It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:23

Hello from Bristol!

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello from Bristol!

Postby brokentechie » 08 Sep 2018, 22:36

Hi all,

Just joined today and posted in the workshop builds section.

I'm not a woodworker at all, however the lovely wife and I have just bought our own house so from a background in aeronautical engineering and now ordnance/weapons engineering I am on a fast learning curve to most things domestic renovations - we have bought an ex local authority house which is solid but has some interesting quirks and sadly a few bodges along the way since the previous owners bought it from the council in 1989.

Plans for the future include building some nice understairs storage - Gucci type that is on runners and pull out from under the stairs, possibly a wooden framed porch under permitted development, and if I can get really good I may even have a go at a new kitchen!

Other hobbies include keeping tropical salt water fish and corals and the aquarium cabinet hinges have pulled from their mounts (poor QC off on the maker, but 3/4 tonne plus of saltwater, rock and glass is now on top of it making exchange impossible) so I'll also be looking for advice to remedy that too!

Right, it's ale time for me, nice to be here

BT

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
brokentechie
Seedling

Name:

Re: Hello from Bristol!

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Sep 2018, 00:10

Welcome aboard BT
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Sep 2018, 10:36

Just so Mark doesn't look lonely, welcome again!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 09 Sep 2018, 11:12

Another welcome from me here BT.

I too have a desire for some roll out storage under our stairs to make better use of what is a slightly too small dining room. Project is a year or so away I suspect but I like to doodle away at design ideas for things way before I actually make them.

I'll be following your shed progress with interest too.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby brokentechie » 09 Sep 2018, 11:22

9fingers wrote:Another welcome from me here BT.

I too have a desire for some roll out storage under our stairs to make better use of what is a slightly too small dining room. Project is a year or so away I suspect but I like to doodle away at design ideas for things way before I actually make them.

I'll be following your shed progress with interest too.

Bob
I've found in my designs so far that the heavy duty runners will be by far the biggest expense! I don't intend to skimp on them but I will support the leading edge with a small jockey wheel (fixed not castor) to support the large coat and boot storage bin so I don't necessarily need the heaviest duty ones at c. 150 notes a pair!

I'm renovating the house top to bottom so have nearly finished one bedroom so far. Hope to have the second done by Christmas and then onto the upstairs hall, stairs and entrance hall in the new year. That's when I will fit mine I so I can overboard and the plasterer can do the lot in one hit!

brokentechie
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 09 Sep 2018, 11:38

Hi BT,
I'd been thinking of full extension drawer runners for mine each capable of 45kg each from Buller - my favoured goto for drawer slides. Two at the bottom and one or two at the top. My units will rollout over carpet and I'd been considering a near full width roller for the jockey "wheel" rather than a castor that I feel would sink into carpet and not really contribute much load sharing.
The main application is storage of crockery and glassware to allow the disposal of a deep sideboard that currently robs the dining room of width and replace it with a much shallower dresser.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby brokentechie » 09 Sep 2018, 11:52

Nice idea on the roller Bob - we'll be going for decent laminate in the hallway (I'd love real wood however budget won't stretch to that!) hence idea of a jockey wheel.

I looked at full extension runners, I will likely only have two at the bottom so will build the units first, then weigh and choose runners to suit.

brokentechie
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 09 Sep 2018, 12:43

Ideal on laminate floor. Some of my units will be 4-5 foot tall and the idea of a top runner was to more keep the unit up right and in line with the frame as it rolls back on closure as well as taking some of the weight.

Sorry to hijack your welcome thread. If the discussion continues to run I might split it into two threads for clarity

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 07 Oct 2018, 09:02

Welcome from the very far South.
(It is summer 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) )
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Welcome (Introductions)