It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:31

New roof on my workshop...

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

New roof on my workshop...

Postby Robert » 10 Jul 2018, 20:11

Having re roofed the garden shed with EPDM I've now bought some more for the more ambitious job of re covering my workshop roof.

30+ years ago I rebuilt our single garage and not knowing any better made the roof with 4x2 timbers and 1/2" shuttering ply. The 4x2's have stood up pretty well with only a slight sag so i have no intention of changing them. The shuttering ply however has sagged pretty badly between the rafters and in places the plies are separating so a new deck is needed as well as the covering.

Some very old wickes felt shingles and a view of the neighbours adjoining garage roof. When I rebuilt it all those years ago i made it big enough to get the then ford granada in, so my workshop is longer than the neighbours garage. (I came to hate that car for the way it wallowed).

The neighbours roof was replaced around 10 years ago. The roofer used hex head screws on the metal coping on my side. easy to remove. On the neighbours side they used 4" nails covered in silicone and covered with a hex plastic cover as used on the bolts my side. Most annoying.

Having twisted and pulled with a mole wrench I got some of the nail showing.

Keeping on twisting and pulling to get it out would have been depressing so I tried gripping the head with a drill

Run the drill and pull at the same time and bingo..

having confirmed the ply has had it I went off to get some 18mm OSB

Decided to start near the ladder so pulled up and bagged the shingles. took ages and the sun came out and made them uncomfortably hot. Put one of the OSB sheets on a stool on its end then pulled it onto the roof ready. All the time trying to step above the rafters not the middle of the dodgy ply.

looking the other way. can't just drop the bags of shingles as they'd split so will get some help to pass them down.

On the side of the lantern roof nearest the driveway you can see the EPDM that I rolled up then heaved up there to get it out of the way. man that stuff is heavy! On the garden side of the lantern edge coping stones is some lead flashing that I have pre formed for where the roofing meets the extension. i made a tracing of the brick lines and transferred it to the lead so it should fit when I get that far.

So one 1/2" ply removed and replaced with OSB. I did the cut piece below it as well before calling it a day.

I never like getting on and off the roof with the ladder resting on plastic guttering so i made a retainer out of 18mm ply

remove the clamp and i can take the ladder away. As it is i feel a lot more confident getting on and off as the ladder cannot move.

To be continued...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: New roof on my workshop...

Postby timothyedoran » 11 Jul 2018, 06:16

Looks like you had a very busy day. It will result in an excellent roof.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Andyp » 11 Jul 2018, 07:10

That looks like hard work Robert. I hope the weather holds for you.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 11 Jul 2018, 08:13

I like the ladder support, Robert. Do you get the 'Why don't you get someone in to do it ?' comment from your other half ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:24

Wow! Well 'ard, that man, in that weather!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 11 Jul 2018, 22:35

I heard those very words again today... "why don't you get someone in to do it?"

Considering it was a short day as I had to make pizzas for friends coming here to watch football I made reasonable progress. The far end was cut sizes which took longer than just laying an 8x4 and I got another whole sheet fitted.

You can also see on the old shingles where my foot went through whilst pulling the 8x4 up. That was interesting. Won't have that problem again though as I'll have plenty of good surface once the remaining 1/3rd panel is done tomorrow. The batten by the ladder is because my new smooth surface lets tools slide down the 15degree slope.

This last 8x4 didn't fit on the width by about 2mm so I buzzed the edge of the old ply off with my multitool. 8ft seems a long way with a multitool!

Need to decide if I need to buy 2 or 3 more sheets and get them tomorrow.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2018, 22:41

Coming along nicely. Shame about the football. Bet the pizzas were good!

While this weather seems like it's going to hold, I've got weather warnings for thunderstorms later in the week and when I looked at the warning map, it was just on the edge of London. They've been known to move. Hope you can either get it covered or the storms bypass you.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 22.38.24.png
(184.92 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 11 Jul 2018, 22:46

I'm chancing the weather as it hasn't rained here for ages. If it does rain whilst I'm awake it wouldn't take long to throw a tarp over it. And if it does rain during the night i don't think it will do too much harm as there is little underneath in the workshop that I'd worry about where the panel join line is.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 12 Jul 2018, 16:01

Started off a bit fresh feeling this morning so I hoped it might be a good day for working.

Then about 11am the sun came out.

