It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Mobile Mitre Saw Station with Dust Extraction

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Mobile Mitre Saw Station with Dust Extraction

Postby will1983 » 05 Jul 2018, 12:42

I finished a project last night that I've been working on for a few weeks now.

I bought a Bosch GSM10s mitre saw from axminster but was not impressed with the built in dust collection so designed a dust collecting hood to fit behind the existing fence to capture as much saw dust as possible yet maintain the full use of the saws mitring functions.

Made from 1/8" ply
IMG_0853.JPG
Hood front
(338.2 KiB)

IMG_0865 cropped.jpg
Hood back
(184.16 KiB)

This has two 68mm ports, one each end, built in to receive plastic guttering down pipe.

I wanted the saw mounted on a mobile unit that contained a Draper extractor. I bought the Draper unit about 3 years ago but despite having lots of suck it was very noisy and didn't have the best filtration. I raided my scraps pile and built a cabinet and fitted some locking castors from amazon. I found some 30mm polystyrene sheeting on Freecycle so 2 layers of this lined the cabinet to soundproof it to some extent. To provide the necessary extra filtration I bought some of these panel filters off eBay.

IMG_0775.JPG
Panel filters from eBay
(337.62 KiB)

The door of the cabinet was designed around the filter units and allows them to be removed for cleaning or replacement as required. As the cabinet is sealed it forces the air expelled from the dust collector to pass through the filter.

extractor box.png
Mobile cabinet
(773.02 KiB)

The pipework runs down the back of the mobile cabinet to a 110mm soil pipe straight connector which I butchered to make a bulkhead fitting. To combine the two 68mm pipes I made a custom Y connector. I also drilled the Y connector to take a 30mm flexible hose fitting from the saws factory dust outlet.

To power both the extractor unit and the saw I installed a double socket on the side of the cabinet and tidied up all the cables with clips. The lead to power the socket is about 2m long and can be coiled up on the side of the unit when not in use.

I did some preliminary testing, I cleaned up everywhere around the saw with the hoover until it was spotless and then turned a 3" length of 2x2" softwood to dust. I'd say it collected 90-95% of the saw dust which is a massive improvement over the original arrangement.

For some videos showing the system in more detail look up my Instagram account. cheshire_cats_woodworking

Will
Last edited by will1983 on 17 Jul 2018, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Mobile Mitre Saw Station with Dust Extraction

Postby Andyp » 05 Jul 2018, 12:53

Nice one Will. I will be building something similar although I hope the in built extraction on the Kapex will not need modifying. Do you think your design could benefit from some fold down extension tables?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby will1983 » 05 Jul 2018, 13:16

Andyp wrote:Nice one Will. I will be building something similar although I hope the in built extraction on the Kapex will not need modifying. Do you think your design could benefit from some fold down extension tables?

Yes Andy, that is the next modification to come but I've not yet decided how they are going to work or what else will need to be altered.

I've heard the Kapex has excellent dust extraction built in, but then I wouldn't expect anything else from Festool!

I research mire saw extraction a lot before building this, I didn't see anything remotely similar so it was an experiment really. It was more work than the usual big box behind the saw but I think it was worth it to save the space a box like that takes up.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jul 2018, 13:35

Neat.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby will1983 » 05 Jul 2018, 13:47

Malc2098 wrote:Neat.

Cheers Malc
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby DaveL » 05 Jul 2018, 14:44

I like the dust extraction though the fence, but am wondering if the extractor is going to run hot due to the boxing in. It should be OK if it's only run intermittently but a big job cutting lots of lap joints might be a problem.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby will1983 » 05 Jul 2018, 15:33

DaveL wrote:I like the dust extraction though the fence, but am wondering if the extractor is going to run hot due to the boxing in. It should be OK if it's only run intermittently but a big job cutting lots of lap joints might be a problem.

Hi Dave, being a brushed motor, the extractor always ran warm before and I haven't seen any change in this by boxing it in yet. I believe the motor is cooled by the extracted air passing through it which should still be effective as this hasn't changed.

I am yet to do some extended testing to see if this does deteriorate but other examples of enclosed vacuums I've seen online don't seem to experience any problems. I have a work bench build in the next few months that requires a lot of chop sawing so I will see how it gets on.

The polystyrene soundproofing does reduce the noise of the extractor significantly but occasionally the system produces an odd whistle, I may experiment by wrapping the plastic pipework in some sticky backed lead sheet to see if this change in mass alters the resonance enough to stop the whistle.

Will
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Jul 2018, 15:41

Yes but all the hot air is going to be inside the box, which will heat up the cool air coming in from above and keep it there surrounding the extractor...

Just one to keep an eye one.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby will1983 » 05 Jul 2018, 16:27

TrimTheKing wrote:Yes but all the hot air is going to be inside the box, which will heat up the cool air coming in from above and keep it there surrounding the extractor...

Just one to keep an eye one.

Cheers Trim,

The positive pressure created inside the box forces the warm air out through the panel filter set into the door, this was the design theory I used when I planned the build;

The extractor runs at 50l/sec and the panel filter is rated at 1500m3/hr which converts to 416l/s. therefore the filter has 8.3 times the required capacity to avoid choking the extractor and the subsequent build up of heat.

I was conscience to use the largest filter unit that would fit to avoid any issues that may arise from the reduced flow a layer of dust built up on the media would cause.

We will see what happens in practice but the theory says it should work fine.

Will
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Jul 2018, 17:30

That's excellent, Will. :eusa-clap:

Do I have to have an Instagram account to view your video ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2018, 19:38

RogerS wrote:That's excellent, Will. :eusa-clap:

Do I have to have an Instagram account to view your video ?

I expect so Roger. I cant get any of his videos to play here on my laptop.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Coley » 05 Jul 2018, 21:49

This link played ok on my phone (no instagram account )

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkyFGRRAEbB/
That extraction looks like it should be amazing !! The soil and gutter pipe arrangement looks really neat. Have you posted any videos of it working ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby will1983 » 09 Jul 2018, 12:22

Coley wrote:This link played ok on my phone (no instagram account )

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkyFGRRAEbB/
That extraction looks like it should be amazing !! The soil and gutter pipe arrangement looks really neat. Have you posted any videos of it working ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers Coley,

I did some more extended testing yesterday, I had it running for about 30mins constantly and the brushed motor does make it warm inside the cabinet but seems to maintain a consistent temperature. I think there is sufficient airflow through the whole system to prevent overheating. From memory the extracted air was always warm when it wasn't enclosed so I don't think there is much change. Obviously I could install a thermometer but I think that over engineering it a bit.

I unintentionally tested the actual extraction to yesterday but didn't shoot any video. I forgot to turn on the extractor before making a cut, a big cloud of saw dust and chips was blown about all over the saw (and all over me!). I did the same cut again with the extractor running and no visible muck escaped.

Though not perfect (the annoying hum/whistle) and looking a bit red neck I am calling this experiment a success.

Will
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Return to General Woodworking