It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:25

Hello ............

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Hello ............

Postby Phil » 12 Aug 2018, 15:13

I have not been around much lately.

On a Tuesday morning a couple of weeks ago, our electricity sub-station burnt down. It provided power to a very large area, couple of Km2.
Looking at pics of the damage, repairs would take a few days.

My first concern was my German neighbour who is permanently connected to an oxygen machine. So I walked over, assessed and discussed the situation and short term solutions.
He had enough battery backup for a couple of hours (roof panels) but not enough to get through the night.
Decision – buy a generator with a self starter, they could then start the machine on their own.

A phone call from a friend advised that the closest large shops had long queues of people buying generators, so we then went to a Builders about 20Km away.
They did not have a lot of stock or a large selection.
So I bought a 3Kw self starter for my neighbour, a 2.7Kw for our house and a 1.2Kw for my other neighbour (she only wanted to run her fridge)
All 3 are Ryobi machines.

The self starter battery was faulty, so I had to pull start all three machines. (I am sure I tore a muscle in the right shoulder)

The 3Kw machine ran 24 hours, supplying power to the oxygen machine, fridges, deepfreeze and TV.
I had to fill all 3 machines regularly with petrol, and start them.
The 3Kw filling was at 06:00, top up 14:00 and fill up at 20:00 (there was a panic call one morning at about 5AM – petrol finished and battery power zero)

Our generator was sited next to the front door and garage door. Got hold of a nice hefty cable, fitted 3-pin plugs on each end. Plugged into the generator and the other plug directly into a wall plug in the garage. Switch off the Main on the DB board, start generator, and the whole house was powered! The only thing that would not work was the hot water heat pump. It pulled 1.2Kw to start which just kept tripping the generator.
So, cold showers are NOT OK in winter, we resorted to boiling water and washing.
Cooking was not a problem as we have a gas hob.

We were without power for 8 days while a temporary sub-station was built. As they were busy cabling, some ‘unknown’ people stole the cables faster than what they could connect them!!

Well what was I doing with my spare time, apart from budgets and dealing with old people?

Before the power came back on, the wife went into hospital, for 5 days, for a reverse shoulder replacement, right side. She is right handed.

This now meant that I became:-
The chief cook
The designated driver (at the least next 3 months)
The chief procurement officer (study the specials, check the prices, check expiry dates, check tomatoes are not soft, potatoes hard, bananas not bruised – a whole new experience!)
The clothes washer (I drew a very big line when it came to ironing)
The dish washer, drier and packer-awayer
The assistant physio exerciser
The shower helper (fortunately the one bathroom has a very large walk in shower) with a fold down seat
The hair washer

The first few days were not good, until she realised that the left hand can actually do a lot for her. Makes her own breakfast and lunch, and can wash herself. She can also dress herself and put the sling back on.
The physio started off at 3 times a week and now down to 2 per week. When we go for that, I do any shopping at the same time, and then I also cook for us using someone else’s hands and kitchen. 8-) (We are starting to run out of restaurants.)

Busy week this coming week. Physio, shopping, lunching out, cooking and then on Thursday I present the budget to the home owners. If accepted, I can then start with the financial year end.

I had more free time when I worked!

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Hello ............

Postby Andyp » 12 Aug 2018, 17:36

Phil wrote:I had more free time when I worked!

Phil

I’ve got that t-shirt too. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Aug 2018, 22:31

Bloomin’ ‘eck!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 08:20

Crikey Phil, you've had your work cut out there chap! Good on you! I bet your neighbours and wife are extremely grateful and appreciate your help. 8-)

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Rod » 13 Aug 2018, 13:56

I hope things get sorted soon.
Back in the 1987 Great Storm, we were without electricity for 3weeks so I can appreciate some of your problems.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Aug 2018, 14:59

Wow sounds like you've had your hands full mate. Glad you're back on your feet.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 05 Oct 2018, 16:06

One of our members has been doing this for years (looking after his wife), and I take my hat off to him!
:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

We are now getting back to normal, she can drive (Whoooopppeeeee!!!!!!!!!! :D ) I hate the shops with a passion.
I have my list what I want to buy and where. Maximum 10 minutes from time of parking.
None of this pussy-footing looking at all the shelves, shop to shop.

In between I have been busy on this flaming budget. These old people give me large pain in the scrotum area :evil: .
Then there is also Financial Year End. Just waiting now for the auditor to let me have the statements so that we can arrange the AGM where we can approve the budget and financial statements and elect a new Board.

O, yes, then I also had an emergency gall bladder removal (sh!!!!t I was ill) which was 5 days in hospital. They first pumped me full of antibiotics before they would operate.
The surgeon then asked what am I doing about the right kidney stone. That is now scheduled for blasting on the 15th October.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby fiveeyes » 06 Oct 2018, 21:37

Phil...when it rains, it pours!! ;)
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Oct 2018, 22:12

Bloomin' 'eck!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 07 Oct 2018, 00:09

Wow you have been through it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Oct 2018, 08:04

Rod wrote:Wow you have been through it.

Rod

Indeed, glad you've turned the corner.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 07 Oct 2018, 10:01

Thanks chaps.

We now have the spring/summer fever here, so lots more energy to get things done. 8-)
(Like hanging those cupboard doors that I took off and fitted more hinges a couple of months ago :oops: )

Phil
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat