It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:39

Bailey Plane blade protruding

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Bailey Plane blade protruding

Postby woodstalker » 04 Jan 2019, 21:32

Hello all,

I have spent the last week or so after Christmas putting the floor down in my new garage workshop and am just about to embark on a workbench build following the Paul Sellers video using some of the leftover timber from the garage build to do it.

I have not picked up my hand plane for over a year, its a Stanley no. 4. I bought it off eBay ages ago and cleaned it up etc. following another Paul Sellers video to show how to do it. I can remember I had an issue where, despite the blade being retracted as far as the control knob would go, it still protruded ever so slightly meaning there was no means to adjust it. I did sort it out and did a bit of mangling with it before other commitments stopped play.

Having just started planing down the CLS timber offcuts I have, i stopped to sharpen it and its happened again. The blade is protruding ever so slightly when it is backed off as far as it will go. For the life of me I can't remember what i did last time.

Can anyone help; the quarter inch thick shavings are wearing me out!

Regards

Woodstalker
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Bailey Plane blade protruding

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2019, 21:43

Did you try it in another slot? I mean, the parallel slots on the underside of the iron when it is mounted in the plane. If you try the next one up, you might find you get close to the other end of the range of the screw adjuster, but that it solves your problem.

Ooops......you said a number 4. I was thinking of a block plane. Scrap that. Malcolm has the right answer. Ideally your cap iron should be within a gnat's of the cutting edge.
Last edited by Mike G on 04 Jan 2019, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jan 2019, 21:44

WS,

Could it be that you have fixed the cap iron, too high or too low, I can't remember which, on the blade?

Because the adjusting lug engages with the cap iron, if that iron is in the wrong place, then so will the blade be.

HTH.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby woodstalker » 04 Jan 2019, 21:54

Mike G wrote:Did you try it in another slot? I mean, the parallel slots on the underside of the iron when it is mounted in the plane. If you try the next one up, you might find you get close to the other end of the range of the screw adjuster, but that it solves your problem.

Mike, I'm not sure what you mean. There is only a single slot in the cutting iron and one in the cap iron that the depth adjuster engages with?

Malc2098 wrote:WS,

Could it be that you have fixed the cap iron, too high or too low, I can't remember which, on the blade?
Because the adjusting lug engages with the cap iron, if that iron is in the wrong place, then so will the blade be.

HTH.

Malc, the cap iron is just under 2mm from the cutting edge of the cutting iron which is how i did it when i followed Paul Sellers video.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 04 Jan 2019, 22:01

Mike G wrote:Ooops......you said a number 4. I was thinking of a block plane. Scrap that. Malcolm has the right answer. Ideally your cap iron should be within a gnat's of the cutting edge.

Replied as you edited your post!

Thanks both i set the cap iron to about 0.5mm from the edge and it works now. :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jan 2019, 22:04

:text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to Hand Toolery