It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:43

The time has come...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: The time has come...

Postby RogerS » 13 Jun 2018, 07:23

Paul, this is for you, buddy. All the very best for the next chapter in an epic life.

[youtube]iESvFdkdLEc[/youtube]
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Jun 2018, 11:15

Proud to say that I have been one of the lucky ones to have a piece of your craftsmanship in my home.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 19:46

TrimTheKing wrote:Woohoo, winner!

Indeed you are chap. 8-)

I shall inform the jolly hostess ;)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 19:53

fiveeyes wrote:WOW,and DAMN..as has been said, much luck and skill with the new to us endeavor.
Do make as much as you can, in the future, Paul. I particularly, could not wait for one of your projects. A true craftsman you are.
All the best..............bill

Thanks Bill, that's very kind of you. 8-)

I will be setting up a small shop at home so I can make some pieces for Mrs P - she has a list of stuff to be designed and made. Sorting everything out is a daunting thought, but all going well, I should have a small workshop at home by Christmas or into early 2019. It's going to be a fraction of what I'm used to, but then, the pieces will be small to medium in size, so certainly doable. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Coley » 13 Jun 2018, 19:56

It's a shame to hear this. What about the tiger cabinet though ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 20:23

Malc2098 wrote:Well, one industry will be the poorer for your change, but another will be the richer.

And the old ladies.....they’ll just love you!

All the very best in this venture and somehow, keep in touch. In fact, a weekly missive on school runs on this forum will keep us entertained, I’m sure, like this one!

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/05/22/dad-helped-kids-school-trip-hilarious-tale-thats-never-good-idea/

Nice one Malc... :lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely brilliant! :lol: :lol: Poor old Simon - heart goes out to the dear chap. :P

Yep, my worst nightmare is exactly that - noisy out of control kids. Although Simon's experience is probably the worst ever - poor bloke. I've already had a taste of some misbehaving children in the minibus on short school run journeys. I had a school run a few weeks ago where the children were way out of control and the teacher had little influence on them, but fortunately, it was only a 10 minute journey each way. This was in a large spacious 16 seater minibus. A 50+ seater coach with loud smelly children on a 2+ hour trip could be very challenging. :lol: :cry:

When I start the actual coach work, I'm going to have 3 months of school kids :x but thankfully, it will be school runs and not tours. I guess it's taking the rough with the smooth. I've already learnt some tricks in how to deal with naughty loud kiddies;

(1) Shout with great volume and conciseness. "SHUT THE **** UP YOU ORRIBLE LITTLE *****!" :lol:

(2) Safely pull over, switch off the engine, pull out your newspaper, sit back and read it. :|

(3) I'm still thinking of a 3rd solution............. :eusa-think:

Some of my minibus runs have been giving the oldies a group outing and I've enjoyed them - we've had a giggle. I like the older folk. I have however noticed on the home journey, some of the old chaps (80+) have been slightly louder in their tone with plenty of the old school jokes flying around while the ladies are giggling away. I'm sure some of the old gents had a crafty pint while the ladies went shopping - bless 'em.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 20:28

RogerS wrote:Paul, this is for you, buddy. All the very best for the next chapter in an epic life.

[youtube]iESvFdkdLEc[/youtube]

Brilliant song and very poignant - thanks Roger! 8-)

Indeed matey, another chapter of life is about to begin - so exciting!

It's the feather on the breeze....

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 20:31

Andyp wrote:Proud to say that I have been one of the lucky ones to have a piece of your craftsmanship in my home.

Oh Andy, that's such a wonderful thing to write matey - you got me a tad emotional. 8-)

It's certainly a piece I too am very proud of - cheers dude. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 20:33

Coley wrote:It's a shame to hear this. What about the tiger cabinet though ?

Still in the grand scheme of things dear fellow... still in the grand scheme - oh yes! The old Tiger Oak will be purring sometime in the future - as sure as my ar$e is pointing downwards. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Coley » 13 Jun 2018, 20:35

Pinch wrote:

Still in the grand scheme of things dear fellow... still in the grand scheme - oh yes! The old Tiger Oak will be purring sometime in the future - as sure as my ar$e is pointing downwards. 8-)
I really hope so. The design looked gorgeous, the feet are works of art on their own !

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 13 Jun 2018, 20:37

Coley wrote:
Pinch wrote:

I really hope so. The design looked gorgeous, the feet are works of art on their own !

Cheers dude. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 14 Jun 2018, 08:22

I'm just back from holiday so just catching up with this.

Getting out of business will be a weight off your shoulders. The stress of getting the income to make a living and service all the costs involved can take away a lot of the satisfaction of 'working for yourself' - which of course you never do really.. you work for customers.

What I don't get from what you have said is why you need to stop completely. Some of your high skill pieces could surely be made in a home workshop without the commercial overheads. So why not do both? Work your bread and butter job and take the odd high value commission if it comes along and quote a long delivery time. From what you've said though it does sound like the driving will have long hours so maybe its not on.

My dad was a LT bus driver all his working life. He never complained about the traffic... the passengers were the problem :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Pinch » 15 Jun 2018, 08:52

Robert wrote:I'm just back from holiday so just catching up with this.

Getting out of business will be a weight off your shoulders. The stress of getting the income to make a living and service all the costs involved can take away a lot of the satisfaction of 'working for yourself' - which of course you never do really.. you work for customers.

What I don't get from what you have said is why you need to stop completely. Some of your high skill pieces could surely be made in a home workshop without the commercial overheads. So why not do both? Work your bread and butter job and take the odd high value commission if it comes along and quote a long delivery time. From what you've said though it does sound like the driving will have long hours so maybe its not on.

My dad was a LT bus driver all his working life. He never complained about the traffic... the passengers were the problem :)

Cheers Robert.... totally agree with you matey and I'm through with all the hassles of it - can't wait to be free from it. I still enjoy designing and tinkering around with wood, but the worries, pressures etc have obscured my love for the craft. I'm sure this will return when I'm making stuff for our home - no competitive pricing, no pressures etc. I don't think I'll even be interested in the occasional commission now. My heart is firmly set on the coach driving industry and I'm prepared to put in the hours and graft with a smile on my face to get to where I want to be - step by step.

Yep, your dad is so right as we probably all know throughout all industries... people are normally the problem. Service buses doesn't appeal to me - main reason why I'm funding the PCV CPC training myself. I've had a few part time minibus driving jobs over the years and I've experienced some challenging passengers, but my tolerance threshold with people is normally high - not so high with kiddies though, but I'll be a cool dude. :x
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 08 Jul 2018, 15:32

I'm so behind from a fried baby brain...

Paul you are without a doubt an excellent maker, I'm sure you'll be whittling little masterpieces from the cockpit of your international express while the old dears are up on the slopes for a days skiing...all the best with the new adventure and hats off for making the leap to a new dream.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 09 Jul 2018, 09:51

Good luck with the new career Paul

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 09 Jul 2018, 20:42

Jimmy Mack wrote:I'm so behind from a fried baby brain...

Paul you are without a doubt an excellent maker, I'm sure you'll be whittling little masterpieces from the cockpit of your international express while the old dears are up on the slopes for a days skiing...all the best with the new adventure and hats off for making the leap to a new dream.

Thanks Jim! 8-) Haha, yes indeed, I shall take a small tool bag with me and whittle a few spoons. I might be able to sell them to the old dears - bless. You've got me thinking now chap! Lovely jubbly... :eusa-whistle:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 09 Jul 2018, 20:46

Rod wrote:Good luck with the new career Paul

Rod

Thanks Rod - I'm very excited. 8-)

An old pal phoned me over the weekend out of the blue and I updated him with the new career change. He recalls me talking about coach driving 14 years ago and is very pleased I'm now doing something about it. 8-)

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 10 Aug 2018, 21:00

UPDATE:

There was a delay with my cat D provisional entitlement due to my medical examination. The DVLA medical department requested three more bp readings from the doctor because one of my readings almost a year ago was on the high side. On the day of the medical, the doctor took my current reading and this was good (140/80), then looked through my notes for the previous reading which was March time and this was also 140/80, but the reading last September was quite high - don't remember what it was. Anyway, the new three consecutive readings were fine; 130/80, 135/80. 137/80. Within two weeks of the doctor signing this off and sending the report to the DVLA, I received my provisional entitlement. This meant I could now book my theory tests.

I sat all three tests this week and passed all of them! :eusa-dance:

Multiple Choice Theory; Revision was to learn approximately 1500 questions & answers in The Official DVSA Theory Test book and also The Official DVSA Guide To Driving Coaches. The MC test is a 75 minute exam, 100 questions to answer - 85% and over is a pass. I passed with 100% correct. Oh yes, I was very happy with that!

Hazard Perception Test: I found this quite tricky. You have 19 video clips to watch on a computer screen with potential hazards and developing hazards. You score points by clicking the mouse when you see a developing hazard in the making. The sooner you see the hazard and click the mouse, the higher the points you score. Once the hazard begins, the score runs from 5 down to 1 while the hazard is happening. You can actually click too soon (as I did in practice). You then have to click again to be sure you're on it, but clicking too much (3-4 times) during the hazard will disqualify you from that clip and score no points. You can't random click either otherwise the programme will recognise this and disqualify you with no points. I was dreading this test and I fluffed up the first two clips, but then found my connection and passed the test. In all, there are 100 points to score, 67% and over is a pass and I scored 86%. I should have done better, but this is still a very good pass - very happy!

The last theory test is the CPC Case Study: Certificate of Professional Competence. You need this qualification to drive professionally. Similar to the Multiple Choice but in a case study format. I passed with a 90% score - very happy, but should have scored higher.

Now I've passed all the theory tests, I was then able to book the driver training which now starts next week - Monday to Friday intense training with the 2 hour driving & CPC test on Friday afternoon.

I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one of these big beauties.

Fingers crossed.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Aug 2018, 21:12

Great stuff, all done with nitty gritty Now the fun begins!

Orange smoke Rayban Aviators on

Toot toot!

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Aug 2018, 21:13

Yay!

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 10 Aug 2018, 22:18

Well done and good luck next week.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 09:40

Jimmy Mack wrote:Great stuff, all done with nitty gritty Now the fun begins!

Orange smoke Rayban Aviators on

Toot toot!

Thanks Jim, ah yes, the cool dude Rayban Aviators 8-) These days, my sunglasses are more of a hinged flippy jobby attached to my glasses. Mind you, I also have a special pair which are designed to go over one's glasses and they're very good, but a bit Joe 90'ish. :P

I've been thinking about getting a pair of those anti-glare glasses for night driving. :geek:

I'll probably invest in a pair of prescribed reactor lights and go for a cool dude frame. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 09:40

Malc2098 wrote:Yay!

Thanks Malc. 8-)

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 09:41

Rod wrote:Well done and good luck next week.

Rod

Thanks Rod. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 11 Aug 2018, 09:49

I'm imagining something along the lines of 'The Dude' from the Big Lebowski

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak