I mainly use them on mains power or in the car running diagnostics.

The desktop machine is much older Dell again 8300 which I think is a pentium 3 or maybe 4 running at 3 GHz ish that I have in the office with a 20" monitor for cad spreadsheets etc that was originally Win 98 which changed to XP it too has been very reliable. it runs 24/7 as well.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 06 Jun 2018, 04:26

Thanks Bob. I appreciate your point but wonder how the performance would be if you were running whatever latest version of M'oft that you could.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 06 Jun 2018, 05:59

Have apple stopped deliberately slowing down older iphones now ? It'd be nice to choose when to change a handset instead of the phone manufacturer forcing the decision on you.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Jun 2018, 06:37

Coley wrote:Have apple stopped deliberately slowing down older iphones now ? It'd be nice to choose when to change a handset instead of the phone manufacturer forcing the decision on you.

You seem to have a 'down' against Apple. The simple fact is that, like ALL phone manufacturers, the batteries will become worse at holding a charge for as long as they originally did when first manufactured. If you upgrade your operating system (and you don't have to do that unless there are some new features that you 'must have') then that will use more power, the battery will rundown quicker. Fact of life, I'm afraid.

True - Apple did shoot themselves in the foot on this but they responded to customer feedback and it is now optional. So you are not 'forced' to change a handset.

The same argument applies to iMacs etc. My iMac is about ten years old and is now updated to the most recent version of the OS that it can - El Capitan. Yet, because Apple spend a huge amount of energy and effort at improving the core performance of their OS, whenever a new version comes out, there is often very little impact on the performance. I'm not sure that you can say that about M'oft.

Chip designs change and do. The newer chips will have particular hardware features that are used by newer versions of the software. Airdrop, for example. I can't run the necessary underlying background software on my iMac needed to run Airdrop. Am I going to lose any sleep over it ? Nope.

The same arguments apply to all software suppliers - not just the OS from Apple and M'oft. They simply cannot afford to keep maintaining software versions and test them on the multiplicity of devices and OS versions going back to the Year Dot. And, again, new hardware features brought out by the chip makers get used for new features etc and so the older devices physically could not run the latest versions of the software even if the programmers wanted them to. Fact of life. I had an elderly iPod...used to run a very neat little program called Home'n'Dry that used radar maps to predict rainfall over the next few hours. The programmers no longer support the latest version on my iPod. Shame but I'll get over it. Fact of life.

Moving on...websites and browsers. Pain in the backside. So many changes, versions, security features. Different sites seem to require different browsers to run properly. I HAD to migrate up to El Capitan because there were some websites out there that needed a particular version of Safari - only available on El C. Fact of life.

If you really want to get annoyed over companies who are insistent on you buying a new mobile phone every year then save your angst for the banks and credit card companies. They are ALL moving over to two-factor authentication (OK...I know...subtle differences in terminology between verification and authentication) and you will HAVE to use a mobile phone if you want to keep using their services. And I'm not taking about using their apps on the phone (which no-one in their right mind would use unless they were using an iPhone...simply because I don't think that Android as secure as an iPhone). I'm talking about using the web browser on your computer to do a financial transaction. They are going to start insisting that for any type of payment (and not just setting up a new payee) that they send you a one-time security key to your phone. No smartphone. No online banking. I feel for the very elderly who do not have nor wish to have a smart phone. And as newer smartphones come out, the banks will change their practices so that you have to be using the very latest smartphone.

Ditto Mastercard...all online transactions are being flagged up now onscreen with a message telling you by the fact that they will soon start sending you a security-key for each transaction to your smartphone. No mobile coverage ? Tough. They seem to have forgotten the fact that mobile companies are really bad at getting conned into diverting your mobile phone number to a different one.

But I digress.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 06 Jun 2018, 06:43

I think you're right Roger, I'm just not a fan of them

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Android or iPhone ?

Postby Rod » 06 Jun 2018, 08:23

Home & Dry is still supported on the iPhone and the Met Office App now has the radar feature.
The H&D app gives a warning notification of lightening strikes when they get to within 10miles?? of your location.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Jun 2018, 09:41

Rod wrote:Home & Dry is still supported on the iPhone and the Met Office App now has the radar feature.
The H&D app gives a warning notification of lightening strikes when they get to within 10miles?? of your location.

Rod

I think that you will find that it only works after a certain release of iOS which is why I had to abandon it on my iPod as I couldn't upgrade the iOS any further.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jun 2018, 09:53

Yes I had to abandon a perfectly functioning iPhone 3GS as the apps I had paid for were no longer supported by the most up to date iOS that it would run. iTunes would not let me reload the previous version of the apps hence forcing the abandonment.
This apple arrogance pi88es me off but I still prefer their phones over android as I have difficulty find my way round the Mrs Samsung when she gets in a twist

Still second hand iPhones can be had cheaply provided you stay several versions back from the latest. I'm currently on a 5s and ios9 which does all I want.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby timothyedoran » 06 Jun 2018, 19:55

I have a work iPhone and an android personal.

Apple is great if you like how it works. If you don't it is not very configurable.

Android is great if you want to tinker to get it exactly how you want

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Robert » 06 Jun 2018, 20:38

That's kind of my take on it too.

If you want something that does the basics well and nothing more then apple may be your best bet. Or if you have bought into the apple way and everything you use is apple then go iphone.

If like me you use a lot of independently sourced stuff then apple just doesn't want to know and will not work. Android probably will.

I started off with an iphone but kept finding things it wouldn't do. Now it is android only in our household. Sure there are things that come up that need a bit of google woo to sort out but they are sortable. Not 'computer says no' like I experienced with iphone.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby timothyedoran » 06 Jun 2018, 22:21

Robert wrote:That's kind of my take on it too.

If you want something that does the basics well and nothing more then apple may be your best bet. Or if you have bought into the apple way and everything you use is apple then go iphone.

If like me you use a lot of independently sourced stuff then apple just doesn't want to know and will not work. Android probably will.

I started off with an iphone but kept finding things it wouldn't do. Now it is android only in our household. Sure there are things that come up that need a bit of google woo to sort out but they are sortable. Not 'computer says no' like I experienced with iphone.
^ yer wot he said.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Woodster » 06 Jun 2018, 22:31

Being able to download any software from any source for Android is also it’s weak point. This is why many companies insist their employees use Apple iPhones for company business.

Customisability is also something of a fallacy, the last place I worked had over 300 staff and I reckon less than 10% of them would “customise” their tech to the degree that some allude to. Most of them seemed happy to just change the wallpaper or select a theme.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 06 Jun 2018, 22:40

There are three things I won't discuss with friends:

1. Politics

2. Religion

3. Android vs iPhone

;)
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2018, 06:50

Robert wrote:....
I started off with an iphone but kept finding things it wouldn't do. ...

Curious to have some examples, Robert, as that could affect my choice.

Been looking at all the permissions that Google allows all the Android apps to access. Makes a mockery of GDPR ! Talk about data-mining. On my Android tablet running 4.4.2 Google have removed the ability to delete alter permissions. I see that iOS does.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat