It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:34

So how long do we reckon ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

So how long do we reckon ?

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 11:23

Should they simply keep the coach engine running as they'll be knocked out in the first round :lol:

My money is on Russia winning ( by fair means or foul but most likely the latter !)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: So how long do we reckon ?

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jun 2018, 12:13

Brasil for me. England have potential though, young side, playing without the weight of past failures in their ranks. If they show up on the day (big IF) then there's potential, but I can't see past Brasil.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 14 Jun 2018, 13:49

I'd love Spain to win, but only to show that the role of manager is over-blown.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby selectortone » 14 Jun 2018, 14:41

What has struck me, this time, is the lack of cars flying England flags. I've seen one.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby selectortone » 14 Jun 2018, 14:55

... oh, and that Visa advert with Ibrahimovic is going to get really tiresome by the end of the tournament. :evil:
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby StevieB » 14 Jun 2018, 15:40

I drew Argentina then Russia in the office sweepstake - don't want either to win really!

England - come through the group stage but lose in the first KO stage is my prediction.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 14 Jun 2018, 15:59

Keep an eye on South Africa!!!!!

O sh!t, they did not even make it to the airport.

We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2018, 17:05

Neyma - broken foot not so long ago - another metatarsal problem, remember Rooney and Beckham? Another Ronaldo moment in the making, not fit but still carrying the hopes of the nation.

Hate to say but West Germany for me. England will make the quarters and who are they likely to meet - I think if my wall chart :) Brazil. On the day anything could happen. I see nobody has started quoting Alan Hansen.. can't win anything with kids.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone other than a previous winner won? Of those the most likely is Belgium of course.

BTW have to take #1 daughter to see Ed Sheeran in Paris on quarter final day. Whole family going for the weekend, only 3 tickets for the concert so I will either be in the hotel :) or on the coach home :cry: depending which date they play.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Jun 2018, 17:33

TrimTheKing wrote:Brasil for me. England have potential though, young side, playing without the weight of past failures in their ranks. If they show up on the day (big IF) then there's potential, but I can't see past Brasil.

Is this footie stuff? Thankfully I've got plenty of sawdust to mangle in the 'shop and there's a few decent films on Amazon that might be worth a view. Definitely NOT the footie though.... - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 18:26

TrimTheKing wrote:..... If they show up on the day (big IF) then there's potential, but I can't see past Brasil.

What ? :o You mean that after all the fuss in getting there, they might not even bother to turn up for the match ? That would be good then the TV schedules could go back to normal :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 18:27

Andyp wrote:Neyma - broken foot not so long ago - another metatarsal problem, remember Rooney and Beckham? Another Ronaldo moment in the making, not fit but still carrying the hopes of the nation.

....... I see nobody has started quoting Alan Hansen.. can't win anything with kids.

Can someone please translate into English for me ? :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2018, 19:34

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:Neyma - broken foot not so long ago - another metatarsal problem, remember Rooney and Beckham? Another Ronaldo moment in the making, not fit but still carrying the hopes of the nation.

....... I see nobody has started quoting Alan Hansen.. can't win anything with kids.

IIRC both Rooney and Beckham in past world cups carried foot injuries into the tournament and were not fully fit and England failed. Brazil are not a one man team but a lot is expected or Neymar who is the golden boy as were Rooney and Beckham. Ronaldo was another Brazilian golden boy who also tried, and failed, to play while not fully fit with disastrous consequences.

Alan Hansen, ex Liverpool defender and footie pundit on MOTD* once famously said of the Man United class of 92 that you can’t win anything with kids - they went on to when the Premiership.

Mark will correct me if any of this is wrong.

* please tell me you do not need that translating.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2018, 19:41

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:

IIRC both Rooney and Beckham in past world cups carried foot injuries into the tournament and were not fully fit and England failed. Brazil are not a one man team but a lot is expected or Neymar who is the golden boy as were Rooney and Beckham. Ronaldo was another Brazilian golden boy who also tried, and failed, to play while not fully fit with disastrous consequences.

Alan Hansen, ex Liverpool defender and footie pundit on MOTD* once famously said of the Man United class of 92 that you can’t win anything with kids - they went on to when the Premiership.

Is Beckham where Delboy lives ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jun 2018, 00:12

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Spot on.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 15 Jun 2018, 06:28

Methinks Roger is trying to wind me up ;)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2018, 21:49

Keep that coach engine running as it won't be long now :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2018, 06:24

Ignoring Roger for a moment.

Does anyone else think that Rashford and Loftus-Cheek should have started? I hope they do against Panama

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Jun 2018, 07:33

Rashford has only trained for one day since injuring his knee in training last week so I think it was precautionary and trying to get the job done without risking him.

I quite like the look of the team but Kyle Walker plays as one of the best attacking right full backs in the world at City but we’re wasting him at centre half. Seems a shame, but then we’re short of quality centre halves...

TAA is decent too and I probably would have played him over Trippier but what do I know...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 20 Jun 2018, 19:54

You lot need to get out more instead of obsessing over ritualistic gladiatorial bouts and clan warfare...I blame the media for acting like peripherally connected hecklers 'encouraging' combatants on so they can have a gratuitous sense of involvement at the end. Pseuds.

I'm off to play a little C.S.N.&Y. and maybe watch The Directors Cut, Bladerunner.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Jun 2018, 22:11

I've always found that women's beach volleyball is an enjoyable spectator sport.

They rarely if ever argue with the ref or linesmen.

They rarely take a dive.

I've never seen them pull their tops over their heads as they knee slide along he sand.

:)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 25 Jun 2018, 07:59

No need for that bus quite yet eh Roger?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 25 Jun 2018, 09:55

Andyp wrote:No need for that bus quite yet eh Roger?

LOL....I agree, it was an excellent result against a side that would struggle to beat an Under-11's football team.

Maybe the driver has time to go and get a coffee. :eusa-whistle:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jun 2018, 10:22

Which is why one of the tournament favourites, Belgium, only put 3 past them.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Jun 2018, 11:19

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:No need for that bus quite yet eh Roger?

LOL....I agree, it was an excellent result against a side that would struggle to beat an Under-11's football team.

Maybe the driver has time to go and get a coffee. :eusa-whistle:

The old adage is, you can only beat what's in front of you. The reason I'm quite happy with yesterday's performance and result is that historically we HAVEN'T been able to dispatch these kind of teams the way we should. Southgate is impressing me very much with what he's doing. We're far from the finished article, but investing in youth, as Germany did 10 years ago, and look how that worked for them...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Coley » 25 Jun 2018, 13:19

Don Burn from the Chris moyles show predicted a 6-1 thrashing. He got Chris to put a £10 bet on for him. If he had held his nerve he would have won £1000. Instead he cashed out winning £400+. Quite a good result for everyone

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat