It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:00

Internal doors - which supplier?***Deanta Doors***

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Internal doors - which supplier?***Deanta Doors***

Postby RogerM » 13 Jun 2018, 18:59

I have 14 internal doors to replace, probably with something like this. I could make my own, but 14 of them? I'd lose the will to live, and I don't think I'd save much. Howdens refuse to take the order because I'm not trade! Are there any suppliers you prefer? Any that you would stay clear of? As usual, I'm aiming to buy at the elbow of the price/quality curve!
Last edited by RogerM on 17 Aug 2018, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: Internal doors - which supplier?

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Jun 2018, 19:24

Howdens have given me a cash account in the past. It might be worth calling on your local outlet.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerM » 13 Jun 2018, 20:17

Malc2098 wrote:Howdens have given me a cash account in the past. It might be worth calling on your local outlet.

The guys in Plymouth just look down their noses at you. When I wanted enough kitchen units to fill 3 normal kitchens they just kept saying get your builder to ask for a quote. We only deal with trade. In the end I did my own thing - all detailed here of course.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jun 2018, 20:25

My BIL bought Jeld-wen white primed 4 panel doors for around £60 each and they were rubbish.
I had to shorten them by 22mm and the internal frame depth was only 22mm so cutting that off reposed the internal cardboard interior filling and the was a real fiddle to re-fit the piece I cut off to make up the integrity of the door again.
No glue between horizontal and vertical components just one staple per joint. just awful.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 14 Jun 2018, 08:34

Selco do similar doors for similar prices but looking at the map they don't have branches down your way.

They are trade only but seem to give a card to anyone including me.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerM » 14 Jun 2018, 08:45

Thanks Bob and Robert. Useful to know.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2018, 12:04

most if not all the B&Q internal doors you can take 4mm of each long edge or 6mm of the bottom :eusa-snooty:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 23 Jun 2018, 10:02

Thanks for the helpful comments guys. Looks like we are going to go for Deanta doors Ely for the solid ones, and Deanta Kerry for the glazed. These have a solid engineered construction, and 18mm lippings all round so plenty of allowance for trimming. They advertise that you can take up to 32mm off both height and width, which should be enough for anyone.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Re: Internal doors - which supplier? ***Deanta Doors***

Postby RogerM » 16 Aug 2018, 20:49

10 doors hung and 5 to go. So far I'm very happy with them. Construction is a chipboard core with a 35mm lip on each side and top and bottom, leaving plenty of room for trimming to size. The veneers are mainly book matched which is a nice touch, and the thickness of the lipping means that there is always plenty of "real wood" to screw into for hinge attachment etc. The grooves between the veneered panels are cut into solid oak strips set in to the core, so there is no hint of a composite material on the outside of the door. I've lightly cleaned up each one with my ROS, degreased with a wipe of meths and then given 2 coats of Osmo door oil. Total cost is £150 per door including all door furniture and 3 ball bearing hinges per door.

This is the first time I've fitted composite doors so I have nothing to compare them with, but I would use again. Deanta Doors Ely for the solid doors, and Deanta Kerry for the glazed ones, bought through"Doors of Distinction" in Sidmouth, who undercut their own website prices.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Pinch » 17 Aug 2018, 10:15

Nice one Roger. I bet they're still very heavy at internal door thickness of 35mm.

I hung 3 oak composite doors for a work neighbour just before Christmas and they were jolly well very heavy - first doors I've hung in years and I'm not hanging any more! A package deal at £150 per door sounds excellent. You'll have to post up some finished photos. Now then, we want to see a good parallel door joint - maybe to the equivalent of a few fag papers. ;)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Rod » 17 Aug 2018, 11:51

I replaced all our flat panelled sapele doors with solid pine raised panel doors many years ago.
I cheated a bit by laying the old doors on top of the new ones and pencilled round the shape.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 17 Aug 2018, 12:20

Rod wrote:I replaced all our flat panelled sapele doors with solid pine raised panel doors many years ago.
I cheated a bit by laying the old doors on top of the new ones and pencilled round the shape.

Rod

Snap! :lol: I'm checking each door before I remove it to see how well it fits, taking note of any points where it could fit better, and then using it as a template. These new doors are quite heavy at 30kgs each, but I bought a pair of Winbags from toolstation and they're brilliant for lifting the door into it's final position a fraction of a mm at a time. Takes all the grunt out of hanging doors single handed.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby usall » 25 Jan 2023, 13:04

RogerM wrote:10 doors hung and 5 to go. So far I'm very happy with them. Construction is a chipboard core with a 35mm lip on each side and top and bottom, leaving plenty of room for trimming to size. The veneers are mainly book matched which is a nice touch, and the thickness of the lipping means that there is always plenty of "real wood" to screw into for hinge attachment etc. The grooves between the veneered panels are cut into solid oak strips set in to the core, so there is no hint of a composite material on the outside of the door. I've lightly cleaned up each one with my ROS, degreased with a wipe of meths and then given 2 coats of Osmo door oil. Total cost is £150 per door including all door furniture and 3 ball bearing hinges per door.

This is the first time I've fitted composite doors so I have nothing to compare them with, but I would use again. Deanta Doors Ely for the solid doors, and Deanta Kerry for the glazed ones, bought through"Doors of Distinction" in Sidmouth, who undercut their own website prices.

Hi Roger, we're coming in a little late on this conversation but hope you can help. Four plus years later, what is your opinion on the Deanta doors? Would love to hear a review. Thank you.
usall
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 29 Jan 2023, 12:52

usall wrote:
RogerM wrote:10 doors hung and 5 to go. So far I'm very happy with them. Construction is a chipboard core with a 35mm lip on each side and top and bottom, leaving plenty of room for trimming to size. The veneers are mainly book matched which is a nice touch, and the thickness of the lipping means that there is always plenty of "real wood" to screw into for hinge attachment etc. The grooves between the veneered panels are cut into solid oak strips set in to the core, so there is no hint of a composite material on the outside of the door. I've lightly cleaned up each one with my ROS, degreased with a wipe of meths and then given 2 coats of Osmo door oil. Total cost is £150 per door including all door furniture and 3 ball bearing hinges per door.

Hi Roger, we're coming in a little late on this conversation but hope you can help. Four plus years later, what is your opinion on the Deanta doors? Would love to hear a review. Thank you.

Sorry for delay. Just got back from 2 weeks of being a lazy bar steward in the sun on Tenerife. Not a lot to report really. They're doors and still perform their function. The finish of Osmo door oil has held up well, and there is no hint of any separation of the veneers from the substrate. Although most people won't notice, I like the way the veneers are book-matched which gives a nice uniform appearance across the face of the door. As mentioned above, the clincher for me was the fact that there is a 35mm lip along both sides plus top and bottom, so there is plenty of scope to trim them to size, and also to screw into for the hinges without having to resort to methods of screwing into the edge of chipboard. Perhaps I should add that they have had a relatively easy life as it's just the boss and myself living in the house, and no pets or children to vandalise them, but in any event I think they would stand moderate abuse without any trouble. I would happily buy and fit the same again.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Return to General Woodworking