Can you tell what it is yet?

a very old parasol that has been in the shed unused for many years now has a custom made 15 degree stand

That let me carry on working for a while. takes some time getting the nails out of the old boards and sitting in the sun is no fun.

around 2.45 it was getting too hot and moving the parasol (held with a single screw into the deck) was not so practical for a full 8x4... so I packed up for the day. 1 cut piece and 1 full sheet done.

And straight after I got everything down, the sky clouded over. I still don't think it will rain but as now most of the roof is exposed I put a tarp over for the night.

2 more part sheets tomorrow to finish off then start preparing for the EPDM to go on.

I'm thinking the rubber will be an early start thing whilst temperatures are more sensible.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jul 2018, 16:05

Easy as she goes.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 13 Jul 2018, 08:30

Good going Robert. 8-)

I don't envy you with this project, especially in the hot sun. :P
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Robert » 13 Jul 2018, 18:18

Another hot day. The parasol helped.

I've been standing a full sheet on my home made saw stool in order to pull it up onto the roof. The slightly over 1/3 pieces I've carried up the ladder. 2/3rds of a sheet needed some improvising..

Where the roof abuts the wall of the house I'd constructed a gutter that slopes towards the corner then has a route out to the down slope.

This was lined with that bitumen backed foil flash banding stuff. it worked and didn't leak but I don't trust that stuff as a long term solution. The epdm will be the new gutter liner. it's going to take some messing about to get the rubber in the right place. And then more messing about waterproofing with the special malleable flashing rubber. I can see that being a bit of a challenge.

Suppose I could have just boarded up to the wall but that allows water to pool against the wall. Will have to see how it goes. I have epdm offcuts from the shed so may try a practice corner to see how it can work out.

Boarding is now finished. still want to trim the roof edges before thinking about the rubber.

No picture but it is fully tarp covered should it rain.

Think I have a few splinters in my bum. Any volunteers?
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Jul 2018, 19:05

Nice job.

Splinters in your bum?!

I kept getting splinters in my hands and under my fingernails with OSB before I got wise and wore gloves.

I was still thinking my hands were like they were in the 60's unloading lorries of boards by hand.

When I joined the Police, the chap taking my fingerprints told me they'd soon soften up, and they did, and they still are! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 13 Jul 2018, 19:17

Why do folk go for EDPM as opposed to, say, glass fibre. I always thought that sealing the splits and corners and joins was always tricky to get right using EDPM. Great for a flat roof but not for nooks and grannies.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Jul 2018, 21:49

When I did my roof which adjoined my garage, I bought some corner pieces but in the end manufactured them myself using the “vertical adhesive”. Worked well.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 17 Jul 2018, 19:18

Aren't clouds wonderful? We had some today. Lots of progress without overheating.

Would have been nice if the clouds were continuous but I was grateful for some relief from the sun.

I had the weekend off. there was a brief rain shower Friday and the tarpaulins worked fine so had a break on what were 2 hot days...then yesterday was hot too so sat most of that out as well. Gave me time to think and the more I thought about the corner the less i liked how I had it before. So I cut a small square of this flashing material and just tried in on a bit of wood. The stuff is tacky on one side and you apply a primer to the surface you want to stick it to. I just tried it out with no primer.

I was impressed at how well it moulded and how well it stayed in place.

So I reworked the corner boards. I shimmed the rafters to create a fall towards the corner. That was it for yesterday.

Much simpler to deal with.

Then i reused the metal edging I made all those years ago and trimmed the drip edge. I also fitted some wooden battens to the roof ends to glue the rubber over.
Shame the metal was about 3 inches short on length but the gaps won't matter.

The EPDM is still ridiculously heavy and the sun kept being annoying by coming out. had to lay it so the corner to be cut out was pulled back.

I decided to cut at the corner first to mark where it was... and cut it at the wrong angle! Fortunately there was enough overlap around the roof to move the whole sheet and try again.

No in progress picture but I pulled the top down and applied the water based glue to the top 1/4 of the roof then put the rubber back over.

Then pull it up once the glue had set

Reading and youtubing about internal corners it seems best practice is to glue and mechanically fix some rubber in the corner then glue the EPDM over so at the corner it is a rubber to rubber joint. On youtube they had special washers for the screw fixings. i just put in lots of mushroom head screws.

