It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:21

Is Preppin Weapon the Best Sanding Block in the World

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Is Preppin Weapon the Best Sanding Block in the World

Postby PJM » 12 Nov 2018, 19:15

Hi Guys,

I am a Mens-Shedder and here is a review I have sent for submission for a recent purchase on Ebay, but is also elsewhere and direct website.

As a Shedder who attends every Tuesday 11-4 I do a fair bit of sanding to finish items, and I have to say it is not the most fun and I like to do it as efficiently as possible taking the least time possible.

I am therefore an enthusiastic user of this product ( and also my new magnetic wrist band for tacks ,screws etc.

I therefore have attached what I said after buying my last Preppin Weapon as it explains how I use it.

Review
I am so impressed with My Preppin Weapons, that this is the 3rd one that I have bought. I bought my First one from the United States after reading amazing reviews from there. As always I only get one to be sure that it is as good as it says it is.

Very soon after the first use, I was so impressed with Zero Sanding Paper Wastage, and the sheer comfort of the fit in the hand, and with the larger size the sheer time saving with its Efficiency, and almost a pleasure to sand, Who Would Have Thought !

Now I want to save more time so wanted a 3rd so that I can label each of the 3 colours (yellow, blue and purple) with the colour and grit with description for ease of use and no changing sandpaper required ie" Purple 320 Grit Fine sanding between coats.

I was delighted to now be able to buy them in the UK as the first one I ordered from the US for over £40 and 3-4 weeks for delivery.

I therefore have no reservations about giving this a 100% 5Star rating, and in the future intend to buy a 4th for misc grits and Wet and Dry applications as when using in a bucket "THEY FLOAT" so no raking around wrist deep in dirty water.

Have a Good Day

PJM
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Re: Is Preppin Weapon the Best Sanding Block in the World

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Nov 2018, 13:11

Hi Peter

Just for your information (I know we have discussed this on email, but for everyone else's information too), we have very clear rules on advertising products with which members have an affiliation which is why your initial post was declined. So long as this is the case here then there's no issue but we are constantly monitoring these things and if any affiliations are identified (in this case or any others) then posts will be removed.

That having been stated, if I can offer an observation... You are clearly very happy with this product, but in all honesty hand sanding isn't something I can ever get excited about, never mind buying multiple versions of the same thing to save time.

My understanding of the Men's Sheds initiative is that it gives men who may have social challenges, loneliness, out of work etc a place to g, meet like minded people, do something constructive in a relaxed environment etc.

What exactly are you doing that requires such high levels of efficiency in sanding, dual drills etc??? Sounds much more pressured than a relaxing time knocking around in a shed and talking tools...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Probably not to be honest.

Postby 9fingers » 13 Nov 2018, 13:56

Hi Peter,
Just recently I have been doing more sanding than I ever thought possible whilst stripping and refinishing 8 armchairs.

image.jpeg
(346.16 KiB)

Whilst there were some flat surfaces most were curved and I found I used my goto sanding block, a Mirka with inbuilt dust extraction port, got surprisingly little use. I can't recall what it cost but was certainly less than your preppin' blocks and to me, far more useful. The dust extraction is very useful to avoid sanding dust causing micro scratches when working with the finer grits prior to using clear finishes.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby PJM » 14 Nov 2018, 01:02

Whilst Mens shed does indeed give purpose to those bereaved, lonely and with some medical impairment, we are by no means all in that category, just retired or some not even that.

In fact I have just returned from playing a squash match, and have been to the Airfield today where I fly my Glider, along with all the other things I do, I can only manage once a week at mens shed.

We do however not just bang bits of wood together, and one of the longer standing members (also committee member) brings in 3 Cordless Drills with him, although I do not intend to do that.

We not only make all sorts of Bird Tables, Bird boxes, pens, benches, windmills clocks, walking sticks and make commissions from people who call or place an order at local fetes, flower shows or our own.

We take it very seriously and take pride in the quality of our work and constantly give each other advice or help the more challenged members.

Whilst your still vertical,
Make the most of it.

PJM
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Postby PJM » 14 Nov 2018, 01:15

For 9 fingers, Good luck with so many chairs, It is horses for courses, and for difficult shapes or access sanding, I have a set of 3 model craft Spring loaded shaped finger sanders with replaceable grit grade bands for this type of work, and an orbital sander for massive areas. I just find that the speed of grabbing a colour of Preppin Weapon of a certain grit saves me so much time, as humans being humans might just use what is on the block and not go to the trouble of changing the grit.

Mens Shed has taught me a lot about time and motion as we can only get a certain amount for each item we make (what people are prepared to pay) which has no relevance to how long it took to make.

We therefore need to use slick and time efficient means to make high volume items quicker to keep the price down.

PJM
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Postby Rod » 14 Nov 2018, 01:23

Like Bob I find the Mirka system takes some beating- the porous nature of the base and abrasive sheets makes extraction a dream.

Pad base and long extraction pipe was about £30 when I bought mine.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Nov 2018, 20:14

Another vote for the Mirka hand sander, it was a revelation to me having tried all sorts of blocks in the past. It almost makes sanding pleasurable, I did say almost. The dust extraction is excellent.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Mike G » 15 Nov 2018, 08:38

Sheesh.......really?

Sandpaper and a block of wood. Same job, one five hundredth of the cost.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby will1983 » 15 Nov 2018, 10:02

Mike G wrote:Sheesh.......really?

lol you took the words right out of my mouth Mike..

Rant topic 1;
I see loads of jig/tools/gizmos/thingamabobs on the internet for sale and just can't work out why anyone would spend the ridiculous amounts of money the manufacturers are asking for them. I'm sure they work great but most of them can be made in a matter of minutes by someone with at least a modicum of common sense. Sanding blocks, 90 degree corner clamps, tapering jigs, router sleds, drawer slide jigs, drawer handle jigs to name a few off the top of my head..

Rant topic 2;
The same goes for the amount of youtubers that make something really simple in a video then say "The plans are available on my website". These projects are usually so simple that I can't help but think that if you need plans to build it then you probably shouldn't be let loose with the sharp spinning tools. However there must be some people buying these drawings or the creators wouldn't go to the effort of drawing and publishing them. I bought the plans to the Matthias Wandell Bandsaw I built but that is a complex piece of machinery, not a spice rack!

Ok rant over.. :oops:
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 15 Nov 2018, 11:13

Well all I can say is that you haven’t tried it because if you had you would not go back to ordinary abrasives.
The Abranet sheets are porous, extremely durable and with extraction dust free. Great when decorating or using indoors.
The £14 block is a great investment.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Nov 2018, 14:05

Don't know if Will is referring to the Preppin Weapons or the Mirka - or maybe both :)

For flat surfaces I have found that nothing works better than a cabinet scraper.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby will1983 » 15 Nov 2018, 15:42

Andyp wrote:Don't know if Will is referring to the Preppin Weapons or the Mirka - or maybe both :)

For flat surfaces I have found that nothing works better than a cabinet scraper.

Andy, I love cabinet scrapers, they are one of the tools that are on my bench all the time.

I was referring to the prepping weapon thingy actually, £20-£25 for a block to wrap sandpaper round is just daft. I bought a proprietary sanding block once when I was into painting cars, I think it was about £7 from the paint suppliers, still got it but rarely use it these days.

The Mirka thing at £14 is not bad actually, I probably won't ever buy one but would maybe consider it based on its dust extraction feature.

Sandpaper wise I only use Mirka's disks and backing pads on my RO sander, they are really good on the extraction front but I do find they require a bit of a gentle touch to prevent them from tearing when sanding near corners.

Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Apr 2019, 11:10

HappyHacker wrote:Another vote for the Mirka hand sander, it was a revelation to me having tried all sorts of blocks in the past. It almost makes sanding pleasurable, I did say almost. The dust extraction is excellent.

The Mirka hand sander is a fantabulous bit of kit. When it's hooked up to my NVD 750 suckage machine, there's no dust. None.
Mike G wrote:Sheesh.......really?

Mike, I know it'll irk somewhat and will be really tuff going, but you really, really do need to drag yourself into the 21st Century :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Apr 2019, 11:21

Woodbloke wrote:........Mike, I know it'll irk somewhat and will be really tuff going, but you really, really do need to drag yourself into the 21st Century :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob

Why?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 21 Apr 2019, 11:55

I bought the Mirka block & hose for £20 recently with a few Abranet sheets from the midlands show & used it on the bunk bed I made, it really is a sterling piece of kit with no dust, my lungs are well worth the outlay.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Apr 2019, 12:43

Doug wrote:I bought the Mirka block & hose for £20 recently with a few Abranet sheets from the midlands show & used it on the bunk bed I made, it really is a sterling piece of kit with no dust, my lungs are well worth the outlay.

Mike G wrote:
Why?

They're your lungs Mike, not mine :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Apr 2019, 14:17

Well, A/ I don't do much sanding (I've got planes and scrapers), and B/ these old lungs are in reasonable nick. I've got a thousand mile bike ride in a few weeks time......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Apr 2019, 14:48

Mike G wrote:.... these old lungs are in reasonable nick...

Same as me and my 'tubes' are somewhat older than yours :D , but I still don't take chances with fine dust if it an be avoided and the Mirka hand sander + decent vac is a good way of doing it - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 22 Apr 2019, 09:24

+ 1 approval for Mirka Block. The above points made re dust, and Mirka's extraction of, are the pivotal point here. I default to wheezing, very quickly in dusty atmospheres, and find that the Mirka, even on ceilings or walls prepping for paint, leaves me clear of exacerbated symptoms. The durability of the sheets seems, subjectively, to be longer than conventional 'sand'paper too. Helps that you can wash'n'dry them.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Return to Finishing