It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:24

Powerline extender problems.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Powerline extender problems.

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2018, 17:55

Any update, Malc ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jun 2018, 18:01

RogerS wrote:Any update, Malc ?

I've only just got back from taking the wkd SD's stuff to the tip (in Aberdeen) (and doing the odd DIY job) and have come back to a Mac that wouldn't start. So I haven't got round to doing Bob's job on my wiring, and I still need to ask him a question before I start.

So....some time during the week I should know if it's worked.

As Arnie used to say, I'll be back.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2018, 18:07

Malc2098 wrote:

.....have come back to a Mac that wouldn't start. .....

The 'wouldn't ' tense means you're OK now ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jun 2018, 20:12

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:

.....have come back to a Mac that wouldn't start. .....

The 'wouldn't ' tense means you're OK now ?

After a day's fretting and trying everything they say online, I reinstalled the OS: took over two hours, but everything's back and nothing's lost.

Heaven knows why it wouldn't start after a week or more of being shut down.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2018, 18:10

Here we go!!

I started to connect Bob's choke to my circuit today to see if that improved the issues with conductive emissions fro the LED driver for the LED panel light. I have to emphasise, I have no issues with the light output. They are outstanding one my view, compared to the fluorescent tubes in my garage.

I prepared everything.

fullsizeoutput_5b8.jpeg
(249.13 KiB)

I wired in temporarily to undertake the test. I wrapped the thin cabling of the choke in plastic tape to make up the gaps in the clamps.

IMG_2110.JPG
(188.98 KiB)

I switched it all back on. The panel immediately downstream on this circuit is still not connected, but the next one is. So the choke is upstream of them both.

IMG_2111.JPG
(134.85 KiB)

Switched the lights. Plugged in the powerline extender and let it settle down, then was able to let the iPad to connect to the extender.

IMG_2112.JPG
(188.96 KiB)

I opened up the BBC Radio iPlayer and again, it took a while to download, but it did, there was Tony Blackburn giving it large last Saturday.

But then the powerline data led went out, but the iPlayer kept on playing. I let it go for 10 minutes or so, then I tried to surf on Safari. That's when everything began to go bosoms up. Safari wasn't finding websites. Radio iPlayer stopped playing.

I switched the powerline off and moved it to a different socket. This time, after it settled down, the data LED intermittently blinked (is that possible? It went out and back on again, infrequently but regularly). I've not found anything online that describes that.

So I came indoors, disconnected the powering to the router and reconnected. I am typing this now and uploading to WH2 on the house powerline network. So that appear to be ok. I've also connected my iPhone and iPad wirelessly to the extender indoors with no problem.

So I am back to plugging the extender in an upstairs bedroom and getting a wifi signal in the workshop from there, not a good one, but a reliable one.

Bob, to my lay experience and futile knowledge, it was as if the choke had slowed down the data transfer through the electrical circuit to a crawl. Is that possible?

For some reason the powerline does not like my workshop circuits
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 11 Jul 2018, 21:50

Malcolm...as it happens I now have many spare LED drivers. I have been mixing and matching them up between different LED panels and there doesn't seem to be any conflict,they all seem to be much of a muchness. I can send you a couple for you to try to see if they are any better.

What's the situation with the vendor ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2018, 22:06

Rog, that's brilliant, thanks. I'll PM you my address.

The vendor of the panels, Denman's, has already given me replacement panels of different manufacture, but the results were the same.

The powerline vendor is Currys. I haven't approached them.

Both products do their job, but one interferes with the other when they are both on. I don't think, vendors or their distributors are going to be worried about one little shed in Devon when all the components are made in China to a cost.

There is something different about the the environment of my workshop, that the TP-Link doesn't like, but finds OK in my house. Maybe another make of powerline extender might not be sensitive to the conductive emissions. Maybe my setup facilitates conductive emissions. Who knows?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 12 Jul 2018, 06:46

Before I do that, Malc, you might want to take another look at the way you've connected things. I could be wrong but it looks as if you've got your mains supply coming in, routed through the ferrite bead but then goes back out to feed another driver/drivers ?

Malc driver.png
(1.93 MiB)

If that is the case then you've still got an injection of 'noise' into your mains cable feeding the rest of the lights which might be radiating into another cable close by and giving you your problem. If I am right then try disconnecting that outgoing mains cable and see what happens.

Incidentally for testing purposes there was no need to clamp the wire from the coil and/or wrap the tape round it.

And connect the LED panel to the driver shown in your photo. Not downstream.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jul 2018, 09:31

Thanks, Rog.

Before I do, I would like to let Bob comment. You are right in that the supply goes to the next panel. But it is a radial, so terminates at the next panel. Given the way I had trunked and 'conduited' the supply, I tried to get the choke as close to the first driver on the radial as per Bob's drawing. It might not be close enough, I don't know.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 12 Jul 2018, 09:32

Malc2098 wrote:..... It might not be close enough, I don't know.

But you've got one right there in your photo next to the ferrite ! I know the LED panel normally covers over it but for test purposes you could make a temporary sling for the panel and let it simply dangle.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat