It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:07

Ding dong the bells are gonna chime...

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Ding dong the bells are gonna chime...

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 20:47

No not me! :P

My daughter is getting married in a couple of weeks and she asked me if I could make her up a cake stand using a sliced log.

So mother being mother was straight on the case and hand delivered two log slices to my workshop several months ago now - one pine and one oak. I left them lying around to dry out a bit and a few weeks ago, I started to work on them.

No WIP piccies, but I made up a carriage for the router to whizz over the log slice gradually removing all remnant chain saw marks and a good way to evenly flatten both surfaces. After this, I went through all the sanding grades to a final silky smooth feel. Shakes had already appeared in the slices which I think is rather cool anyway.

To add my little bit of creativity, I've also in laid 9 walnut grain pins representing the birth and circle of life. Georgie preferred the pine to the oak, so I pegged the twelfth ring in from the centre to mark the time her and Allen have been together so far. I attached a circular piece of ply to the underside as a bit of structural and also wrote symbolising the walnut pins and peg. The pine log is now finished (delivering it to mother's tomorrow) and has had 3 coats of pu top side and 2 coats of matt to seal the underside. I've also applied 4 little rubber feet to give the log stability and grip. It also brings a cool sort of floating appearance.

Here's the pine log.

Inside on the table with the flash.

The underside.

And here's the oak log which is for my niece who's getting married next year. No finish has been applied to this yet. I personally prefer the oak to the pine.

We did the rehearsal last weekend with the bride, groom, bridesmaids, best man (or men in Al's case!) etc, and mother asked me in front of everyone whether I've sorted out a suit yet. I replied, "No mother, I haven't quite finished making it yet!" :lol:

Who said something about plus fours and hobnail boots... :eusa-whistle:

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Ding dong the bells are gonna chime...

Postby Phil » 12 Aug 2018, 14:56

Nice idea Paul.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 12 Aug 2018, 17:32

Is the plywood disc to prevent further splits appearing?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Aug 2018, 18:11

Really nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 08:21

Phil wrote:Nice idea Paul.

Cheers Phil. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 08:23

Andyp wrote:Is the plywood disc to prevent further splits appearing?

Cheers Andy 8-) The original plan was to give the appearance of the slice floating with a shadow gap, but as they started to split, I thought maybe the plywood might also prevent further splitting, which it has so far. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 08:24

Malc2098 wrote:Really nice.

Cheers Malc. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP