It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:15

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Lounge roof)

Postby Mike G » 02 Nov 2018, 16:10

Thanks Michael. Kind words.

You deserve a medal for ploughing through that lot!!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Karookop » 06 Nov 2018, 17:51

Mike, as usual following your progress and the wide spectrum of your skills, my respect for what you have achieved so far. From early days dismantling the old structures and not always in the knowing of exactly what to expect, you always had solid solutions, executed in quality of work and material. Never cutting corners. (That we know of.. :) )
It is good to see the house is becoming proper home now, tamed and upgraded in style with a good mix of saving and preserving some of the ancient efforts the previous inhabitants and builders had contributed.
One thing that runs through all like a silver string is your excellent planning upfront and how things matched and lined up in the end.
So with all these accolades, when you have time again, please update us here in SA what the progress/plans are on your braai (barbeque for your friends in England)! Hope one day I can do a lekker South African braai for you at your home.
Well done!! :obscene-drinkingcheers: :eusa-clap:
Carel.
Karookop
Seedling

Name: Carel Kriek

Postby Mike G » 06 Nov 2018, 20:12

Thank you Carel. Nice to hear from you again.

I had a little think about the braai a day or two back, funnily enough. There are some awkward bits of brickwork to do where the curved walls meet the sides, and I scratched my head a bit over those for a few minutes. It certainly won't be happening until next year......well, next spring at the earliest. But if you are actually in the UK before I finish building it there is of course a really good temporary BBQ made from an old compressor cylinder which will do perfectly well for some pap en sous, boerwors, and a chop or two. Of course, with the braai we have some decent beers, which is something you guys struggle with. ;)

You're always welcome.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Front door stuff)

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2018, 13:33

Finally, after a 10 week wait, 4 keyed-alike sash locks arrived, and that triggered a bit of activity at the front door. First of all, we don't have a bell or a knocker.

That's a funny shaped piece of wood, Mike:

The bell pull had to be mounted in an unorthodox way because of the arched braces for the porch canopy, with the top element being rotated 90 degrees from the lower piece. Hence the funny shaped piece of oak:

The bell pull itself is a really nice bit of casting, but the screw thread used to join the two halves of the rod was appalling, and failed immediately. I welded it together instead:

Three metres away, inside, is the bell. There are various pulleys in between:

The awful stretchy nylon cord supplied with the bell will be replaced with some twisted wire cable (actually picture hanging wire) when that arrives.

Now, the lock/ latch. Firstly, the door is an inch thick boarded door, so a sash lock won't work in the ordinary way. A rim lock would be the usual answer, but the other three outer doors need a sash lock, and you can't get a sash lock and a rim lock on the same key without paying many hundreds of pounds so......

I then glued that all up:

Whilst the glue was drying, I decided I needed part of a wheelbarrow for the lock issue:

The following day I cleaned up the lock box, then did some drilling etc:

That's the woodwork done for the box. I set to with a file and hacksaw to sort out the metalwork:

I found a collection of gorgeous square headed black screws:

With a little box for the keep, it was time to screw that lot to the door (with the metalwork just resting in place):

After a bit of tiffling to get everything working smoothly, I obtained some old engine oil from my friendly local garage:

It wasn't really possible to take photos whilst using a blow-torch to get the metal glowing dull red, then plunging it repeatedly into the oil, burning off the excess, and repeating, but I did stop half-way through so that the before and after was obvious:

Once cool, I wiped them off, and screwed them in place:

Unfortunately those were all the screws I had, so I had to shorten some hand-made nails and use them at the ends of the straps:

Ideally, I would have liked a big black doorknob (and separate escutcheon) rather than a monkey-tailed handle, but I couldn't find any big ones with a return spring in them, which was essential for this latch.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Nov 2018, 14:20

Oh, that's nice!

'Tiffling'; not a word I came across in Middlesex where I grew up, Buckinghamshire where I spent two careers and Devon where I spent the last one!

Now, faffing, fettling and jiggling I have come across.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 21 Nov 2018, 14:42

Ingenious but poor wheelbarrow

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2018, 14:45

The wheel barrow was retrieved from a friend's skip for the sole purpose of supplying scraps of steel. It's got a solid wheel, and holes in the bottom that golf balls would fall through.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 22 Nov 2018, 00:35

I was only joshing Mike though I have a fondness for old metal wheelbarrows. I fished mine out of the River Wey back in 1970. It’s been outside ever since and still going strong, though it’s had a replacement wheel and tyre.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Nov 2018, 11:12

Rod wrote:I was only joshing Mike though I have a fondness for old metal wheelbarrows. I fished mine out of the River Wey back in 1970. It’s been outside ever since and still going strong, though it’s had a replacement wheel and tyre.

Rod

Sounds a bit like Trigger's broom! :lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (wood turning)

Postby Mike G » 26 Nov 2018, 21:31

Yeah righto! :)

There is some actual woodturning here, but not by me. DaveL of this parish turned up some pegs for me many months ago from some of my scrap oak, and with the front doors now in use we need somewhere to hang coats and the dog leads. Here is one of Dave's pegs:

The 16mm tenon needs to go into a hole in the porch frame, but I wanted it at an angle. Obviously this doesn't suit the square shoulders. I made up a jig to guide the spade bit, and drilled all the holes. I also drilled a hole in some scrap, and counterbored around it so I could knock the peg in far enough:

Then each peg was fitted in and the shoulders re-cut to suit the slope:

Finally, I bashed 15 of them into place, friction fit only:

Huge thanks, Dave. We get there in the end!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Nov 2018, 21:47

Nice.

Remind me of dolly pegs.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Nov 2018, 00:30

Lovely Mike, really nice.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 27 Nov 2018, 09:24

Thanks guys. I remember a rather indelicate expression from my youth which referenced "chapel hat-pegs", and believe I may have produced a similar look here. They'll look so much better when the porch is properly paneled and plastered.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Nov 2018, 09:44

They could equally be called Shaker. Whatever you call them they look good.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 27 Nov 2018, 09:52

I am pleased they look so good fitted. The challenge for me was turning them all the same, makes me relise skill of a production turner, being able to quickly produce lots of multiple copies of the job.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Nov 2018, 10:06

Mike G wrote:Thanks guys. I remember a rather indelicate expression from my youth which referenced "chapel hat-pegs", and believe I may have produced a similar look here. They'll look so much better when the porch is properly paneled and plastered.

It’s getting to that time of year again where ‘chapel hat pegs’ will be regularly visible in the wild...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 27 Nov 2018, 10:11

TrimTheKing wrote:
Mike G wrote:Thanks guys. I remember a rather indelicate expression from my youth which referenced "chapel hat-pegs", and believe I may have produced a similar look here. They'll look so much better when the porch is properly paneled and plastered.

It’s getting to that time of year again where ‘chapel hat pegs’ will be regularly visible in the wild...

True but ones to match the size and style of Mike's would be outstanding and worth seeing in the wild or domestically tamed! :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Nov 2018, 11:08

9fingers wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:

True but ones to match the size and style of Mike's would be outstanding and worth seeing in the wild or domestically tamed! :lol:

Bob

Indeed they would be a sight to behold!!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Nov 2018, 11:09

There you go. You boys are getting smutty again! :eusa-naughty:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Phil » 08 Dec 2018, 13:01

looking good Mike.

Like the door lock idea. :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Phil » 08 Dec 2018, 13:04

Malc2098 wrote:There you go. You boys are getting smutty again! :eusa-naughty:

With winter up North you should be seeing a lot of spotlights :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2018, 13:53

Phil wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:There you go. You boys are getting smutty again! :eusa-naughty:

With winter up North you should be seeing a lot of spotlights :lol:

Used to be called Foden push starts down here!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Phil » 08 Dec 2018, 16:13

Ok, lets get back on topic! :lol: :lol:

Phil
Old Oak

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (oak paneling)

Postby Mike G » 24 Dec 2018, 20:44

For three years now the kitchen has been open to the hall, and with a couple of spare days available, I thought I would begin the infill process. This is the oak screen which forms the kitchen wall (and holds up the extension). I'd already battened the openings when I remembered to grab my camera:

Those openings were pretty regular when I built the framing, but vary a lot now. One of the openings is 15mm wider at the top than the bottom, for instance. To make life a bit easier, I decided to cut some oak faced ply as a permanent template, so to speak, by trimming them to fit the openings exactly:

I then took that into the workshop, where I found some off-cuts from my collection:

I cut these roughly to length and planed up a face, having worked out my cutting list:

Then using this:

and this:

I ended up with these (12 x 40 x varies):

I then cut and carefully marked the outer frames to suit each opening, pinned them in place and adjusted in situ with a block plane. I then cut the intermediate pieces and fitted it all together, dry:

That entailed lots of fine tuning using the shooting board:

You'll all know by now the importance I attach to stopped chamfers, so you won't be surprised that they're next on the agenda:

After a lot of cleaning up, another dry fit:

Finally, it was glue up time, then cleaning up, and finishing with a couple of coats of water-based lacquer before fixing them in place from behind:

They go nicely with the front door, which will remain in view even when the rest of the wall is complete (it will be glazed with leaded lights):

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (oak paneling)

Postby DaveL » 24 Dec 2018, 21:15

Very nice, I bet the dog used to walk though that gap!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP