It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:01

What does the team think ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

What does the team think ?

Postby RogerS » 13 Jun 2018, 18:07

I opened up a delivery today and found the tin inside looking like this

The outside of the box is untouched and so I wrote to the supplier. This is an extract from the reply

apologies if your tin is damaged I can assure we don’t send anything out if its damaged or dented they are always in perfect condition when its dispatched, anything that is not perfect we sell over our trade counter to the trade. We have been doing this long enough to know not to send damaged tins out. Parcel force like all carriers are bad, but we have to use them and we have tried them all if the package can be thrown it will be,

These are photographs of the box

Bottom

Side One

Side Two

Side Three

Side Four

Inside

Inside top flap

So...what does the team think ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: What does the team think ?

Postby Coley » 13 Jun 2018, 18:38

Looks like it should pop back out with a gentle push

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Jun 2018, 18:39

If it hasn't had any affect on the contents and the seal is still good then I would forget about it. It is end grain sealer, presumably a paraffin wax derivative of some sort? Decant into jars if necessary. I have some Chestnut stuff that has been good for 10+ years.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 13 Jun 2018, 18:44

I'm more interested in whether you think the reply is an excuse or a valid reason.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Jun 2018, 18:49

Looking at the lack of damage to the cardboard it looks like it was inserted damaged.
Of course it could self healing cardboard

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Jun 2018, 20:36

No way that damage happened in the box.

Did you send them the pictures of the box?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby timothyedoran » 13 Jun 2018, 22:28

If you are really concerned can you get a new empty can or ask them to send you one?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Jun 2018, 22:53

TrimTheKing wrote:No way that damage happened in the box.

:text-+1: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2018, 06:00

I agree but it is worth the hassle?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 14 Jun 2018, 06:22

Andyp wrote:I agree but it is worth the hassle?

Yes, it is the principle of the matter.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 07:46

Phil wrote:
Andyp wrote:I agree but it is worth the hassle?

Yes, it is the principle of the matter.

Thank you, Phil. I totally agree with you.

I detest any company like this one who throw a load of bovine male ordure. The 'excuse' is overblown, too long and of debatable veracity. To add insult to injury, the reply then goes on to say ....

'apologies again if you are not happy, bring it to our attention when you place your next order and we will give you a discount'

This stuff is not cheap. Even a token £5 as a gesture would have been appreciated and accepted in the spirit that it was made. But blatant BS? :eusa-naughty:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 14 Jun 2018, 08:00

Just as a contrast in customer service..

I bought a new pressure washer from Amazon - a Nilfisk 150 bar beast. It came with 2 nozzles - one a high power rotating blaster thing that worked fine and the other a variable power fan shape. The variable bit didn't work. It was stuck on its gentlest setting.

I phoned Amazon and explained the machine was fine but the attachment was faulty. I asked for a new nozzle or credit enough to buy another (£25). They said they can't do that but they could refund me a discount to cover the inconvenience and to buy another if i wanted to. £86 credited to my account. I even told them it was too much but got told no problem.

Of course I then dismantled the nozzle and found it had come apart inside. reassembled and it now works. Think a rotational stop is missing from it so just have to remember not to adjust it too far.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 08:06

Robert wrote:Just as a contrast in customer service..

:text-goodpost:

Rest Express will get my business from now on.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2018, 09:59

doesn't DSR say the seller has to pay return post if the item is damaged ?
Get them to replace it ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 13:03

Tusses wrote:doesn't DSR say the seller has to pay return post if the item is damaged ?
Get them to replace it ?

They seem to think that the Sale of Goods Act and DSR regs don't apply to them.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 14 Jun 2018, 15:29

Did you really complain about a dented paint can????

:text-lol: :text-lol:
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 16:32

stu wrote:Did you really complain about a dented paint can????

The photo doesn't actually show just how bad it is. There is nothing to stop the tin gradually collapsing a bit more every time you knock the lid back on. It is special end grain paint and so you're not going to use it up that quickly. Lots of repeat opening and closing. At nearly £50 a tin if you're happy to run the risk of not being able to close the lid properly and with a half tin left then you've got more money then me to throw away.

Besides, as Phil has said, it's the principle as much as anything else but if you don't mind being lied to by a supplier then that is a shame.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 16:33

RogerS wrote:
stu wrote:Did you really complain about a dented paint can????

The photo doesn't actually show just how bad it is. There is nothing to stop the tin gradually collapsing a bit more every time you knock the lid back on. It is special end grain paint and so you're not going to use it up that quickly. Lots of repeat opening and closing. At nearly £50 a tin if you're happy to run the risk of not being able to close the lid properly and with a half tin left then you've got more money then me to throw away.

Besides, as Phil has said, it's the principle as much as anything else but if you don't mind being lied to by a supplier then that is a shame.

Capisce ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 14 Jun 2018, 22:05

Just for fun, whats your end game here Rog? When do you say, yep I'm satisfied?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Jun 2018, 22:15

Although perhaps unlikely, I do think it’s possible for the tin to have been dented in transit.

I’d ask for a new tin as it wasn’t really packaged that well in the first place. As you say it’s going to be difficult to reseal each time you use it.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jun 2018, 04:52

stu wrote:Just for fun, whats your end game here Rog? When do you say, yep I'm satisfied?

As you think it's such a joke, my ideal would be for you to buy me a new tin. How's that sound ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 15 Jun 2018, 05:59

I would ask for a fiver and buy an empty tin from Brewers.
RogerS wrote:
stu wrote:Just for fun, whats your end game here Rog? When do you say, yep I'm satisfied?

As you think it's such a joke, my ideal would be for you to buy me a new tin. How's that sound ?

timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby RogerS » 15 Jun 2018, 06:32

timothyedoran wrote:I would ask for a fiver and buy an empty tin from Brewers.
RogerS wrote:

:lol: :lol: You do know I live in the depths of darkest Northumberland ! My local Brewers is 60 miles away :D

Besides trying to get anything out of them is like getting blood out of a stone. They made their attitude to customer service (or rather lack of) in their initial response.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 15 Jun 2018, 07:39

RogerS wrote:

Obviously it sounds absurd!

Seriously, i have a genuine interest in what it is that you expect from this point on and how you feel that this could be resolved. The damage could have occurred prior to, during or after transit and its just a case of one person's word against another. The supplier has offered you a discount on a future purchase by way of a sweetener and you said that you would have accepted £5 by way of compensation. Not too far apart.

You seem upset that you think you have been lied to, and you feel thats a point of principle but your initial complaint must have been about the damage to the tin? What's the real issue?

It seems to me that carrying on pursuing some form of recompense goes way beyond any economic benefit that might be gained. .

As a manufacturer, I'm always interested to know what it is that makes people tick during the buying process and trying to eliminate situations like this one because they are the hardest to deal with. The pay off seems to be an emotional one. You talk of wasting money but you don't seem to place any value in your own time.

When you had your joinery business did you ever have a customer that you thought was being unreasonable?

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jun 2018, 08:12

stu wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Obviously it sounds absurd!

Seriously, i have a genuine interest in what it is that you expect from this point on and how you feel that this could be resolved. The damage could have occurred prior to, during or after transit and its just a case of one person's word against another. The supplier has offered you a discount on a future purchase by way of a sweetener and you said that you would have accepted £5 by way of compensation. Not too far apart.

You seem upset that you think you have been lied to, and you feel thats a point of principle but your initial complaint must have been about the damage to the tin? What's the real issue?

It seems to me that carrying on pursuing some form of recompense goes way beyond any economic benefit that might be gained. .

As a manufacturer, I'm always interested to know what it is that makes people tick during the buying process and trying to eliminate situations like this one because they are the hardest to deal with. The pay off seems to be an emotional one. You talk of wasting money but you don't seem to place any value in your own time.

When you had your joinery business did you ever have a customer that you thought was being unreasonable?

I would have thought that I had made myself perfectly clear already and so I'm not going to get drawn into a lengthy discussion with you over this as it's starting to border on trolling.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat