It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:13

UKW login

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

UKW login

Postby Deejay » 11 Jun 2018, 08:22

Morning all

I just tried to post a reply over on UKW. I was given a message to sign up to their terms and privacy policy, but I'm beggared if I can find out how.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Re: UKW login

Postby Phil » 11 Jun 2018, 08:43

Just signed in without any problems or asking about terms and conditions.

There is a large yellow banner on the top.

Clicked on that and it said that I had agreed.
Not sure where to read them though.
Last edited by Phil on 11 Jun 2018, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 11 Jun 2018, 08:44

Can't help, Dave. I rarely login or visit UKW these days but just logged in without any problem.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Deejay » 11 Jun 2018, 09:50

Morning both

Like you Roger, I rarely reply to UKW posts so I assume the exercise is down to Data Prtection changes since my last login.

Just logged in via a Google search on Chrome. Got the yellow banner, read the terms and clicked to agree them.

I can now log in using Firefox as normal.

All I can think of is that I rarely use Chrome so it doesn't have Privacy Badger or Adblock installed.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Jun 2018, 14:25

Haven't been there for years; even forgotten my log in and can't be ar$ed to sort it out - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Jun 2018, 22:17

Thanks for that tip, Dave. I just tried to send a PM to someone and couldn't as I'd not agreed to the Ts and Cs. So I logged in with a different browse and got the yellow splash bar re them
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 04 Jul 2018, 20:17

I wanted to reply to a post on UKW but I do not get the option to agree to privacy statement and I cannot be bothered loading a different browser onto my machine and don't particularly want to, so it looks as if I will not be able to contribute there.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Deejay » 05 Jul 2018, 08:07

Morning Kevin

I only used Chrome to access the consent stuff. Once the box has been ticked at UKW, any browser will do AFAIK.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby HappyHacker » 05 Jul 2018, 08:36

Dave, I am using Safari and don't want to load anything else on the computer and I have got it configured how I want. I have loaded different browsers in the past on other computers and got fed up with them all trying to take over from each other. I was spending more time messing around than actually doing anything. I have another computer I use occasionally with Firefox on and nearly every time I turn it on there is a prompt for an update but I feel that is preferable to whatever the latest Windows offering is. Thanks for the reply though I will bear it in mind in case I ever get the urge to mess around with different browsers. :)

Kevin
HappyHacker
Sapling

Postby Deejay » 05 Jul 2018, 09:05

Hello Kevin

I find it useful to have access to alternative browsers if I have problems with particular sites. I can understand why websites don't cater for every possible option on every browser. If you use a 'minority' browser like FF, it's a risk you take.

For example, Sainsbury's insurance site just won't (or at least wouldn't) work properly on FF. Clicking on links within their web pages redirected me to the wrong places. Their tech support couldn't work out why. Simple solution, use another browser.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby RogerS » 05 Jul 2018, 09:31

Kevin, I echo what Dave says.

As far as browsers pestering you, it's a simple tick in the box 'Do not ask me again'. Simples.

I don;t know what version of Safari you are on but the latest incarnation that I am running is a right pain on a lot of sites.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Jul 2018, 10:30

HappyHacker wrote:Dave, I am using Safari and don't want to load anything else on the computer and I have got it configured how I want. I have loaded different browsers in the past on other computers and got fed up with them all trying to take over from each other. I was spending more time messing around than actually doing anything. I have another computer I use occasionally with Firefox on and nearly every time I turn it on there is a prompt for an update but I feel that is preferable to whatever the latest Windows offering is. Thanks for the reply though I will bear it in mind in case I ever get the urge to mess around with different browsers. :)

Kevin

If you have another computer with FF on, then use that to accept's the new T's & C's...

Doesn't have to be the same machine as the one you regularly use.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby HappyHacker » 05 Jul 2018, 13:26

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately having spent most of my working life ******* around with computers now I have retired I have become a devoted ignorant user :) if it doesn't work I do something else. I agree with all you have said about different browsers and machines but taking the Apple to the office outside and then trying to find the "secure" password generated by and kept in keychain and then transposing it to the other computer is just too much faff with all the other things my daughters and wife believe I should be doing :(

I have still to work out how to get the smilies from the panel on the left into my post, please don't tell me as I am very happy with my ignorance and will only have forgotten by the time I come to want them again.

Cheers
Kevin
HappyHacker
Sapling

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat