It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:17

Fold away bench

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Fold away bench

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Jul 2018, 18:15

I know it's not pretty, but I've just made up a fold away bench from an idea I pinched off the net from someone who pinched the idea from someone else, as you do.

Extension table for the Kapex, infeed/outfeed/extension table for the table saw, or a making ups bench.

But the best thing about it, although I had to buy the hardware, hinges and fitch catches, I was able to use left over studding and flooring to make it.

IMG_2107.JPG
(243.67 KiB)

IMG_2106.JPG
(229.91 KiB)

IMG_2105.JPG
(298.32 KiB)

IMG_2108.JPG
(244.75 KiB)

I also bought the Charnwood four wheel base for the table saw. The old 3 wheel one with the timber sides couldn't handle the iTech. It moves around so much easier now. You could have a made a video of me and Mrs Malc using lumps of wood, wedges, frames and goodness knows what trying to raise it from the old base and lowering it onto the new base!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Fold away bench

Postby Bucks woodshop » 09 Jul 2018, 20:32

Malc2098 wrote:I know it's not pretty, but I've just made up a fold away bench from an idea I pinched off the net from someone who pinched the idea from someone else, as you do.

Extension table for the Kapex, infeed/outfeed/extension table for the table saw, or a making ups bench.

But the best thing about it, although I had to buy the hardware, hinges and fitch catches, I was able to use left over studding and flooring to make it.

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

I also bought the Charnwood four wheel base for the table saw. The old 3 wheel one with the timber sides couldn't handle the iTech. It moves around so much easier now. You could have a made a video of me and Mrs Malc using lumps of wood, wedges, frames and goodness knows what trying to raise it from the old base and lowering it onto the new base!
Sip do a wheel set for there equivalent i thought about the bases from rutland but with the weight i went with the designed ones that are built like brick outhouses

When i get back from italy ill take a picture

May have to steal the foldeable outfeed table though as mine is fixed and doubles as an assembly table but takes up so much room

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
do or do not do there is no try - Yoda , the dagobah system
Bucks woodshop
New Shoots

Name: ian

Postby Pinch » 09 Jul 2018, 20:47

Nifty! 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby will1983 » 10 Jul 2018, 10:43

Nice one, love the idea of having a temporary folding table, much better than the sh*tty pasting table I have for that purpose at the moment.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jul 2018, 10:48

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 10 Jul 2018, 17:56

Malc,
nice idea. Do you think the design could be tweaked it so the two end frames fold flat up against each other?

I
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 10 Jul 2018, 18:16

Andyp wrote:Malc,
nice idea. Do you think the design could be tweaked it so the two end frames fold flat up against each other?

I

They do, don't they ? First photo.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Jul 2018, 19:48

Not quite Roger. If the folding bits were a tad less long I think that they could fold inside the end frames so that the end frames would be tight up against each other.
A small point to make stowage easier. Very functional as they are though, not meant as a criticism.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 11 Jul 2018, 04:27

Andyp wrote:Not quite Roger. If the folding bits were a tad less long I think that they could fold inside the end frames so that the end frames would be tight up against each other.
A small point to make stowage easier. Very functional as they are though, not meant as a criticism.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. I'd just assumed that Malc hadn't completely folded the ends together but you're right.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Jul 2018, 08:30

I wonder if there is scope to tweak the design whereby the top is in two halves and each folds into or can be stored in the end frames to make it even more compact to store?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 11 Jul 2018, 08:38

9fingers wrote:I wonder if there is scope to tweak the design whereby the top is in two halves and each folds into or can be stored in the end frames to make it even more compact to store?

Bob

Bit like a 'Transformer' then :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Jul 2018, 08:47

RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:I wonder if there is scope to tweak the design whereby the top is in two halves and each folds into or can be stored in the end frames to make it even more compact to store?

Bob

Bit like a 'Transformer' then :D

Sort of lol. At the moment there are two very different sized parts to store and I thought it would be better if the parts were a similar size.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:18

You boys!

Yes, of course, you're all right.

I was following the idea that the original design came from a 4x2 piece of ply.

I should have done it the other way round, the length of each folding piece being able to fit between the legs when folded away. That then determines the length of the top.

I'll get round to doing it.

The original design and others I have seen had casters on the legs. I decided not to. The farthest I have to move it is about 3m. I think it is far more stable without casters. I can stand on it.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Return to Projects & WIP