I used more of the flashing material, this time with the primer. The primer is like thinned down rubber solution as used on bike inner tube repairs. Stuck well but I did the screws.

You use water based adhesive in the middle of the sheet and contact adhesive (think thinned evostik) around the edges and up any verticals. That meant I had to do the edge and some of the middle at the same time

That done it was on to the remaining half of the roof but avoiding a triangle by the wall.

And again both types of glue at once

Now on to the corner flashing. Primer is applied to the EPDM and the wall and is put on with a bit of scourer - which is to ensure it gets past the chalk on the rubber I guess. You fold the flashing lengthways and stick it to the wall first. You stop it sticking to the deck with the plastic it comes with. Then you work it downwards into the corner.

Then you take the plastic away and persuade the flashing to stretch as you work away from the wall and onto the deck.

Doesn't look too bad from a distance

After that I did the contact adhesive on all the remaining edges. i have some trims made up to screw over the edges but that can wait for another day.

And after that..

And it's not Stella. it is home brew lager and it went down well.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Jul 2018, 20:03

That looks like a work of art!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 17 Jul 2018, 23:34

Well deserved

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jul 2018, 13:04

That's a very tidy job, Robert. Do you have to paint it with any anti-UV paint ? What would you say the downfalls of EDPM were - if any ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jul 2018, 15:13

Hope you had more than one Robert, the roof looks excellent and I can taste that beer from here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby HappyHacker » 18 Jul 2018, 16:13

RogerS wrote:That's a very tidy job, Robert. Do you have to paint it with any anti-UV paint ? What would you say the downfalls of EDPM were - if any ?

I had the garage roof and two flat roofs on the house done with EDPM about 16 years ago. I have been very impressed with it as no leaks and no problems. I was told it did not need painting for UV. I had it professionally fitted as it was relatively new then and the there were not many people doing it. I have my fingers crossed that it will be good for at least as long again.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Robert » 18 Jul 2018, 17:08

RogerS wrote:That's a very tidy job, Robert. Do you have to paint it with any anti-UV paint ? What would you say the downfalls of EDPM were - if any ?

My rubber sheet was 6m x 3.5m (though they actually supplied 6.15 x 4m) and it was bloody heavy so that was a downfall when you are on your own!

I knew what I was doing more this time having done the shed a while back. On a slope you can't walk on wet glued area. So glueing the top edge and letting it dry made life a lot easier. The soft flashing stuff is brilliant and shows should a repair ever be needed it will be easy to patch. No maintenance or coatings needed and it has a rated life of 50 years so will see me out. It may only be 1.2mm thick but it is very tough and does not cut easy with a blade anything less than new.

Day out today. Still have the lead to do and edge trims to fix and final cutting off of excess rubber.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 18 Jul 2018, 17:45

Looks as if it's one of those products sold by lots of people. So how does one know which to go for ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 Jul 2018, 19:17

When I had my double garage done several years back by professionals, the big rubber companies used to manufacture it and gave a 25yr guarantee.
Nowadays other brands are around but they still give a 25yr minimum guarantee.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 18 Jul 2018, 21:58

RogerS wrote:Looks as if it's one of those products sold by lots of people. So how does one know which to go for ?

I have no idea how to tell what is good and what isn't!

Both my EPDM purchases came from a seller on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-to-5-5m-W ... 2674737412

The first time I bought what was advertised a a kit for shed roofs. EPDM sheet called polygomma brand along with water based adhesive and contact adhesive. I never used the contact adhesive on the shed as I had strong edge clamping with screwed on wood trim. I used that contact adhesive on the workshop. The polygomma stuff had quite pronounced seams where it was glued together from 1m wide strips but it was perfectly fine.

For the workshop I ordered the link above - classicbond brand. Price was very similar. The seams are much less noticeable and the surface finish more even. it also said 'made in the USA' on one side (now the underside) Says it is 1.2mm vs the sheds 1.1mm so fractionally thicker. I'd buy that brand again but doubt I'll ever need to. The flashing and 'primer' came from the same seller too.

EPDM was £166 and once the water based adhesive, primer and 1m of flashing tape was added the total came to £235. Then there was the OSB and fixings oh and the smallest roll of lead i could get. Still ended up cheap for the size of roof.
Robert
Old Oak

Next

Return to Projects & WIP