It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:24

Chisel sharpening service?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Chisel sharpening service?

Postby Chems » 13 Jan 2019, 23:48

Does anyone know a good place that I could send my very chipped and dull LN chisels for good sharpen?
Chems
Seedling

Name:

Re: Chisel sharpening service?

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jan 2019, 11:05

You could try this company, one place in Somerset, the other in Scotland. They sharpened my planer blades and I know they sharpen all types of saw. Might be worth a try.

https://www.eps-services.co.uk/about
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 14 Jan 2019, 11:29

Chems wrote:Does anyone know a good place that I could send my very chipped and dull LN chisels for good sharpen?

Hi Chems,
long time no hear from you so glad to see you have not dropped off the edge of the world. :)

I have never heard of anyone sending their chisels to be sharpened. If you don't have a grinder even the biggest nicks and chips can be ground down with the aid of a good guide and some wet and dry or varying grits. Takes time that's all
I use the Eclipse type like the current offering from Axminster.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe a member local to you can offer to help if you are scarred of damaging your LNs. One to one is far better than any any youtube video.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 14 Jan 2019, 16:03

Andyp wrote:
Chems wrote:Does anyone know a good place that I could send my very chipped and dull LN chisels for good sharpen?

Hi Chems,
long time no hear from you so glad to see you have not dropped off the edge of the world. :)

I have never heard of anyone sending their chisels to be sharpened. If you don't have a grinder even the biggest nicks and chips can be ground down with the aid of a good guide and some wet and dry or varying grits. Takes time that's all
I use the Eclipse type like the current offering from Axminster.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe a member local to you can offer to help if you are scarred of damaging your LNs. One to one is far better than any any youtube video.
Yes if you are close enough to visit me I would be willing to share a sharpening session with you, I am just outside Sudbury in Suffolk.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Jan 2019, 16:25

Andyp wrote:

Yep, happy to help if you're near me - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jan 2019, 17:04

:text-+1:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2019, 17:40

TrimTheKing wrote::text-+1:

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jan 2019, 19:42

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote::text-+1:

Mid-Devon.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Chems » 14 Jan 2019, 23:50

Thanks all for the many offers. I must confess that I am actually quite adapt at sharpening now days but it's just the time factor! I keep going to get them mid job, see there in need of a long sharpening session, put them back in the box thinking I'll do it later and the whole process repeats next sawdust session! So I thought sending them off might be a better idea.

I have not fallen off the world thankfully, still making the sawdust. I made a kitchen in 2017/2018 including a curved unit which almost finished me off. Paul Barrow makes it look so easy!
Chems
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking