It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:36

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby MY63 » 12 Jan 2019, 21:48

When you get your tensioning bolt, make sure that it is free to run in the female thread and lubricate it with some grease. Any type will do.

Bob[/quote]

Thanks Bob if it is ok with you when I have all of the pieces I will come back to your with pictures for more detailed instructions.
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby MY63 » 13 Jan 2019, 18:16

Todays progress.
I moved all of the insulation out of my garage into the garden and rammed as much as possible into my shed.
And then some into my neighbours shed I moved the wacker into the garden and spent the next 3 hours trying start it. I was worried about flooding it so I tried and then left it for a while and moved more hard core. It then dragged me around the garden for the next few hours. Everything is now compacted.
I did not get it levelled as I lost so much time with the starting issues but there is always another day.

I have a question about the insulation I was given it has plasterboard glued to it does the plasterboard need to be removed or can it be used as it is.
I am only asking as it does not want to come off. Maybe that is why it was free :D :D :D
I still have a lot of the glass type insulation.
When I dropped off the thank you biscuits I was told I was the first person to take them anything and if I ever need anymore I am welcome.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Jan 2019, 18:18

It’s just insulated plasterboard. It’s made that way so just use it as it is.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2019, 18:21

TrimTheKing wrote:It’s just insulated plasterboard. It’s made that way so just use it as it is.

Plasterboard surface facing inside
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 13 Jan 2019, 20:28

Oh at least that is good news thanks
I have just spoken to my friend who loaned me the Wacker he thinks I need to do some more work with it as I mentioned one or two low spots. So if it is dry tomorrow I will be adding more hardcore and going round again. But I will have a good solid foundation. And I am also doing the path at the same time.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 14 Jan 2019, 17:28

Good news I have managed to obtain a new window from a local supplier for £50 we have had some rain today so it was better use of my time. It is not a large window but natural light will darken untreated leather.

I have not done anything today due to the rain but this is where I left off last night

Image2019-01-14_04-16-40 by my0771, on Flickr

I put the timber there to give me an idea of where the high and low spots are.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2019, 17:43

You're making great progress, Michael.

I'm sorry about the rain...we decided over here to the West of you that we'd 'share the lurv' :lol:

Feb 4th I'm at Morpeth for a hospital appointment and Jan 29th at the RVI so might be able to pop round for an hour or so if you're stuck for labour.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 14 Jan 2019, 19:37

Thanks Roger
Oh do you think I will still be working on it by then. I want it finished asap.
I saw the weather forecast last week and it said we had 10 dry days coming I think we have had two.
Although I read something last night about a chipboard flooring with a hardwearing plastic coating that may push my budget even more.
You could give me a shout next time you are heading to Axminster and we could meet there.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jan 2019, 19:46

Looking good.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 15 Jan 2019, 13:52

Just back from the hospital after having laser treatment to my right eye I hope this means I will be able to get the foundations level now. :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Jan 2019, 14:48

MY63 wrote:Just back from the hospital after having laser treatment to my right eye I hope this means I will be able to get the foundations level now. :)

So that's why mine were all wobbly! :shock:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 15 Jan 2019, 20:53

My freshly lasered eye worked like a charm I gently raked the high spots and added and it tamped down quite easily. Starting at the path and using the straightest timber and a brand new shiny level I worked my way around the other sides making sure they were all at the same level.
When I brought the first block in it was fine and the second the third knocked them to one side so I will have to start over. Rain tomorrow snow Thursday time to go back to leather work :D

I have two questions can the barrier material go under these concrete blocks?

Where I have removed the grass and a little soil for elsewhere inside the blocks I now have quite a gap.
I happen to have 3 large sheets of polystyrene that would fill the hole nicely it would mean the inside of the blocks would be at the same height as the outside still leaving the planned air gap or does there need to be a large gap below would this sit above or below the barrier material ?

Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 15 Jan 2019, 21:27

MY63 wrote:.......I have two questions can the barrier material go under these concrete blocks?

What barrier material? I presume you are talking about the concrete lintels when you say blocks. Is that right?

Where I have removed the grass and a little soil for elsewhere inside the blocks I now have quite a gap.
I happen to have 3 large sheets of polystyrene that would fill the hole nicely it would mean the inside of the blocks would be at the same height as the outside still leaving the planned air gap or does there need to be a large gap below would this sit above or below the barrier material ?

If you are talking about filling in between the lintels with polystyrene, hard up to the underside of a suspended floor, then the answer is no, you need air circulation to evaporate away any condensation or other moisture that finds its way into the void. If that isn't what you were asking, then my apologies.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 15 Jan 2019, 23:19

Sorry I really did not explain that very well at all did I.

Yes when I said blocks I meant lintels sorry about that as I am having stone around the outer edges of the lintels and will be laying a weed barrier around the outside of the lintels as well as inside the lintels . So my question was can the weed barrier be laid under the lintels.

The second question the centre area of the lintels does not have any hardcore in it and will have weed barrier it is about 5 cm below the level of the bottom of the lintels the idea of the polystyrene was to fill this gap up to the outside ground level but would still leave an air gap between the bottom of the joists and the polystyrene.
Having re read your post I think this is a bad idea :)

Mike are you saying the 150 mm of the joists should not be filled completely with insulation ie it should have 100 mm with 50mm for air.

Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 16 Jan 2019, 09:52

Thanks for the clarification.

The weed barrier can (in fact, probably should) be trapped down at the edges by the lintels.

There is absolutely no benefit in putting polystyrene on the ground. Ideally you would have a slight hump rather than a depression in the centre of the area enclosed by the lintels, so it didn't fill with water. Putting polystyrene in there in a hollow would just mean polystyrene floating in a puddle.

Insulating the floor should be done in such a way that air can still circulate below the floor, drying off the bottom edge of the joists. This means the insulation should be between the joists but not below them. If you have 150 deep joists, you can fill with 150 of insulation, so long as there is a clear void (minimum 50mm, hopefully more) left below that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 16 Jan 2019, 11:01

Ok Thanks I have it now.
I can rework the ground under the floor to make sure there is no hollow.

Is there a trick to stop the lintels digging into the hard core base when moving them. I have them resting on pieces of wood waiting to be moved into place.
I would like to get the lintels in place and maybe the DPC in place as the weather is going to change tomorrow.
Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 16 Jan 2019, 11:11

I'm not sure you want to avoid them digging in......so long as they all dig in the same amount. I'd perhaps be tempted to position them a foot or two away but parallel with their final location, then roll them into place. I'd then take either a rubber mallet, or a lump hammer and a cushioning piece of 4x2, and tap them down to line and level.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 16 Jan 2019, 11:14

Ok time to go and do it..
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2019, 11:16

The trick would be to lift them into place, right first time and then place on the hardcore.
I would not expect well whacked hardcore to be moving much?
To give you some wriggle room, you could place two thin , short pieces of wood at right angles to the lintel position one near each end. Lift the lintel onto those and get it into final location, then remove the strips one at a time.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 16 Jan 2019, 12:16

Thanks Bob :D it has started raining quite heavy now so I think I will stop for an early lunch

Image2019-01-16_11-04-25 by my0771, on Flickr

When moving the lintels I was lifting one end andmoving it as one end went up the other end went down and dug into the hard core Mike suggestion of rolling them into place has helped. All 8 lintels are now in place as I am working on my own I am being very careful when lifting especially the 1.8 m ones I really wish I had bought 3 x 1.2m ones which I can just about manage rather than 2 x 1.8m ones which are difficult to say the least.
Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 16 Jan 2019, 13:35

Time for a rethink re reading what Mike G and Bob have said and as I have unlimited use of a whacker clearly as I am getting movement it is not whacked enough.

I have cleared away the lintels and will remove the weed material later before going back to the whacker.

I must apologise for not listening earlier to what was being said.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jan 2019, 13:37

You will always get a bit of movement of the top layer if you’re dragging the lintels over it. If you’re concerned then stick a little more down and whacker it to oblivion, then put the lintels back and either take a bit out to bring it down or hammer and block as Mike says.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 16 Jan 2019, 13:43

Don't worry about re-whacking. I would be perfectly happy to see this sort of building built on, say, a trench full of unconsolidated pea-shingle. Get all the lintels in the right sort of place, and whack them all down to line and level.....force some extra material into any obvious low bits, and undermine any high bits which cause a see-saw effect, and that really will do. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you are really struggling to bed things properly, just chuck a few spadefuls of sand down around the line of the lintels, and sit them on that. The building will acts as one, and the lintels' job is simply to hold it up in the air off the ground. You aren't aiming to replicate a concrete foundation with whacked-down hardcore.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Jan 2019, 14:17

TrimTheKing wrote:.......... If you’re concerned then stick a little more down and whacker it to oblivion.......

No, I really wouldn't do that. You want some loose stuff on the top for the lintels to settle into. Whacking the lintels once they're in position is all the consolidation that the substrate requires.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jan 2019, 14:18

Mike G wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:.......... If you’re concerned then stick a little more down and whacker it to oblivion.......

No, I really wouldn't do that. You want some loose stuff on the top for the lintels to settle into. Whacking the lintels once they're in position is all the consolidation that the substrate requires.

<Crawls back into his hole...>

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds