It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:46

Sunburst Dining Table - WIP. *** NOW FINISHED ***

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Sunburst Dining Table - WIP. Photo heavy! Stage 2

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Nov 2018, 12:03

I really like the idea of that 'bricking' method.

(BTW, reminds me of the old joke about bricking a camel! :lol: )
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerM » 17 Nov 2018, 12:38

Malc2098 wrote:I really like the idea of that 'bricking' method.

:lol: My thumbs don't hurt - honest!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Nov 2018, 13:47

RogerM wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:I really like the idea of that 'bricking' method.

:lol: My thumbs don't hurt - honest!

Ha! You must be older than me, Roger! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerM » 23 Nov 2018, 20:05

I’ve been working my way methodically around the circumference, glueing 3 pieces at a time and clamping down with platten and cauls. The first thing I discovered was that when I overlapped the veneer with the platten I had no way of wiping away the squeeze-out, and that made it difficult to get the adjacent piece to pull up to it when I came to attach the next group of 3 veneers! Lots of tedious cleaning up to do to remake the next join.

My solution was to cut the edge of the platten along the radius of the table so that it lined up with the edge of the piece of veneer being glued. This made it much easier to wipe away any squeeze out, but no matter how much I tried there would still be a meniscus of glue along the base of the join. With the veneers being 1.8mm thick, I took a small chamfer off the edge of the underside of the veneer so that it was slightly undercut, but still with a flat edge. This enabled me to wipe the squeeze-out away almost completely, and by taking a slight chamfer off the edge of the next piece it would then pull together easily.

DSC07154 Platten.jpg
(236.22 KiB)

Although this is the underside, I’m still going to insert a string between the cherry and the maple for practice. In the event that I have a catastrophe on the top hopefully the underside can used. A bit like having a “double A side” for those who can remember back that far. :)

I cut some 1.8mm veneers of a piece of ebony and a similar piece of sycamore, and I glue these together back to back. Then I run them through the drum sander until the combo is 3mm thick, ensuring that I take the same off each side so that I end up with 1.5mm of both sycamore and ebony. Then I cut it into 5mm strips on the bandsaw, having taped a zero clearance piece of scrap veneer into place to support the string offcut.

DSC07158 stringing cut.jpg
(252.06 KiB)

Now to cut a 3mm groove 4mm deep along the join between the cherry and the maple using the router and trammel. This is a bit nerve racking, although made easy because the centre pivot has not been moved since making the earlier cut.

DSC07162 trammel.jpg
(253.37 KiB)

I apply TB1 to the groove and the string taps into place, standing about 1mm proud above the surface. I screwed a couple of pieces of scrap veneer to the underside of the trim router, bridging the cutter. This allows the cutter to be lowered to within a “gnats” of the table surface, and I can trim the bulk of the surplus string away. The final levelling is done with a scraper.

DSC07172 underside.jpg
(266.13 KiB)

DSC07171 string line.jpg
(252.26 KiB)

I’ll cut it to size after I’ve veneered the top. That’s the underside of the table completed, and I’m not unhappy with it. If push comes to shove it would do as the top side which takes the pressure off a bit. I’ll get stuck in to that over the weekend.
Last edited by RogerM on 23 Nov 2018, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Re: Sunburst Dining Table - WIP. Underside complete.

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Nov 2018, 21:06

That's tasty!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 23 Nov 2018, 21:44

I haven't the nerves for stuff like that. Honestly, one tiny little wander off line, one kick when the router plunges into the wood, one slight wobble on the centre pivot, or a tear as the cutter goes across the veneer end grain.........no it's too much for me. Lovely to watch, though.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Nov 2018, 00:24

Lovely work

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 24 Nov 2018, 01:03

I can’t believe that is the underneath excellent work.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Coley » 24 Nov 2018, 06:27

Absolutely beautiful work ! Enjoying watching this

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby DaveL » 24 Nov 2018, 08:23

I am with Mike on this, thank you for posting it's a really good watch.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 24 Nov 2018, 12:38

Seems such a shame that that will, hardly, ever be seen.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerM » 24 Nov 2018, 13:31

MY63 wrote:I can’t believe that is the underneath excellent work.

Andyp wrote:Seems such a shame that that will, hardly, ever be seen.

Don't speak too soon guys :D . This is a "win win" situation. If I have a disaster with the top, then this may become the top. If the top goes well, then it means it's better than the underside in which case I'll be quite happy. It would however be a shame if my prize plank of birdseye maple ended up on the underside.

"Sunburst veneering" the underside has done what I wanted it to do - i.e. taught me loads. Whilst making the miniatures was a great learning exercise, there were problems when scaling up which this has taught me how to deal with. So now - to infinity and beyond! :lol:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby RogerS » 24 Nov 2018, 14:51

I'm really enjoying this, Roger. Quality work.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Dec 2018, 19:00

(Makita) I agree it is lovely! .... I've recently bought the cordless version... It's taken it to another level!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Dec 2018, 19:14

The veneer work looks mega Roger. This is indeed a brave project.

Re: the apron.... Do you have a bag press?

I'd probably press laminations over a caul, the brick method looks a bit of a hassle to me.

You could also clamp them in between a male and female caul.

Maybe use 2.5mm constructional veneers or bendy ply, bendy would get the thickness up quicker.... How handy is your bandsaw? You could get your constructional veneers this way.

Do you remember my round oak table thread? Not a beauty like yours Roger, though I pressed my aprons, if it helps.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 05 Dec 2018, 22:08

Jimmy Mack wrote:The veneer work looks mega Roger. This is indeed a brave project.

Re: the apron.... Do you have a bag press?

I'd probably press laminations over a caul, the brick method looks a bit of a hassle to me.

You could also clamp them in between a male and female caul.

Maybe use 2.5mm constructional veneers or bendy ply, bendy would get the thickness up quicker.... How handy is your bandsaw? You could get your constructional veneers this way.

Do you remember my round oak table thread? Not a beauty like yours Roger, though I pressed my aprons, if it helps.

I'm coming round to your way of thinking Jim. I've got some air dried Ash which should bend nicely and 8 x 3mm or 4mm bandsawn veneers, with a cherry surface veneer, should minimise spring back. The only downside is that the Ash is at the bottom of my timber pile so I'll need a dry day to get at it! In the meantime I can be making a former to put on the vacuum bag.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby fiveeyes » 06 Dec 2018, 03:54

That sir, is just outstanding!! I am looking forward to the top. :text-bravo:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 07 Dec 2018, 21:44

fiveeyes wrote:That sir, is just outstanding!! I am looking forward to the top. :text-bravo:

Thanks fiveeyes. Patience - it's coming.

I started to tackle the top in exactly the same way as the underside. I had some cherry 60mm thick and 240mm wide. The central disk will be 1,000mm in diameter, so 3143mm in circumference. This means that I need to get 16 veneers from my stock, each one 200mm wide. That allows 3.75mm per veneer. I want each veneer to finish at 2mm thick, so need to cut them at 2.5mm to allow for any unevenness in the cutting, which I can take out on the drum sander. I need to keep reminding myself that every veneer will end up at the thickness of the thinnest piece. That’s an allowance of 3.75mm per veneer including the kerf, so having practiced on some scrap it seemed doable. When I came to cut the cherry, I ended up with only 14 veneers. Bummer! That’s not enough to get a symmetrical and uniform starburst. I decided to try again, and again I ended up with 14 veneers. Double Bummer!!

Anyway - it is what it is. I went on to cut the birdseye maple (BEM) veneers and guess what? Without touching the set up of the bandsaw I got 7 veneers from a plank just 22mm thick. That’s only 3.14mm per veneer, including the kerf. That means I should have got 19 veneers from the cherry. Go figure! I don’t understand it! The key thing is that I now have more than enough of my prized birdseye maple, so it’s not a disaster. These are stacked “in stick” indoors for just over 2 weeks to allow them time to stabilise.

I decided that the way forward would be to use equal veneers from both sets, in alternating pairs of 2 bookmatched veneers. I cut a template from some scrap ply to get the angle right in the centre i.e. 22.5 deg. . Here is the disk set out with one set of segments from one batch in place, and the others ready for cutting into segments.

DSC07173-1.jpg
inner cherry layout
(230.55 KiB)

The end pieces of each semicircle were cut oversize to allow for trimming, and also to allow room for further shrinkage, having learned the hard way with the underside. Here are the two sides roughly laid out and ready for each edge to be shot straight ready for joining, which I do as before using the router on a rail technique.

DSC07174-1.jpg
rough halves
(209.27 KiB)

Here are the 2 sides assembled ready for trimming and joining together.

DSC07179-1.jpg
taped halves
(246.37 KiB)

I draw a line along the edge and leave it a couple of days to see whether there is any further shrinkage across the grain. Hooray - there isn’t!

DSC07180-1.jpg
shrinkage check
(176.06 KiB)

I rough cut the 2 halves to size in a straight line with a hand saw, leaving perhaps 3mm to be removed accurately. Time to shoot the 2 halves straight, ready for joining which I do as before using my little Makita trim router on a Festool rail. This works particularly well for this task, as one half of each cut is against the grain, so would be difficult with a hand plane on a shooting board. Even so, I take it slowly, just trimming away about 1mm at a time with slow passes of the router.

Before joining the 2 sides together I place them on the table and line up the focal point of all the segments with the precise centre of the table. It is much easier doing it now rather than when the disk is assembled because I can actually see the central point. Then I draw around the complete disk, so that I can place it in exactly the right place when assembled.

Having joined the 2 halves together, I immediately glue them to the table top as I’m not going to give it time to move, again using West Systems epoxy with the 206 slow hardener and colloidal silica as a thickener exactly as before. Remember to mix the resin and hardener well first, and only then add the thickener. This is because the 206 hardener is much thinner than the resin, and the thickener would soak it up and the curing would be uneven. There is over an hour of workable life once mixed so I can be calm and methodical setting it up. Then into the vacuum bag for about 6 hours. Once it starts to go off - about 90 mins - I cover it with an electric blanket and duvet to speed up the curing. At least then it is sufficiently cured by the evening to be able to turn off the pump!

DSC07181-1.jpg
pumping
(315.73 KiB)

Once out of the bag I take off the tape so that the adhesive isn’t left on the surface of the table. The central points have pulled in nicely.

DSC07184-1.jpg
central point
(176.55 KiB)

Next job is to trim the cherry circle to its final diameter, so on goes the router and trammel again, just like last time, so no new photos. Then I arrange the BEM veneers around the circumference, bookmatching where possible, and making sure that they are all approximately the same width. The width of the veneers dictates that there needs to be 20 pieces, so to ensure even spacing, I make sure that each quadrant has 5 veneers, and shoot the edges to join them together and glue them to the table, 2 at a time this time, just like I did on the underside, using a plywood platten held down with cauls. The final piece is cut marginally oversized, so that it is a snug fit just short of the cherry disk.

DSC07186-1.jpg
last piece - slightly oversize
(212.44 KiB)

Then I take a thin shaving off the edges, retrying after every shaving, until it is a snug fit. I focus on getting the sides right as the join with the cherry will be filled with a 3mm string of ebony and sycamore.

DSC07189-1.jpg
last piece - snug
(158.25 KiB)

Time to cut the groove for the stringing again. I have to confess that this is when my bum starts blinking like a camel in a sandstorm! :lol: On with the trammel again, and line up the 3mm cutter with the join between the cherry and BEM.

DSC07192-1.jpg
line up the 3mm spiral down cutter
(252.17 KiB)

I’ve attached a mini LED spot light to the trammel arm which makes for really good visibility. I have a couple of these which I also use on the band saw and router table. I then slowly walk one full circuit with the router to make sure it is lined up with the join all the way round. No reason why it shouldn't because the pivot point has not been moved, but always nice to get confirmation. It also helps ensure that everything is tight, not moving, and that there are no trip hazards.

DSC07193-1.jpg
trammel set up for stringing groove.
(267.14 KiB)

I check that all the thumb nuts are tight and that the cutter is firmly locked in place. The strings have been cut 5mm deep, so the groove is going to be 4mm deep. Close the garage door so no one coming up the drive tries to speak to me mid cut (the buggers invariably do), take a deep breath and go for it.

DSC07194-1.jpg
Groove cut.
(268.36 KiB)

All goes without any drama. Yay!

For the underside I trimmed the excess string off with a router, but this time my nerves won’t stand it, and having left less string proud of the surface - around 1mm or less - I trim it flush with a scraper. Far less harrowing!

DSC07196-1.jpg
Trim excess with scraper.
(298.03 KiB)

All comes out nicely. That’s the top more or less complete.

DSC07199-1.jpg
top stringing.
(281.83 KiB)

The trammel hub will remain in place as it will be needed to trim the table to its final diameter before fitting the 25mm wide cherry edging. However, I’m leaving that for the time being so that the edge is less prone to damage.

DSC07200-1.jpg
top complete
(239.08 KiB)

I’m not unhappy with the result. The BEM really “pops” in the light, and almost seems to "flash" as you change your viewing angle - the photos really don’t do it justice.

Next job is the skirt which I’m going to laminate up in air dried ash and veneer with cherry. However the ash is at the bottom of my timber stack, so I’ll have to wait for a reliably dry day to lug a load of wood outside to get at what I want. Sunday is looking favourite.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Re: Sunburst Dining Table - WIP. Top side complete.

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Dec 2018, 23:18

Love it.

I especially love how the cherry meets in the centre!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 08 Dec 2018, 00:42

Nice work and glad it’s going well.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Dec 2018, 10:56

RogerM wrote:.....
I’m not unhappy with the result. The BEM really “pops” in the light, and almost seems to "flash" as you change your viewing angle - the photos really don’t do it justice.

That's 'chattoyance' for you. And why I love BEM.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Dec 2018, 20:32

That stringing looks gorgeous....I think you should treat yourself to the cordless router body.... It's got L E Ds too

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Sunburst Dining Table - WIP. Photo heavy!

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Dec 2018, 09:51

Rod wrote:Where’s Rob, he’s done a lot of veneering?

Rod

He was having a Singapore Sling (or two) in the Long Room at Raffles :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 23 Dec 2018, 03:31

That is a stunner. You have every privilege to be pleased.

Looks to me like the 'bar' has been raised.
Merry Christmas!
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 24 Dec 2018, 17:17

Jimmy Mack wrote:That stringing looks gorgeous....I think you should treat yourself to the cordless router body.... It's got L E Ds too

Thanks Jimmy. The cordless version would have been useful in this application, but I'm also trying to justify a new camera! :lol:

fiveeyes wrote:That is a stunner. You have every privilege to be pleased. Looks to me like the 'bar' has been raised.
Merry Christmas!

Thanks. It's the first time I've attempted something like this so enjoying the learning process. I've made the apron as shown in the "calculating spring back" thread. Now ready for veneering. Sadly, I'm now banished from having vacuum bag and pump with glued up items curing in the dining room until the new year, :( so the next phase will have to wait a couple of weeks. Happy Xmas!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP