It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:24

Moving a workshop.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Moving a workshop.

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 11 Jul 2018, 09:59

Hello, fellow forum-dwellers. I posted this on t'other-mobile-phone-based site, to get the widest exposure, so apologies if it seems familiar....

I am moving from Belfast to the east coast of Northumbria in about 6-8 weeks. I have the usual hand tools (read one supermarket delivery lorry 'cage') and a 6' bench that weighs about 0.25 tonne, as it has two commercial weaving loom frame-ends as legs(!). In addition, I have a Wadkin 10" AGS I am loth to part with, a 14" Crescent-clone bandsaw, 6' high and about 2' square, that weighs more than I do - as it's cast iron - a floor-standing drill press, an Elecktra Beckum 260C P/T, an APTC two-bag blower, a green/yella Record dustbin/hoover and a 5'-high cheap Halford's clone of a Snap-on toolbox, say, 2' square? Router table is more Bullar than Norm and includes a vacuum pump in its base. Then, there is the metal lathe...7'x4'x3' and it's SOLID - as in maybe a tonne. Wood pile? about same size as half/three-quarters of a Smart car. I wept as the rest went to recycle.

Push bikes? Four. Garden stuff? Yup, mower and one black compost conical bin, stuffed with handled tools etc.

Query: Does anyone have EXPERIENCE, not pub gossip, nor family/neighbour's related tales, EXPERIENCE of moving anything like this lot? Costs, glitches, recommended blokes, yada, yada???

I am tempted to sell at least the lathe here, possibly the AGS and bandsaw too, but I don't really want to hunt again for an AGS, given the hours of work I put into it and a new, shiny, shaky, Bosch starts at £500, damn-near.

Cast your polymerised gluten mass upon the crystallised steam surface*, do, please!!

Sam - in danger of divorce, or worse.

*"Cast your bread upon the waters"??
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Re: Moving a workshop.

Postby RogerS » 11 Jul 2018, 10:11

We used GB Liners to move our house, my workshop and LOML's garden when we came up to Northumberland. Not the cheapest but the best. We checked out all the competitors before deciding and yes there are cheaper people. But then you read the negative reviews.

So that's my advice. They will give you an honest Yes/No as to whether or not they can shift the heavier stuff. A lot of your listing is 'business as usual' for them and so maybe consider a 'man and a tail-lift and a pallet truck' for the heavier items.

I did have the details of such a man who was used to shift the Vigas wood-boiler for the guy who bought it off me. It was being shipped to a remote spot in Scotland without any direct road access ! He'd easily shift the heavier stuff. The bad news is that I might not have his details anymore. Will check.

But DO give GB Liners a bell.

EDIT: You're in luck. I still have the email address of the guy who bought the Vigas from me and so I've emailed him for Ian's details.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Jul 2018, 12:47

Sam....PM sent with the contact details. Let us know how you get on.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 12 Jul 2018, 09:20

Thanks Roger, got 'em. I'm going to be doing a lot of phoning and emailing over the next few days. Moving two households, as well as tools, as M-in-L is coming too. At 93, with new metal hip 28 days ago, this is going to be...fun?

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 12 Jul 2018, 09:30

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Thanks Roger, got 'em. I'm going to be doing a lot of phoning and emailing over the next few days. Moving two households, as well as tools, as M-in-L is coming too. At 93, with new metal hip 28 days ago, this is going to be...fun?

Sam

Oh me, oh my. OK..M-in-law first. If she is anything like my mother then she is a hoarder. Try and persuade her to throw stuff away/donate to charity shops. Start NOW! My mother has just been moved into a care home and the space in her room meant that a lot of stuff needed to go. It is difficult. We found it best to quickly walk her through the flat, get a feel of what was her favourite stuff, suggest other stuff to go. Then got her away from the place and went through it ourselves. There were initial grumps as to what was given/thrown away but that soon went. If you let her go through the house with you room by room then I guarantee that by the second room you will have lost the will to live.

Of course, your M-i_L might be nothing like my mother.

My advice to get in GB Liners just went up several notches in my opinion. Especially as you have two houses. They will co-ordinate it all for you. Get them to do the packing. OK...get some boxes from them and pack some stuff yourself but don't worry about potential breakages. These guys do it for a living and pack the stuff exceptionally well. We had zero breakages. Moving house is up there in life's top ten stress makers. You are doing two. Make it easy on yourself. :D

GB Liners are not cheap but ne'er was the adage 'You get what you pay for' more true.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 12 Jul 2018, 09:44

Roger, your mother sounds like a saint compared to my M-in-L. Lovely, warm, caring woman, but can she half go off at tangents! A conversation about a chair the other day - JUST A CHAIR - involved the fact it was her long-dead husband's chair, that it originated in a (now demolished) rural furniture shop, whose owner had had a daughter who had married....but before that, their cousin had been Rector of...and HIS brother was one of the first of that village to go up to university...in the days when there were no motorways and cross-country journeys involved stops to 'water' the dog...all that just to say: 'keep the chair'.

Afterwards, Meggie commented on the drive home that I was quiet? I replied it wasn't so much that I was "losing the will to live" as you put it, as trying to restrain myself from performing radical abdominal surgery with my nails on M-in-L, followed by cutting off her airway with her colon....

:D

Sam
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat