It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:21

Bosch PBD 40 Bench Drill

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Bosch PBD 40 Bench Drill

Postby themissingelf » 08 Sep 2018, 11:28

Normally I sway towards the affordable end of the pro tools and steer clear of "DIY" types. However... The Bosch PBD 40 bench drill seems to be remarkably well reviewed and has a number of benefits favouring the occasional user (e.g. electronic speed control vs changing belts about). It's light and therefore easy to move around etc.

Currently I used a Record Power drill stand. It's solid but a pain when it comes to adjusting the drill height. Also, the drill (ironically a green Bosch) held in the stand struggles.

Has anyone experience of the Bosch and / or alternative suggestions?

EDIT: This Rutlands one is well reviewed too.

Cheers
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Bosch PBD 40 Bench Drill

Postby HappyHacker » 09 Sep 2018, 20:57

I cannot comment on the two you have mentioned. I have a Clarke floor mounted drill which I thought was OK in terms of runout when I got it but after a few years with very little use I had to replace the chuck and arbour to get a a decent round hole. I know what you mean about changing speeds via the pulleys, for most jobs I tend to leave it on the last one I used.

I have had good experience with a couple of Bosch bits: 12" Mitre saw and small orbital sander. So if the cost is not the main issue then I would tend to go with the Bosch.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Woodster » 09 Sep 2018, 22:27

Most modern bench drills offered to hobbyists these days are of no comparison to the old British made bench drills. If you can get an old British one in good working order then that’s the best bet. Failing that it’s looking at the usual suspects like Axminster tools, Record power and Warco etc. There’s really no substitute for going and looking at a few models and getting hands on with them. What’s your budget and what sort of jobs will you be doing on it?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 11 Sep 2018, 16:11

Thanks for the input. I'm mostly woodworking but cannot exclude needing to drill metal occasionally (nothing particularly heavy duty). I quite often need to cut wood plugs. One of the reasons I like the easy speed change is that I want to be able to switch between drilling tasks quickly and easily. I know myself well enough to know I'll not want to start messing with belts but I'll also be quite fussy re accuracy and perpendicular holes etc.

I just want everything for as little as I can get away paying :D . By contrast, my budget can stretch beyond the price of the Bosch (£250) if I can justify it.

I like the idea of a "proper" bench drill - the heft, induction motor quietly whirring it's way effortlessly, he whole industrial-ness of it but the Bosch is far more practical for my circumstances. It's primarily the odd adverse comment about accuracy that is putting me off - particularly when the Rutlands one at £100 is described as being accurate!
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 11 Sep 2018, 18:26

While I have no problems with anything I have bought from Rutlands, I have have not noticed any negative reviews of anything on their website.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 11 Sep 2018, 21:29

HappyHacker wrote:While I have no problems with anything I have bought from Rutlands, I have have not noticed any negative reviews of anything on their website.

Yup...they are renowned for it.

I've not looked at their site for years having bought a lot of their excellent quality Dakota products.

Before I knew anything better.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 11 Sep 2018, 22:02

HappyHacker wrote:While I have no problems with anything I have bought from Rutlands, I have have not noticed any negative reviews of anything on their website.

Subtle... Thanks for the heads-up!
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Sep 2018, 09:42

themissingelf wrote:

Subtle... Thanks for the heads-up!

And here
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery