It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:19

Raised fielded panels in ???

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Raised fielded panels in ???

Postby RogerS » 12 Aug 2018, 17:08

Wondering what people's thoughts were about making small fielded panels (with a small quirk) out of MR-MDF. Can one get a reasonable painted finish or does it get all furry ?

If it influences viewpoints, the finished pane size will be 660mm wide x 100mm tall..but those dimensions are not cast in stone.

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Raised fielded panels in ???

Postby MJ80 » 12 Aug 2018, 17:11

Its pretty good for that. Are you using a high build spray primer?
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby tracerman » 12 Aug 2018, 17:24

My only thoughts are - make sure the MDF is Medite . If exposing any internal parts of the MDF , coat these exposed parts with PVA and once hardened off sand smooth and use a decent undercoat . Try experimenting on some scraps .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby RogerS » 12 Aug 2018, 19:03

MJ80 wrote:Its pretty good for that. Are you using a high build spray primer?

LOL...no. Linseed oil paint. It's for the orangerie.

tracerman wrote:My only thoughts are - make sure the MDF is Medite . If exposing any internal parts of the MDF , coat these exposed parts with PVA and once hardened off sand smooth and use a decent undercoat . Try experimenting on some scraps .
Steve

Good tip re Medite, thanks.

Think I'll experiment with linseed oil. PVA primer and linseed oil will defeat the object of using the linseed oil.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 12 Aug 2018, 20:18

I'm guessing this is for the interior Roger ? Exterior mdf is slightly more expensive but is suitable for exterior use.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Aug 2018, 21:35

Coley wrote:I'm guessing this is for the interior Roger ? Exterior mdf is slightly more expensive but is suitable for exterior use.

No, it'll be outside. Thanks for the heads up on external MDF
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 12 Aug 2018, 21:46

Solid gives the best finish, and at that size you should be ok with movement. Tricoya is the best product, super stable but would take a bit of prep to get a good finish on the cut faces. Wouldn't use MR MDF, haven't used Exterior.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 12 Aug 2018, 21:54

I really wouldnt reccomend mr mdf for external joinery. Years ago I made a toy farm and spent hours making the mdf look like a slate roof. I had some spare and thought if I dunked the mdf in wood treatment it would be fine as a painted birdhouse roof. In the end I decided against it.
Not sure if you've seen this picture on ukws but I did a quick test to show the difference between mr mdf and exterior.
Exterior on the left vs moisture resistant on the right. I've got a built in bathroom cupboard to make for myself and thought it worth spending a little more for the exterior. The thought of having to remake it , then repaint it swayed me to spend the extra ££££ now instead of later

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 12 Aug 2018, 21:57

stu wrote:Solid gives the best finish, and at that size you should be ok with movement. Tricoya is the best product, super stable but would take a bit of prep to get a good finish on the cut faces. Wouldn't use MR MDF, haven't used Exterior.

It's just a shame tricoya is so expensive. Last time I used it,it was around £130 for 18mm ! Incredibly awesome stuff though.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby stu » 12 Aug 2018, 22:54

Coley wrote:
stu wrote:Solid gives the best finish, and at that size you should be ok with movement. Tricoya is the best product, super stable but would take a bit of prep to get a good finish on the cut faces. Wouldn't use MR MDF, haven't used Exterior.

It's just a shame tricoya is so expensive. Last time I used it,it was around £130 for 18mm ! Incredibly awesome stuff though.

£130 is nothing compared to doing it twice!

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 13 Aug 2018, 06:23

stu wrote:
Coley wrote:

£130 is nothing compared to doing it twice!

That's true I've just made a sapele front door with tricoya panels- its much easier spending other people's money

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby stu » 13 Aug 2018, 06:39

Tricoya, but not accoya? I always use accoya these days for painted work. It's expensive, but waste is low and you don't get call backs in the winter!

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Aug 2018, 07:33

Interesting discussion.

Stu's hit the nail on the head, I think, in that the panel size is better done in solid as it's relatively small.

I'm interested in the Tricoya/Accoya argument. Are they not 'equal' as it were ? I've got some external doors to make, one of which faces South (although how much sun it might get in a year is a moot point ;) ) and so making it out of an 'oya is starting to make sense. Do these woods require special cutters ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 13 Aug 2018, 08:03

stu wrote:Tricoya, but not accoya? I always use accoya these days for painted work. It's expensive, but waste is low and you don't get call backs in the winter!

Tricoya sheet cause it's painted I've heard mixed things about accoya. I bought a piece to put paint and varnish samples on.

Just as well it's only a sample piece. It'd look awful if it was stained - stripey zebra springs to mind

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 13 Aug 2018, 08:05

Never had an issue with sapele or utile for painted joinery so haven't found a reason to switch to accoya just yet

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 09:10

Roger, if the panels are only 660x100mm, why not use timber with the grain running the width of the panel? Or have I missed something. :eusa-think:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 13 Aug 2018, 11:48

Pinch wrote:Roger, if the panels are only 660x100mm, why not use timber with the grain running the width of the panel? Or have I missed something. :eusa-think:

No, not missed anything at all. I'd come to that conclusion after Stu's suggestion. Wealden do a nice router cutter. Only thing is I don't have a router table anymore :(
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 13 Aug 2018, 17:30

Coley wrote:
stu wrote:Tricoya, but not accoya? I always use accoya these days for painted work. It's expensive, but waste is low and you don't get call backs in the winter!

Tricoya sheet cause it's painted I've heard mixed things about accoya. I bought a piece to put paint and varnish samples on.

Just as well it's only a sample piece. It'd look awful if it was stained - stripey zebra springs to mind

Yeah, you need to buy in larger sections of you are staining it. It does look good though with a clear lacquer, sort of creamy!?!?
For painted work though, you can't beat it.

If you've never had a sapele door swell up and bind a little in the winter your either using larger gaps or a different kind of sapele than I used to use!!

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 13 Aug 2018, 17:43

Must be the larger gaps I reckon Stu Back in the day everything I made had 1.5mm gaps but quickly increased it to 2mm after a a lot of binding issues. The last few door jobs I've increased it even more to 3mm. I've seen it in a few door furniture brochures that that's the recommended gap so hey ho, ok then. By the time they slap on several coats of paint it'll reduce the gap a bit more. For windows I still allow 2mm all around.
What kind of gaps do you allow? 3mm seemed massive when I first started doing it but now I'm getting use to it. Hopefully the drip grooves and draughtstrips should prevent any rain from causing an issue.

Back to the accoya, so if I wanted a 20mm finished thickness, would I need to order it in as 1 &1/4 to be sure the bearer marks planed out ?

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby stu » 13 Aug 2018, 17:53

3mm gaps for me too, needs to be to allow for the seals.

Yeah, on the accoya, allow 6mm off each side and go from there.

Here's one I made earlier, just got back from site! The panel is solid accoya. First top coat before assembly and the final top coat after. You can just make out the grain coming through the finish which I like.Image

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Aug 2018, 18:25

I like that raised panel, Stu. How did you make it ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 13 Aug 2018, 18:36

It's called a cricket bat panel, and I did it on my cnc this time as I was in a rush. I've done them by hand in the past, you have to be really careful and watch your lines because it's easy to lose the sharpness of the corners. Very rewarding though when you get it right.

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 13 Aug 2018, 18:46

Phwoar !!!!! That door looks gorgeous Stu

Coley
Sapling

Name: